Shaw Direct Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
This is directed mainly to Iceberg. 7-8 years ago I had a subscription to Bell when I lived in Ohio. This was done through a company in Winnipeg that acted as a broker for US customers who wanted Canadan TV. I paid $100 one time for the service, then got a monthly bill for about 30 dollars Cdn for my package. Is this pretty much the same way you use a DSR 505 receiver for HD
programs, or are there fta channels available if you have the equipment?
Bought my receiver and dish in Windsor Ont. They are gone now. I have a C dish at 107.3 and a 76 cm ku and a fixed 2.8 m ku. Does Shaw use linear lnbs or what kind of DSS?

There are only a couple free channels on an previously subbed Starchoice (Shaw Direct) account.

Shopping Channel
Access
Knowledge Channel
CKUA
BC Legislature

Shaw Direct uses linear LNB's (just like free to air does). I have a 1.2m dish with 2 Sadoun duals on it for my subscription service
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/181978-ku-1-2m-dish-wow.html
Ice,
We in the States can buy satellite service from Canadian companies, such as Shaw Direct???
Mike Lib

sort of ;)

Shaw Direct & Bell TV are the Canadian satellite services. To subscribe you need a Canadian address or go through a program broker. We have a full section on the services
Canadian Satellite Services - SatelliteGuys.US

I mainly have it for hockey. Hockey night in Canada on CBC and hockey games on TSN & TSN2 make it worth it.

Ice,
We in the States can buy satellite service from Canadian companies, such as Shaw Direct???
Mike Lib

If that is the case for USA customers - ie. that they can buy Canadian Satelite Services, I wonder why Canadians cannot buy Direct TV or Dishnet in Canada? Our only Satellite Subscription services as far as I know are: Bell TV - which I have, OR Starchoice.

The CRTC says its illegal to subscribe to DirecTV or Dish
The FCC doesn't say anything about foreign broadcasting services.

Thats the big difference

Thats why Canadians cant subscribe to Sky Angel (or should I say couldn't subscribe when they were on satellite) and Globecast.

sort of ;)

Shaw Direct & Bell TV are the Canadian satellite services. To subscribe you need a Canadian address or go through a program broker. We have a full section on the services
Canadian Satellite Services - SatelliteGuys.US

I mainly have it for hockey. Hockey night in Canada on CBC and hockey games on TSN & TSN2 make it worth it.

Thanks Ice,
I got to tell my son-in-law about this, he is a huge hockey fan, roots for the Rangers. He now lives in Charlotte, NC and goes to the hockey games there all of the time. Man you are a fountain of knowledge.

yes Anole they did a name change

They are owned by Shaw which is a huge cable conglomerate in Western Canada....kinda weird to have a cable company own a satellite company ;). They also are part of CANCOM which is the scrambled channels on AnikF1 C-Band (the POwervu & MPEG1.5 stuff).

They renamed Starchoice Shaw Direct....guess they needed to spend some money on new stationary and that fancy new software update that changed the "StarChoice" logo on the guide to "ShawDirect" :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)