SG2100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

giraffejumper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
I am having trouble figuring out WHERE on the 2100 to line up the bolts for elevation/latitude/etc...
The directions aren't much help, as this does NOT look like 40 degrees to me!:
40.jpg

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
-phil

There is an arrow on the motor as noted in the bottom left picture...that is what gets lined up to the same as your latitude

There is an arrow on the motor as noted in the bottom left picture...that is what gets lined up to the same as your latitude.
It just confuses me because it says the picture in the bottom left should be at 40.
I must be looking at the wrong thing because it looks like it is at 44. And that the 40 is covered up by the bolt.
A friend of mine that installs dishnetwork has been helping me with this and is stumped.
Apparently that is easier to setup.
I have learned an awful lot on this forum and ftavideos.com just in the last few days alone.
Now I need a better ladder to reach my setup to tinker with it since his arms are longer than mine!
I have a viewsat extreme with an sg2100 and a wineguard 2076. We put the motor in upside down after watching a video with a different kind of motor! That is how ignorant we are to fta! Even though he knows satellite installation well.
So I don't even know how to turn the motor to anything because when I push the east button - it goes west! (this will also be fixed with a bigger ladder!)
I finally figured out that I have a quad invacom and can (supposedly) receive both linear and circular waves. But I only have circular plugged in (before I knew I could do both).
Apparently - my dish is picking up great reception on Nimiq 2 82.0 W even though my receiver thinks it is Echostar 9. I looked it up on Lyngsat and it says that I actually am looking at Nimiq 2 and after a blind scan - the channels came up exactly like it said. However - no picture or sound, but a channel list along with channel guide and what is coming on. Is this linear?
How can you tell on Lyngsat Which is linear and which is circular? As soon as I get a bigger ladder - it shouldn't matter as much!
Thanks.
-phil

The SG2100 manual is rather confusing at this point. If it says "40* - Declination angle" what they mean is "40* MINUS Declination angle". In your case does that make any more sense? This one threw me off for hours.

Make sure you look at both sides of the motor... there are two angle meters on elevation. Make sure you are doing the reading from the right one.

On the motor, there are 2 sets of numbers. On one side it says "Elevation" and the other side says "Latitude". Use the latitude side and line the arrow up with what your latitude is. The picture above was a REFERENCE. Everybody's latitude is different depending on where you live. Where I am (Minneapolis) we are at 44.7 latitude...so I set it to 45 latitude with the arrow.

colbec said:
The SG2100 manual is rather confusing at this point. If it says "40* - Declination angle" what they mean is "40* MINUS Declination angle".
I think you are talking about the dish. The motor setup is the same as your latitude :)

The SG2100 manual is rather confusing at this point. If it says "40* - Declination angle" what they mean is "40* MINUS Declination angle". In your case does that make any more sense? This one threw me off for hours.
Ok. According to the chart that came with my motor, my latitude is 33, elevation is 57, and the declination is 5.377(Birmingham, AL). So does that mean 40 minus 5.377? Declination setting=34.623

Now I am getting even more confused, because the chart on this page shows 30 minus!

I thought I had it figured out except for how to get the bolts correct, and now this!
Thanks guys,
-phil

Use the "Find My Nearest South Satellite" feature on the GeoSatFinder website to determine your true south satellite.

Thanks!
This comes in handy.
I live in Pleasant Grove, AL 35127.
It says my nearest south satellite is AMC 3 (87.0 W).
Compass Reading: 182.4 deg.
Dish Elevation: 51.1 deg.
LNBF Rotation: +0.0 deg.

However, my manual says my latitude is 33, elevation is 57, and declination is 5.377.

Does the elevation change this much as the motor moves - or am I really just that confused?

However, my manual says my latitude is 33, elevation is 57, and declination is 5.377.

Does the elevation change this much as the motor moves - or am I really just that confused?
The elevation marking on your motor should be set at 90°-33°=57° and the elevation for your dish should be 30°-5.4°=24.6°. (The 30° is the bend angle of your motor shaft)

If you have latitude markings on your motor you can use those (instead of the elevation markings) and set your motor to you latitude of 33°.
Bob

Make sure the arrow on the motor is on Zero. Connect the dish to the motor and move it around, by hand, until you find your southern most satellite. Then set up your reciever, for me I used USALS and set it to your bird and let it move the dish. Now the motor thinks its on your bird so go out and readjust your motor, should only be left or right, until you find it again. Now you should be in good shape only a few adjustments after that. I drove myself crazy trying to set elevation and all that so I figured If I found that one bird my elevation shold be good and It has worked great ever since. Good Luck

I have replied to this same question in this thread:
Somebody Help me with True South?
Maybe they should be merged.
Bob
Yeah - my post about the Geosatfinder was actually supposed to be in that thread instead of this one. My bad. I guess I hit the wrong button.
I am really used to the shavemyface.com forum and this one is definitely different.

Anyway - I appreciate all the help and info from everyone!
With this info, a ladder, and a bit of luck - I might have this thing going by 2010! (I hope I am just kidding!)
-phil

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts