Sharing C-band dish between 4DTV and DVB-S

Status
Please reply by conversation.

transco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I saw a thread on this subject, but can't find it now. Someone was sharing his C-band dish between a 4DTV receiver and Pansat 3500. I seem to remember he told how he was switching dish control between the two receivers. Can someone give me more information on this?

Since I have a dsr-905 sidecar, It has c and ku pass through jacks on the back. I just connect small jumpers between my diseqc switch and the sidecar's output pass throughs.

It works great...Just turn off the sidecar and the dvb receiver has the dish.

Since I have a dsr-905 sidecar, It has c and ku pass through jacks on the back. I just connect small jumpers between my diseqc switch and the sidecar's output pass throughs.

It works great...Just turn off the sidecar and the dvb receiver has the dish.

Hey Truck,

Can you elaborate a little bit on your setup using the 905 and a DVB receiver please?

I am having a mental block with it.. :)

Maybe some pictures too. :D

Thanks!!!

huh...never thought of doing it that way. Right now I have KU slaved from the motorized and C slaved from the Coolsat 8000

huh...never thought of doing it that way. Right now I have KU slaved from the motorized and C slaved from the Coolsat 8000
I have been trying to figure a way for my setup in the showroom to maximize exposure to at least 3 different receivers using one dish, and was thinking of the DSR-920 I have because there is so little analog left, but now Truck has me re-thinking that idea.

If I could use one of my 905s and the pass-thru for DVB, and hook up a regular analog box using a DC block allowing the 905 to control polarity on those two. I know it acts kind of funky using it that way sometimes, but that is the way it was designed. It also allows the analog and 905 to share A/V output between them.

I have a little box that I built a long time ago that allows me to switch polarity control between the analog box and the Pansat. Using the GBox to move the dish with the Pansat controlling all that and an A/V switch to change between Analog/905 and the Pansat, I could conceivably have all three working together.

Hmmmm!!!!

I will have to think this through some more. :yikes:

Since the dsr-905 has four total F connectors on the back for lnb signals here is what id did.

My C-band cable from the dish comes into the "C-H" IN jack.
A jumper runs from the "C-H" OUT jack into port 1 of my diseqc switch.

My Ku band cable fromt eh dish comes into the "K-V" IN jack.
A jumper runs from the "K-V" OUT jack into port 4 of my diseqc switch

Just turn the sidecar off and the dvb receiver has full control of the lnbf switching of the dish.
Or if you have a corotor or some type of servo feedhorn, it will just pass the polarity the analog receiver is sending over the servo wires.

You can insert a power passing (both ports) HF splitter between the sidecar and diseqc swith to slave the analog box. Mine was this way for a long time. My analog box is not even connected to the lnb signals right now. It just moves the dish and keeps track of positions.

Or the analog box could be connected to the IF out of your dvb receiver. However the dvb receiver would control the polarity.

I like to have everything set up to where whichever receiver is ON controls polarity and the others are powered off. Simple this way.

Since the dsr-905 has four total F connectors on the back for lnb signals here is what id did.

My C-band cable from the dish comes into the "C-H" IN jack.
A jumper runs from the "C-H" OUT jack into port 1 of my diseqc switch.

My Ku band cable fromt eh dish comes into the "K-V" IN jack.
A jumper runs from the "K-V" OUT jack into port 4 of my diseqc switch

Just turn the sidecar off and the dvb receiver has full control of the lnbf switching of the dish.
Or if you have a corotor or some type of servo feedhorn, it will just pass the polarity the analog receiver is sending over the servo wires.

You can insert a power passing (both ports) HF splitter between the sidecar and diseqc swith to slave the analog box. Mine was this way for a long time. My analog box is not even connected to the lnb signals right now. It just moves the dish and keeps track of positions.

Or the analog box could be connected to the IF out of your dvb receiver. However the dvb receiver would control the polarity.

I like to have everything set up to where whichever receiver is ON controls polarity and the others are powered off. Simple this way.

Thanks Truckracer.

I like that idea, but I chose to just use the DSR-920 to make things simpler because there is so little analog left, the 920 will pick up what's out there.

I have the 920 controlling the power to the lnbs and it does it whether on or off (standby) mode. I have a 2 port Hi-Freq splitter with DC Block side to the DVB receiver with a polarity splitter to control polarity that I made almost 2 years ago out of a Radio Shack speaker switch. I also use an A/V switch to change the video from one to the other.

The DVB receiver controls motor movement, or I can use the GBox independently. I discovered with the DVB receiver off, I can move the dish somewhere for the 920, and when I turn the DVB box back on, the dish moves back where it was left. i thought that was pretty cool. :)

Doing it your way would make the video/power/polarity a lot simpler, but then I would still need the analog box to see what analog is available.

Anole asked me to take some pictures of the little polarity splitter I made a long time ago, so here it is. :)

polarity-splitter1.jpg polarity-splitter2.jpg polarity-splitter3.jpg

Thanks Truckracer.
Anole asked me to take some pictures of the little polarity splitter I made a long time ago, so here it is. :)
Are you tying the 920 and DVB grounds and switching the power and servo leads?

I really don't remember exactly how I did it, but I think you are correct. A shared ground.

I would have to get the switch on the bench and run the lines with the multi-meter again to be sure.
The part I'm having trouble understanding is why you went the way of a mechanical switch vs. putting a low pass driven relay on the DVB receiver's LNB line and switching automatically. When the DVB receiver is on it powers the line which pulls in the relay which switches Polarotor control to it. Turn the DVB receiver off, the relay drops out, switching Polarotor control to the 4DTV receiver. What am I missing here?

The part I'm having trouble understanding is why you went the way of a mechanical switch vs. putting a low pass driven relay on the DVB receiver's LNB line and switching automatically. When the DVB receiver is on it powers the line which pulls in the relay which switches Polarotor control to it. Turn the DVB receiver off, the relay drops out, switching Polarotor control to the 4DTV receiver. What am I missing here?
Because I didn't know how! :)

Because I didn't know how! :)
I have a couple things I'd like to try. Once I get one together, I'll take pictures and post them here.

In my case, the receivers are located close to the dish, but far from the TV. It isn't practical to run the BUD lines back to the viewing are, so everything must be done automatically, or by remote control. I have a single RG-6 line available between the receivers and TV and that's it. The receivers (920 and 3500) are controlled by RF remote. I'll use the 920 for jack control until the Gbox is available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)