Shareholders Waiting For Ergen To Decide On EchoStar's Future

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Sell it or take it private.

If Charles Ergen, EchoStar's (NasdaqNM:DISH - News) chief executive, chairman and controlling shareholder, takes either step, investors likely would cheer.

EchoStar's stock swooned 18% in 2005, despite a late-year rally that began in mid-November. Shares rose amid rumors that phone giant AT&T (NYSE:T - News) might try to buy EchoStar, the nation's No. 2 satellite TV broadcaster behind DirecTV (NYSE:DTV - News).

That rally has stalled. While speaking at last week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Ergen denied any plans to sell the company he founded. And AT&T might have other priorities, such as trying to buy BellSouth (NYSE:BLS - News), some analysts say.

And EchoStar shareholders continue to speculate on chances the company will be taken private. That scenario gained support after two midsize cable TV firms, Cox and Insight, went private over the past two years.

Since Ergen controls roughly 90% of EchoStar's voting stock, the path to privatization would be easier than it's been for other companies. Adding to shareholder hopes to make more money from their stock has been the company's policy of buying back shares, as well as Ergen's own comments about the travails of being a public company.

"Speculation has cooled about an AT&T acquisition, but privatization has always seemed more likely," said Craig Moffett, an analyst at Bernstein Research.

More likely, but anything but certain, says Moffett.

EchoStar's board authorized a stock buyback of up to $1 billion in August 2004. Set to expire last August, the board extended the buyback's duration through 2006. As of Oct. 31, 2005, about $200 million in shares had been acquired.

Littleton, Colo.-based EchoStar has a market valuation of about $13 billion. Ergen owns about $7 billion in Class B stock, which has more voting rights than the Class A stock, giving him a firm hold on the company.

Ergen has been a maverick in the pay-TV industry for two decades. He chose to take on DirecTV, a satellite service originally launched by General Motors' (NYSE:GM - News) subsidiary Hughes Networks.

EchoStar passed the 12 million subscriber mark in December. DirecTV, now controlled by News Corp. (NYSE:NWS - News), has more than 15 million customers.

And EchoStar's profit is up. Its third-quarter net income rose to 46 cents per share from 22 cents in the year-earlier quarter.

Shares in DirecTV and cable TV firms also have lagged amid fierce competition. Analysts say both DirecTV and EchoStar face higher marketing costs than before, and they already had higher costs than cable TV firms.

SBC Communications, now AT&T, invested $500 million in EchoStar in 2003. AT&T offers EchoStar's Dish service in a product bundle along with its own Internet access and phone service.

AT&T has been upgrading its residential network to fiber-optic wiring so that it can sell TV services, similar to cable firms. EchoStar could give them a better option. Some analysts say AT&T could drop its fiber and instead buy EchoStar.

Ergen, 53 years old, might not be ready to sell out. He's been ambitious. Although the smaller company, EchoStar agreed in 2001 to buy DirecTV from GM. Regulators blocked the deal in 2002 on antitrust grounds, leading to DirecTV's sale to News Corp.

Some pundits speculate that Murdoch might try to buy EchoStar, but only if Ergen is willing to sell.

Any such deal might depend on timing, says Blair Levin, an analyst at Stifel, Nicolaus & Co.

"A DirecTV-EchoStar deal in the near term would meet the same fate as the earlier deal -- rejection," he said.

But Levin says regulators could warm up to a merger if the pay-TV market changes. That might depend on whether phone companies follow through on plans to sell pay-TV, or if Internet video booms.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/060112/tech.html?.v=2

E*'s peak growth days are over. Cable is no longer the patsy with their analog only channels, Fios is coming to kick 'em in the teeth, and D* is led by a guy who can control content AND distribution.

I know his ego is legend, but if I were him I'd be thinking about cashing out while the value is at its highest.....

BobMurdoch said:
E*'s peak growth days are over. Cable is no longer the patsy with their analog only channels, Fios is coming to kick 'em in the teeth, and D* is led by a guy who can control content AND distribution.
I know his ego is legend, but if I were him I'd be thinking about cashing out while the value is at its highest.....

I agree about the peak growth days being over. That is why both E* and D* are moving toward a lease only business strategy. It will provide a steady stream of revenue in the face of declining subscriber growth.

Money isn't the primary motivating factor for people like Charlie. I'm sure he has enough wealth outside E* to live the rest of his life in opulent comfort. If he sells or steps down some day, it will be because he has tired of the game, or feels he has accomplished everything he set out to. IMHO.

NightRyder

Last edited:
BobMurdoch said:

Yo Bob

Hey, even if the guy loses 90% of his current wealth, he'll still have a billion bucks. Why would he care!

And, I have to say, my house is wired with fiber. But, my cable co is CHARTER - who is in the running for last place in customer satisfaction. Fiber by itself isn't everything. My fiber video stunk. I didn't have a single really good channel. Let me tell you my current movie channels are way better (and there are more of them) than the same channels from CHARTER. Now, I admit, this may not be true for other cable companies. But, CHARTER is the one I'm stuck with. It's easy to bash D* or E* for customer support, but once you've had CHARTER you'll be ecstatic with either of the satellite companies.

Oh I know.... being the boss has more appeal to him than the dollars. But I wonder of future growth will be middling at best......

I keep hearing about how great Fios will be and how much bandwidth they will have. I agree though.... their DSL service is just soso. I wonder if they will figure out a way to screw it up.....

Chris Walker said:
Waiting for Ergen to decide? How much clearer does "not for sale" and "these rumors are false" need to be?

Primary shareholders obviously know something is up. "not for sale" and "these rumors are false" could be a way to try to keep stock prices from shooting up why they silently buy up all avaliable stock to take the company private. Then buyout all remaining shareholders at a negotiated price that would be muct lower than if he went out and said the rumors are possible. He comes out and says he is going to buyout the shares, the available stock would sell and market prices would increase by 20% or more. It's finance 101.

example....

there are 10 million outstanding shares. a company with a stock value of $20 can buy it back for 200 million. If they announce with 10 million shares still outstanding those shares will sell instantly leading to a price increase to.. random number $30. In a buyout you will see the shares sell at around $50 so that would cost the company an extra 300 million in buyout costs. These are just random numbers to give an example why he would deny all rumors. These are not accurate numbers at all.

oldbob said:
Yo Bob
Hey, even if the guy loses 90% of his current wealth, he'll still have a billion bucks. Why would he care!
And, I have to say, my house is wired with fiber. But, my cable co is CHARTER - who is in the running for last place in customer satisfaction. Fiber by itself isn't everything. My fiber video stunk. I didn't have a single really good channel. Let me tell you my current movie channels are way better (and there are more of them) than the same channels from CHARTER. Now, I admit, this may not be true for other cable companies. But, CHARTER is the one I'm stuck with. It's easy to bash D* or E* for customer support, but once you've had CHARTER you'll be ecstatic with either of the satellite companies.

true, very true. CHARTER is an idiot, and I feel for you to be stuck with such a low-light cable company.

My parents were stuck with charter for years, and charter still to this day uses cable lines in my home town that were put in OVER 25 years ago!!!!!!!! a new company came in a few years ago offering twice,three times the channels for the same price. They've liked them ever since. it would take something huge to get them to go to satellite now, something I could not say just 3 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)