SG2100 Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
1) What size nuts fit onto the "U" bolts? It tried a 5/16 nut and it started to go on, but then stops and can't be turned anymore without ripping into the threads. My thought is that it is metric.

2) Does anyone have a 1.2m dish mounted to this motor and did they notice and negative side effects? I build a lightweight mount and the dish weighs 23 lbs.

3) Can you buy replacement "U" bolts and parts for the SG2100 motor drive?

4) Has anyone ever painted their SG2100 motor drive? I just painted the pole black and the dish will remain gray. I was thinking of painting the motor drive black as well, but might not to save time. It would be a lot of work painting all the brackets, nuts, U bolts and nuts.

Thank You,
Dave

You can buy replacement parts for the SG-2100, including the u-bolts. The metal in the bolts is soft and strips pretty easily. Can't help with your other questions

I painted my SG2100 black to match the pole and mount and it looks great. I will post pictures soon along with the mount I designed to work with the 1.2m dish.

PopcornNMore said:
1) What size nuts fit onto the "U" bolts? It tried a 5/16 nut and it started to go on, but then stops and can't be turned anymore without ripping into the threads. My thought is that it is metric.

2) Does anyone have a 1.2m dish mounted to this motor and did they notice and negative side effects? I build a lightweight mount and the dish weighs 23 lbs.

3) Can you buy replacement "U" bolts and parts for the SG2100 motor drive?

4) Has anyone ever painted their SG2100 motor drive? I just painted the pole black and the dish will remain gray. I was thinking of painting the motor drive black as well, but might not to save time. It would be a lot of work painting all the brackets, nuts, U bolts and nuts.

Thank You,
Dave

I suspect the nuts are metric ?

Get some good old American thread size allthread , nuts , washers and lock washers and make yout own , if you mess up what came with the motor .

As far as painting the hardware , you could dip them , but if you paint any threads , you will regret it . :-(

Wyr

Popcorn, I recently weatherproofed my SG-2100. This included painting the motor shaft (not the motor itself) flat grey, and, most importantly, changing out the factory U-bolts.

This involves drilling out the holes in the SG-2100 mounting bracket to 3/8", and using the 3/8" square U-bolts available at Ace Hardware. I also further "squared out" the inside corners of the U-bolts so they would fit better against the bracket. It takes a lot of hacking on the metal, but the finished product looks and works great. After squaring out the U-bolts, I painted them with grey primer for good measure, as well as the bracket and pole clamps.

Since this weatherproofing, I've had absolutely no corrosion on my motor assembly.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts