Shaw Direct Tv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

diannemburgess

Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Canada
I am Canadian and wintering in the US. We have a Shaw Direct Satellite Dish on a tripod. I am having a heck of a time finding out how to get a signal. There are so many things I have tried and still can not make it work. For one I dont know what the satellite I should be looking for on DishPointer and also what the locations are and mean and the signal strength settings etc. Is there anywhere on the net I can get step by step instructions.
Thanks
Dianne

welcome :wave
I moved this top the Canadian area as that area deals with Bell and Shaw

If you have the newer satellite dish (with the LNB that has 4 outputs on it) you want to be looking at 111.1
On dishpionter it says "Starchoice 107W & 111W"

What receiver do you have (which model number)?

Here's my method to setup a Shaw Direct Dish with a Quad LNB on a single elyptical dish => Like I think you have. Unless already functioning, I don't think you can use channel 299 for tuning with the new Xku - Triple - Lnb on the 600 Receivers. (At the moment I forget what channel is used :confused: - need another cup of coffee...)

It's really just like paint by numbers.

Setting up /Tuning a Dish should take less than an hour if you've got good gear, a clear line of sight to the Birds, and:

1 :Got reasonable access to the Dish for adjusting / tighening
2: You've got a reciever and TV close by for tuning - with power
3: Your mast is vertical in both planes (plumb) and solidly mounted

Go to Dishpointer and get your settings for your location:
Elevation:
Azimuth (true): Don't bother with this
Azimuth (magn.):
LNB Skew [They use arrows for CW & CCW]:

Then set your Elevation to whatever Dishpointer advised and Skew @ 90° (to start).(Tighten them down.) Mount the Dish onto the mast but don't clamp it too tight. (You want to be able to easily rotate it on the mast.) Connect your cables & turn on the TV and set the Reciever to 299. Take a compass reading and aim the dish 20° east of what you think is the right direction. Turn the Reciever onto channel 299 and put it onto the signal strength meter in Options.

Then pan westward in 2° increments stopping for 15 seconds between adjustments to let the Reciever advise if you are seeing the Bird. If you get 20 degrees past where you thought the Bird was then adjust the elevation up 1° and pan eastward using the same methodolgy above. If you get 20 degrees past where you thought the Bird was then adjust the elevation down 2 degrees, and pan westward using the same methodolgy above.

If you've got good gear (cables, connectors, LNB, Dish, TV and the Reciever) and you've followed the above (paying particular attention to the mast and skew at 90° initially) you cannot fail to find F1R. Once F1R is found then try to find the sweet spot be moving 1/2° increments in one direction until the signal strength no longer is gaining but is starting to drop off. Then go the other way until you find the maximum signal obtainable with the present elevation and skew @ 90°. Then lock the dish down for Azimuth.

Then Tune the Receiver to Channel 700 (which is on F2) and I'll bet you'll have a decent signal. If not, now you can adjust the Skew to max out the signal. Again do it in 1° increments allowing 15 seconds between adjustments to let the Reciever advise if you are seeing the Bird, and what signal strength it's giving you. Once F2 is found then try to find the sweet spot be moving 1/2° increments in one direction until the signal strength no longer is gaining but is starting to drop off. Then go the other way until you find the maximum signal obtainable.

Now you switch back to channel 299 and see what impact your Skew adjustments did. The rest is just fine tuning and compromises so both Birds are strong.

Once you've got both Birds strong you can try to find out which transponders are poorest for you and use those to tweak your dish. By then you'll be into Ecb/no values for tuning :rolleyes: or just drink Beer and watch the Game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)