Shaw 107 and 111 on 48" round dish, Alaska

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

arcticracer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Fairbanks, Ak.
Well yesterday I made my first attempt to get more than one LNB working on a single dish. All I have are round (non-elliptical) dishes, various sizes. I am in Central Alaska, the 48" is pointed at 107, so I left it there and fashioned a second bracket for another KU lnb and looked for a "hot spot" to see if I could find 111. I found it with the LNB's touching each other, and the 111 LNB slightly lower by 1/2 inch. I know this is the sort of setup Iceberg is using too. I'm going to go look for his pictures again.

I was wondering if folks have gotten better results by "detuning" the dish to about halfway between 107 and 111, and sort of centering the LNB's. I am going to experiment this weekend with a spectrum analyzer from work and see what I come up with. Some of the HD channels on 111 are pixellating and are marginal now. I think I can afford to lose signal on 107 if I pick more up on 111 and get everything at once.

I'll save ya the headache to search. Here are the pics :)

Attachments

• 100_0281.jpg
    100_0281.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_0282.jpg
    100_0282.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_0285.jpg
    100_0285.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_0288.jpg
    100_0288.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 228
But what me personally would do is aim at 111.1 and put 107 offset. You need more signal for HD than you do SD so I have 111.1 boresight and the 107 LNB offset

Shaw 107 and 111

Thanks Iceberg, that makes sense, I'll try aiming at 111. I have a huge signal on 107, around 89 on channel 299. I can afford to lose some. That should do the trick. Looking forward to getting the Olympic broadcasts from the host country, got things working just in time.

what receiver do you have? a 505?

I dont check signal...I check ebno which is options 6-4-7 line C...gives more "true" readings on how good the signal is.

Shaw Direct Tuning

Ebno would be good to tune, but since I have access to a Spectrum Analyzer I'll connect it right at the feed and fine tune the LNB's and dish. Can use C/N. Have to be careful and use a DC block, I use a splitter, then run one leg through the block and to the Specan through an F to N adapter.

Using ebno, and my wife with a radio would be the second choice. Or a long cable and TV outside.

New Andrew 1.2 Meter

No need now for dual LNB, I just picked up some more dishes. 1.2 Meter Andrew, 1.2 Meter steel dish, and 1.8 Meter Andersen True Focus. Two were free, the big one was $175.

I put the Andrew on Shaw 111, and my old 1.2 steel dish is on 107. Will have to update the "Dish Farm" pics this weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)