Sginal Trouble After Snow?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trckn4life

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Hi, I just had Direct Tv installed about 2.25 months ago. Last night we had about 3 inches of snow and my local signal seems to be ok, but the other signals (I have the HD Dvr) will sit and try to aquire forever. But I can get some of the channels in the 70's (by spot checking) but for example 501, 512, 278, 229 will Not come in. I'm guessing it has to do with snow/ice on my slimline dish (I believe that's what it's called). I tried getting on a ladder outside with a broom to see if I could clear it off, but I can't even reach it. I do have the protection plan. Should I call Direct Tv? Is there any trick to keep this from happening in the future?
Thanks.

When I lived up in the Chicago area if we had a wet/heavy snow it would end up sticking to the dish and/or the LNB head which caused signal loss. Your local channels come via spot beams and they usually have a little bit stronger signal so you could still get those while loosing the others.

As for your solution, what I used to do was get out the garden hose and wash the snow off. Others have recommended a Super Soaker water gun to was the snow off.

I tried resetting my hr21-700 and not it can't find the signal at all and just sits there. *ugh* I'd hate to see what it's like in a nasty snow storm. Is there any coating you can safely put on the dish that might help prevent this?

well I guess at some point soon I need to at least pickup a super soaker or maybe a heater (I may be moving south within the next 6 mths so I think I'll wait for now).

I did some more reading online on the error I was getting...after multiple reboots it would not get the signal and hang when trying to download the guide.

What I did is unplug the box for about 5 minutes and also had the two satellite runs unplugged during this time, plugged it back in and I'm good to go. I thought this was odd, but I know little about satellites...I thought I'd note this in case it helps anyone else.

Or fill it with hot water, never good to have antifreeze ending up in the ground.

I see the smiley, but still wanted to point it out.

Only the real wet heavy snow will cause signal problem. All winter, I've only had one time where my signal dipped and I had to wipe down the dish - and we've had alot more snow than we usually do.

Seriously, if you can get some snow off the dish reflector and the inside end of the LNB, you'll probably be good to go.

If you use a Super Soaker, fill it with antifreeze. :D
Automotive antifreeze has ethylene glycol (sp?) which will kill dogs.....gotta be careful. Vodka & warm water, however, just makes them stupid for a while.
Windshield deicer will also work. Putting a black plastic bag over the arm & dish also works but without a ladder you are screwed.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)