Sharing a Dish via Slingbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
Many may not have an environment or resources to install a big C-band dish. But they may be curious to find out first-hand with their own eyes what's available on C-band. Has anybody got a Slingbox connected to a receiver and C-band dish with a high-speed Internet connection who would be willing to share it once in a while when they are not using it?

In my case, I have a Slingbox connected to my Openbox S9 connected to a motorized dish and a fixed 1-metre Ku-band dish. Anybody that installs the Slingbox client software on their PC could remotely access my S9 via Internet. Only one can access the Slingbox at any time. All I have to do is give you the password for access. I can change this password and block you if, for some reason, you misbehaved. This might be useful to those considering getting a Ku-band system and who want to see what's available and maybe just to get the feel of Ku FTA.

Any offers / takers?

My systems are typically too busy with testing and recording for Timeshift viewing to share with the public. I have often allowed others to test drive like this.

One bit of advice. Lock the menus if you are going to share. Too many options that could disable a system, by mistake or intentionally. Nothing like having to reprogramming dozens of satellites and reprogramming!

I like the concept as I have been debating for quite some time as to whether I should go through the trouble of adding a c band dish, not knowing what if anything it will give me that I don't already get. I have been up on ku for years now and it's more or less for the news feeds since I seldom watch a show or record something. So yes, it would be great to try out a c band setup for a day to see if it would be worth the effort.

You need to be careful about the possibility of giving away content that the provider doesn't want to have given away.

The Slingboxen are intended for personal use and widespread use otherwise may create issues for those who use them as intended.

Slingboxes have been around for years. Cleverly designed to only allow one person to stream at a time, they aren't going to be putting any broadcasters out of business.
That doesn't make the act any less a violation of the terms and conditions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)