SG2100 and 120cm dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vj9999

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 27, 2005
I know Cascade uses this in his setup. I just put up my 120cm on sg2100. The motor handles the dish just fine, but here is my problem. Motor's shaft seems to have a little give (if i move it by hand I can move it 1-2 degrees lef right). This was never a problem with my 90cm dish, but now since 120cm is twice as heavy, If I go to g10r for example, because of the weight of the dish it actually pulls it to apporximately 124.3-4 degrees.

If I move the dish manually it locks in and I get a good signal. I can also change the location of g10r to be 121.5 or so and because of the give it will actually be at 123. If I do this, I get 83% signal quality on The Tube.

I guess it is more of a nuisance than a problem :) I also have sm3d12, but I don't want to lose all my eastern sats since it's rotation angle is a little smaller.

Anyway, I guess the real question does anyone elses sg2100 has this give (feels lose a bit)? Maybe 2 years of use and windy Chicago area finally got to my sg2100.

vj9999, I may order the 50mm shaft for the SG2100 for mine, it's been thrashed about a lot over the last year and has a very small amount of play.
I reckon the new shaft should fix it, I have a feeling it's coming from the spline it bolts onto.

How do you like the 120cm dish?

I love it. It is big, but I keep telling my wife it is only 6 inches all around bigger than 90 cm dish :)

Mine has that much play on a 36" dish & it's less than a year old. Was thinking about a 120 since Cascade's success with his.

vj9999, are you playing with C band on the 120? If so, hows it working?

PD

I am not playing with C band yet. I ordered an ASC421 from PSB. It should be here early next week.

Well. I fixed my "play/give" with sg2100. I took my whole setup down. On the bottom of the motor ther is a "warranty void if seal is broken label. behin it are two screws. These two screws(and 2 nuts on the inside) hold the motor and main gear tight in place. Mine were pretty loose. I thight end them up and now there is no play when moving it by hand (and very little , almost unnoticable' when it is holding a 120cm dish).

PSB said:
Cool nothing better than an easy fix!

The fix was easy, but taking the 120cm dish down from 15 feet height was a difficult part. I didn't have enought time tonight, but I'll have to fine tune my arc again. I am getting strong signals on all my sats (thanks to the huge dish :) ), but further I get east, I have to adjust sats to be more west and further I get east, I have to adjust sats to be more east (foreaxmple to get optimal signal from pas9 I have to set it to be at 58.7W instead of 58 and to get the max signal from g10r Ihave ot set it to be at 122.2W instead of 123W). I think I might have to raise my motor's elevation a little bit and lower the dish elevation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)