Shaw Question: 1 Dish or 2?

mecdatlanta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Greetings CDN Satellite TV Experts:

I am about to have a 630 shipped to a family's residence in Canada, where I will pick it up and bring it to Atlanta. Mike Kohl, who has been most helpful, has recommended an 85 elliptical (which I will order from him). What I am not clear on is whether I need two dishes or if one will suffice.

I am mainly interested in French programming, and Mike seems to think that one dish pointing to F2-111W should be all that I need. It seems to me, after looking on this page: List of Shaw Direct channels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (scroll down for links to the programming pages for the two Shaw satellites), that Télétoon (channel 563) is on F1R. Does that mean that I would need a separate dish just to get that one channel? Also, with my receiver about to be registered in Ontario, I apparently have access to TFO (another French language channel for kids). I can't find that channel on either satellites. I called Shaw but the lady seemed to think that I was talking a foreign language when I asked about me needing one dish or two.

Finally, Shaw has a deal on their 630s for $199 until the end of the month. I want to order one, but I am not sure what the installer is going to say when I tell him to just leave the hardware and I will take care of it. I assume that he will be happy with that, but I am not sure if he can insist that he install it or leave with the hardware. Any insight on their policy would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

In MOST cases the French stations are on F2

TFO I know is on F2 but I cant find it on the charts I have

Loking at F1 these are the only French stations on F1 right now
730 RDI
771 Teletoon French

Since you mentioned French programming I assume you meant Teletoon French and not the English version ;)

Here are some charts. Mike Kohl has a good list. Here is the French essentials with what is required for 107.3
http://www.global-cm.net/SHAW DIRECT F ESSENTIALS Pkg.pdf

also here are the charts directly from Shaw (the transponder maps...)

Attachments

• 2012_05_08_F2_Channel_Chart_e.xls
    71.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 2012_05_08_F1R_Channel_Chart_e.xls
    127 KB · Views: 213
although you are mainly interested in French programming, I would suggest installing two separate dishes. you need to tune to channel 299 (classic) to activate. plus this way you would get all the channels you are subscribed to, AND in the future if new french channels are at 107

At this point, all installations should definitely be for reception from both locations.

If the present experiment at F1R tr is successful (MPEG4 with a 45MB MUX) and Drake can figure out how to pull a 38 MUX out for cable companies 256 QAM, then all F1R/F2 HD transponders will eventually move to this. No one knows now which channels will be on which satellite then.

Two Dishes It Is!

At this point, all installations should definitely be for reception from both locations.

If the present experiment at F1R tr is successful (MPEG4 with a 45MB MUX) and Drake can figure out how to pull a 38 MUX out for cable companies 256 QAM, then all F1R/F2 HD transponders will eventually move to this. No one knows now which channels will be on which satellite then.

Thanks guys! I'll order the two dishes then. Does anyone know whether the installer in Ontario will give me my receiver if I refuse to let him install it? Will I make him angry or make his day?

Also, is the standard dish that comes with the installation worth anything to me in Atlanta (given its smaller size)? Should I tell him to keep it, or can I actually put it to good use.

1. take all the stuff. you will make his day

2. not optimistic that standard dish/LNB will work in atl, BUT you can sell it to someone in northern US who can use it.

1. take all the stuff. you will make his day

2. not optimistic that standard dish/LNB will work in atl, BUT you can sell it to someone in northern US who can use it.

Noted! I guess I can always turn it into a bird bath, if nothing else. ;-) Thanks for your insight Frenchophile (and others).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)