Status
Please reply by conversation.

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
Anyone ever had their 2100 only run one way? One of mine only will run west. It's all the way west, I tried to run it back and forth at the motor, it only ran west. I reset the motor and tried again, now I have a flashing red light of death. :(
It did rain last night, could moisture have gotten into something? :confused:

It would not run East even when pushing the buttons? Is this the new style sg2100 (East and West buttons), or old style (just one button)? When you reset it, did it drive back to the middle, or is it still stuck all the way West?

I'd at least give it another try by connecting the receiver directly to the motor (with a fresh cable) just to see if there is anything in the connection causing a problem. I doubt the cabling will be a problem since it's just diseqc commands, and an "East" command wouldn't take any different requirements to be sent/received than a "West" command (unless there might be a "voltage" issue that is not supplying enough power to move the dish back East - if there is a weight issue making it harder to drive back East). I'm betting you're gonna have to crack it open and poke around in there though :/

I had the same problem with my Sadoun sg2100, one button motor. I finally opened the case and found that some of the wires protruding from the circuit board were too long and were touching the divider (inside the cover) between the circuit board and the motor. I clipped the wires and haven't had any problems with it since. Try moving the motor east with the cover from the motor off (if it's a Sadoun motor). Never had an issue with my dmsi sg2100, 2 button motor.

Stogie, yes, this happened to my first 2100, got it replaced on warranty and the second one worked perfect. In my case this was supposedly a brand new motor out of the box.

It would not run East even when pushing the buttons? Is this the new style sg2100 (East and West buttons), or old style (just one button)? When you reset it, did it drive back to the middle, or is it still stuck all the way West?

I'd at least give it another try by connecting the receiver directly to the motor (with a fresh cable) just to see if there is anything in the connection causing a problem. I doubt the cabling will be a problem since it's just diseqc commands, and an "East" command wouldn't take any different requirements to be sent/received than a "West" command (unless there might be a "voltage" issue that is not supplying enough power to move the dish back East - if there is a weight issue making it harder to drive back East). I'm betting you're gonna have to crack it open and poke around in there though :/

I'll let DMSI crack into it, its only about four months old. :)

Its one of the new style two button motors, my other one is the old style. I tell you, there is a world of difference between the quality of them, too. The older ones are much better, IMO.

I tried to help it back up the arc, the motor does not try to move back east, it just clicks very faintly and the red light comes on.:(

2100 motors

I had the same problem with my Sadoun sg2100, one button motor.
I finally opened the case and found that some of the wires protruding from the circuit board were too long and were touching the divider (inside the cover) between the circuit board and the motor.
I clipped the wires and haven't had any problems with it since.
I recently examined a one-button version which had died (of other causes), and was aghast to see no insulator under the PC board.
If built and assembled properly, that -could- be okay in theory.
But, in practice, I'd never let it out the door!
Some damned manufacturing engineer probably got a gold star for saving half a penny per motor!

On a similar note, there are some moving wires inside the motor housing.
I think they go to the limit switches.
It's possible one of them broke (a poor design).
That might cause your problem.
And from inspection, it looked like they could be mangled by the mechanism, if they weren't located perfectly.
That could happen if ya opened the case, and didn't know exactly how to dress the wires before reassembly.

I was wrong, it's five months old...but in any case I've submitted a RMA to DMSI, simple and quick. I'll keep y'all updated. :up

Did you try running a feed directly to the motor without any switches or splitters before it and without any LNBF or switches after it? Give that a try.

I tell you, there is a world of difference between the quality of them, too. The older ones are much better, IMO.

I have two of the older style. One of those has been on the roof for 2+ years without any problems. The other I am preparing to install for a second motorized dish.

I've always wondered if water could roll into the mechanism from the slots where the hardware limits are set. Again, never had any problems, but those slots have made me wonder. If there is any harsh environment relating to water, New Orleans is that place :rolleyes:

I talked with a young man at DMSI, he called me, I told him what I did and what did he suggest, he suggested I send it in. Since the P.O. is closed Monday I am going to try the direct cable without a switch, but I don't see how that would make a difference unless there is a direct short in the switch not allowing the current to pass to move it, but if there is a short it should be in BOTH directions, should it not? The motor did move westward...at least until I drove it all the way westward with the buttons on the motor trying to get it to go back east...

If I recall correctly, a couple of other members had this same problem, the motor moving all the way in one direction. In one case it was solved with a motor reset, and in the other, I believe they sent a replacement.

...I am going to try the direct cable without a switch, but I don't see how that would make a difference unless there is a direct short in the switch not allowing the current to pass to move it, but if there is a short it should be in BOTH directions, should it not?

This is to eliminate the possibility the switch/cable/connectors might be the problem.
If the motor works directly then you have eliminated the motor as the problem.

One observation on the 2100 motors. According to Motek, the only true maker of the motors is "Motek" and there are at least two other copies of this motor on the market (they call them "plagiarized" motors).

I checked it out yesterday with just the motor, receiver and a cable. No go. It went back to DMS today Priority mail. I'll keep y'all updated.

Heard from a nice young man at DMS today, he called me and asked what the problem was, he said he hooked it up and reset it and it moved right back to home position. :mad:

Seems as if the Sonicview strikes again. I told him that the red light was clearly flashing when I tried to move the motor, either with the receiver or the buttons on the motor itself. He said he's never seen a red flashing light on an SG2100. he said he was going to cycle it all night, then maybe go ahead and replace the control board for me.

He said he'd call me back tomorrow with the results. :cool:

Stay Tuned. :up

Young man called me back, confirming that the motor ran flawlessly overnight, but not wanting me to worry, he was going to go ahead and send me a NEW motor to make SURE that the problem was solved!
That was entirely unwarranted and totally above and beyond, IMO, DMS is a fantastic company to do business with. You can be sure that if I need something in the future, the DMS name will be on it if at all possible. :up:up:up:up:up

Thanks for the info Stogie that kind of service is just about unheard of these days. I've been thinking about a stab motor, but hearing that has changed my mind. (that, and your signature says
you are using them on 1m primestar dishes, like I plan on)

Dang, too bad they won't replace the RG6 connectors that bust off the board if you "overtighten" them (or just plain connect and disconnect cables a few dozen time) so easily!

...and danged if FedEx didn't knock on my door at about 2:00 CST with a brand new motor in hand, new brackets and all! :up:up:up

Fantastic service!

Thanks for the info Stogie that kind of service is just about unheard of these days. I've been thinking about a stab motor, but hearing that has changed my mind. (that, and your signature says
you are using them on 1m primestar dishes, like I plan on)

if you need some pics, LMK. I am getting ready to build another mount for this motor, the old mount that I used on the 84e dish, which I adapted to the 1m, was not quite stable enough. So I am going to build another one like I had on my first P*.

by all means !

if you need some pics, LMK. I am getting ready to build another mount for this motor, the old mount that I used on the 84e dish, which I adapted to the 1m, was not quite stable enough. So I am going to build another one like I had on my first P*.
By all means, open a new thread, and load it full of pix.
Everybody will enjoy, and we can send the newbies to your thread instead of to the old ones. :cool:
Maybe you'll come up with new materials, new ideas, or make some new discovery.
I can't wait! - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts