Shared Playback with hopper and joey?

agarrett22

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Terre haute, IN
I don't know about everyone else but I would like to see them make it so a Joey can join a viewing of a dvr recording so that we could walk from room to room watching the same thing and pause it from any station causes everyone's viewing pause. I know not everyone would find this useful but when working around the house it would be nice to have

( or vice versa hopper join Joey viewing dvr content :) )

I agree with you, my wife has TV on each room while doing things in the house. At night she like me working the dvr while she in the other room. My fix was to run a spliter and mirror the joey, plus I have rf modulator for SD out.

This is something that we need in our house also. The wife will be working in the bedroom but wants to watch the same thing as I am in the Living Room with me controlling the remote. I use to be able to do this on our DirecTV system by having all the DVRs in the central closet feeding the TV via an RF modulator, but that was only SD and now all of the TVs are HD.

Basically, we need the ability to optionally slave a Joey to the same output feed as the Hopper.

Not having this feature is the top of my list of the few complaints about our new (installed May 2nd) Hopper/Joey system. Our bedtime routine with the old 722 was my wife going up to bed a little before 10pm and reading while kind of paying attention to the recorded program I was playing downstairs. She really misses this becaure I did all the fast forwarding through commercials, etc. and she got to watch if she wanted to. I tried mirroring the Hopper to the master bedroom but the picture and sound was really bad with lots of static. So we will be using the Joey which works fine with good HD picture and sound using the same cable.

Like I said this is our major complaint after changing - it would be really nice if we had it again.

I'm confused. What are you not able to do with the Hopper? Are you saying you can't pause one TV then go to another room and then watch that show where you left off?

Simple, she presses the red button and selects (joins) what you are watching on the other TV. Works great as long as no one changes channels, then you have to re-join.

I'm also not following, not saying you guys are wrong but seems what you want can be done? Can't you join/watch on a joey what ever tuner or whatever recorded program is playing? I'm certain there has been discussion about this - that you could watch the same recorded program.....

I think I understand it a little more now. Are you talking about watching a recorded show? I see that when I start watching a recorded show and then go to the other room and select the same recording they both watch them separately. Now I can start watching a recorded show in one room, press pause, go to another room and resume that recorded show.

If you do exactly what you just posted, what happens if you go back to the first room after unpausing the show in the second room? Is it still paused? stopped? Or playing?

You can watch the live channel the Joey or Hopper is watching but not the recorded program that the Joey or Hopper is playing.

If you can find a way please post it! So far I haven't.

Don't how that could work or even see many people wanting to do it actually. Each location accesses the the HHD separately. As soon as a location accesses a DVR show it actually frees up a tuner. If you want to the two rooms to join the same recorded show just pause the one and go into the DVR in the other room and resume the show. If the show has been paused in two different locations it will ask you which location you want to pick up the recording from.

OK, really frustrated that this thread exists adn that there are not clear YES answers.

I have two TVs on the same floor, completely across the large open room from each other (way too far for HDMI + splitter) and was expecting the "join" was going to make the one that joined a slave and that you would see the same thing regardless of channel changing or whether the program being watched was off DVR. This is how we watch TV EVERY NIGHT. One TV is on kitchen bar counter and can be swivled so that the person in the kitchen can watch the same program as the dining/living room. So when one person gets up from the couch to get a drink or to cook we don't miss the show being watched and the other person does not have to pause or rewind to catch them up.

Are you telling me with the Hopper/Joey and multiple HDTVs I can't do the simple whole-house 622 watching I currently do with one HDTV and mutiple SDTVs via the RF modulator? And no I don't want to put in RF modulation in my planned Hopper/Joey setup - the whole point is to upgrade all the TVs to HD. :mad:

Yes, There is no mirroring , as running hdmi and a spliter, I have a 50 feet hdmi cable connect to the Joey. It works great, i have 4 remote connect to the Joey so I can change channel. My hopper and Joey is 2 feet appart, and rf for ad tv.

If you are a regular on this site would have hoped that you already knew what the capabilities and the limitations of the Hopper were. The Hopper system is not meant to mirroring the same exact content from room to room like TV2 of a dual tuner does. The system is meant to have HD DVR in multiple rooms with access to the same content.

If you want to have a mirrored image on another TV you will have to use an RF modulator and have it hooked up the way your current setup is. Note that it will not be in HD. You could also use a wireless transmitter that would allow it to be in HD but those are more costly. I use one on my Hopper in the basement to mirror to my TV in my bedroom. works great.

OK, really frustrated that this thread exists adn that there are not clear YES answers.

I have two TVs on the same floor, completely across the large open room from each other (way too far for HDMI + splitter) and was expecting the "join" was going to make the one that joined a slave and that you would see the same thing regardless of channel changing or whether the program being watched was off DVR. This is how we watch TV EVERY NIGHT. One TV is on kitchen bar counter and can be swivled so that the person in the kitchen can watch the same program as the dining/living room. So when one person gets up from the couch to get a drink or to cook we don't miss the show being watched and the other person does not have to pause or rewind to catch them up.

Are you telling me with the Hopper/Joey and multiple HDTVs I can't do the simple whole-house 622 watching I currently do with one HDTV and mutiple SDTVs via the RF modulator? And no I don't want to put in RF modulation in my planned Hopper/Joey setup - the whole point is to upgrade all the TVs to HD. :mad:

I am waiting for my install, but the inability to be able to mirror the hopper on a joey using the "join" button is surprising. It misrepresents what the "join" button should do. Why would the join button behave differently depending on what the hopper is displaying? If I am at a joey and I want to join a hopper, shouldn't that mean I want to watch what the person watching the hopper is watching? I don't understand the logic of even having a feature to join a hopper tuner that the hopper is not using because a dvr event is being played. This system is designed for roommates, not families.

you misunderstand what 'join' means. what the hopper is viewing is irrealivant. you don't 'join' the hopper you 'join' the tuner. the only reason you 'connect' to a hopper is for access to it's content not to watch what it is watching.

FWIW I mirror my hopper to a couple of other tv's in HD with a wireless HD system. Could also be done wired since hopper has 2 HD outputs active at all times. The OP's issue is easily solved.

you misunderstand what 'join' means. what the hopper is viewing is irrealivant. you don't 'join' the hopper you 'join' the tuner. the only reason you 'connect' to a hopper is for access to it's content not to watch what it is watching.

tuner is wrong, here. it should be data source. could be tuner, harddrive, OTA dongle...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)