Sharing a Joey with two TVs

PokerMunkee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Woodland Park, CO
My basement living room TV currently has a Joey. It only has a coax line back to my utility room. The guest bedroom currently has no Joey. It has a coax line and CAT5e back to my utility room.

Any way of putting the Joey in the utility room and splititng it so both TVs can use/see it?

I see there are HDMI over Coax, but over $200. Is there a cheaper solution? It would be a PITA to run a CAT5e cable to my living room TV. Is this the only way to do this? Run HDMI over CAT5 and use a 2 way HDMI splitter?

Just making sure I'm looking at all of my options.

I'm already paying $118 a month for my Hopper + 2x Joeys. Not sure if I want to add another Joey, but could always cancel my Protection Plan. Decisions...

My basement living room TV currently has a Joey. It only has a coax line back to my utility room. The guest bedroom currently has no Joey. It has a coax line and CAT5e back to my utility room.

Any way of putting the Joey in the utility room and splititng it so both TVs can use/see it?

I see there are HDMI over Coax, but over $200. Is there a cheaper solution? It would be a PITA to run a CAT5e cable to my living room TV. Is this the only way to do this? Run HDMI over CAT5 and use a 2 way HDMI splitter?

Just making sure I'm looking at all of my options.

I'm already paying $118 a month for my Hopper + 2x Joeys. Not sure if I want to add another Joey, but could always cancel my Protection Plan. Decisions...

Get yourself an RF Modulator. You just use the rca outputs on the back of the Joey into the RF Modulator and then you can have coax out of it split to the two rooms. The biggest issue with this setup is that you will not have HD picture quality and you run the risk of having a snowy picture.

You could use an HDMI splitter but you would need some long HDMI cables and they are hard to run to other locations.

Got it working with an old RF modulator. Looks decent, good enough for the MIL! Can't get an old 21.0 UHF/IR remote to work with the Joey. Any tricks? Would like both my 40.0 and the 21.0 to work at same time.

Got it working with an old RF modulator. Looks decent, good enough for the MIL! Can't get an old 21.0 UHF/IR remote to work with the Joey. Any tricks? Would like both my 40.0 and the 21.0 to work at same time.
The 21.0 will only work in IR mode, go to menu->settings->remote manager->IR and enable.

Thanks. I tried that, toggled switch next to batteries with no luck. IR won't work since Joey is inutility room. I'm getting upgraded to new Hopper with Sling, hopefully get to keep old remote.

Thanks. I tried that, toggled switch next to batteries with no luck. IR won't work since Joey is inutility room. I'm getting upgraded to new Hopper with Sling, hopefully get to keep old remote.
Remote needs to be set to address 1. Should work, if not something isn't set right. I use at least 21.0 IR remote with each of my units.

The 40 remotes are so cheap, why not get another one. I have a 3 way split on one Joey. HDMI over Cat5 to one, coax to another and HDMI over catto the third. Joey is in a room that gets the UHF remote signal from all three places. One ins my office, another kitchen and tird is our spa. Since we are never watching in two places at once, this works.

If you want HD to each TV then yes, one of those would work. I have one at home in my setup, they are expensive though.

I found one on WOOT and it was not all that expensive. Not sure what they go for regularly but it is a great way to have independent control of a singe DVR in two rooms. Of course it would not work too well if there were people in each room at the same time.

I found one on WOOT and it was not all that expensive. Not sure what they go for regularly but it is a great way to have independent control of a singe DVR in two rooms. Of course it would not work too well if there were people in each room at the same time.

The one I have was around $300 and it works great. I would worry about cheaper ones with their quality just because it's wireless and can have problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)