SG2100 Motor Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hunkyspunky

Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
Hello all,
I have been running an Sg2100 for 6 years with no issues until recently,
My motor right now has no problem going from west to east, however you have to play with it to get it to go from east-west, especially after you haven't moved it.
I have already tried setting it to zero resetting motor. and resetting receiver and removing limiter sensor, but i get the same results,
any ideas or has anyone had this issue?
thanks

They don't make 2100's like that any more.

Some of the things discussed, include the lubricant caking up.
Or maybe freezing up
The obvious solution would be to clean it out and use a top of the line grease.
And I mean lithium or molybdenum disulfide axle grease!

Another common problem is sticking relays.
You *can* change them if you are good at soldering.

There could be other common failure modes.
Best to search the forum for more info on the above.
And do read about repairs to other motors for more ideas. ;)

Could also be the backlash adjustment and the gear might be binding. Here is a bulletin for how to adjust: http://dmsiusa.com/docs/Backlash Adjustment.pdf
  • What size (or brand and model) dish?
  • Does the problem happen at the top of the arc or lower towards the horizon?
If it is only occurring when traveling in one direction, the electronics may be at fault as Anole suggests.

I would actually bet on the relay/s if we were gambling for it, I think it is a safe bet.

Merely because I have witnessed this failure before and replacing the relays was the fix. Plus the age on the motor = cycle time for
the relays. It's an SG2100 and I know something about the "quality" of the relays they were manufactured with back about that time
- from research we conducted about five to seven years ago when my brother had this trouble with his SG2100. Add to that the fact
that this problem just recently began appearing and that it is mainly affecting one direction of travel. Since one relay drives it east and
one west, it has to be the one relay responsible for the west travel. My brother located some more robust relays to replace his with,
but there was some modifications that he had to contend with because the terminal leg assignments were not the same. Obviously, if
going to all the work to replace one, you had better replace both since they both have the same predicted life expectancy and both have
obviously done nearly an equal share of work throughout the years.

Of course I would recommend troubleshooting the matter to verify this to be so before proceeding with any repairs.
In other words, you're holding the cards, so you probably better look at them closely before making a wager.

RADAR

Thanks for your help took motor apart was backlash, years of usage must have loosened or tightened it, regreased to thanks for the help

Well, in all fairness, I forgot the obvious: backlash.
(everyone checks that first; ya don't NEED to mention it!). ;)

And there's always an intermittent connection at one if the coax connectors.
(didn't really fit his symptoms)

Then ya check 'em in order of easiest to hardest.
Relays would be the most tricky to verify/replace.

If none of the above fixed it, and there were no physical signs of component damage, I might cut my losses and move on.

With your backlash & grease job, next failure and it'll be relays or the trash can.
It's already into its golden years! ;)
Congrats on a job well done.

Great job! Always good to see someone who is willing to get their hands greasy and not afraid of "fixin' the tractor"!

The old SG2100 motors were well built and I have a few around that are nearing 10 years old. The new ones are unfortunately cheap and not very well constructed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts