ShawDirect LNB, switch "light bulb" question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftageekyyc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
No, it's not the start of a "How many does it take to change a..." joke, but it is kind of a "how many" question.

I'm trying to see if the light bulb is going off over my head regarding switching.

What are my options if I want to combine two separate ShawDirect elliptical dishes using their dual satellite quad output LNBs to connect 1 or 2 receivers?

I interpret the abilities of the ShawDirect LNB to mean that it essentially acts as 2 individual dual output 22 kHz switched LNBs into a 4x4 switch, all in one package.

For a single receiver, can I just take a single cable run from each dish into a 2x1 Diseqc, then a single cable run from the switch to the receiver?

For two receivers, I would need to take two cable runs from each dish into 2 4x1 Diseqc's, then a run out to each receiver?

If you are using the older quad LNB (the 4 output one) you can use a 2x1 diseqc switch to combine the 4 LNB's together. Each quad LNB can see 2 sats 4 degrees apart (well 3.8) ;)
If you only aim at one satellite thats fine you can still use the 2x1 switch (or a 4x1 if you wish but a 2x1 will do fine)

You would use a switch for each receiver. You cant use a 22k switch as there is one already built in to the LNB (to switch between 107.3 & 111.1 normally)

Excellent.

What I was thinking was pointing 1 dish at a pair of 4 degree sats, and the 2nd dish at another pair.

If it ever quits snowing and warms up a bit in sunny southern Alberta I'll give it a try.

Excellent.

What I was thinking was pointing 1 dish at a pair of 4 degree sats, and the 2nd dish at another pair.
the only issue sometimes is the minor difference in the spacing (between 3.8 on the LNB and 4 in the sky...sometimes a smidge more) so you may have to compromise signals. What size dish is it? The 60e or 75e?

If it ever quits snowing and warms up a bit in sunny southern Alberta I'll give it a try.
heh I'm in Minneapolis and we just got 8+ inches last night...2 more tonight. UGH!

oh forgot to comment on one point you made earlier

I interpret the abilities of the ShawDirect LNB to mean that it essentially acts as 2 individual dual output 22 kHz switched LNBs into a 4x4 switch, all in one package.
that is correct. In essence there is a 4x4 switch built in

the only issue sometimes is the minor difference in the spacing (between 3.8 on the LNB and 4 in the sky...sometimes a smidge more) so you may have to compromise signals.
What size dish is it? The 60e or 75e?
I don't know much about Shaw dishes... Too far from the border. :)
However, I believe the LNB assembly is different between those two dishes, to maintain the same optimum satellite spacing.
Just something to be aware of, in case you have mix 'n match hardware, or try to use a different dish.

edit: because the dish focal lengths are different, the LNB spacing had to be changed to accommodate.

Last edited:
I have a 60e and a 75e, both with the appropriate LNBs, left over from when I had a ShawDirect sub.

I thought I would try the 60e on whatever satbeams says needs the smallest dish for my location first, see how that goes then try for another pair.

Unfortunately it's a roof project - 30 foot spruce trees in the back yard and the spot I had the 60cm dish mounted on won't quite squeeze past the trees to hit 97/101.

From the roof I should be able to sweep from 72 up into the 90's no problem.

Doesn't the 60e use a different mast size than the 75e? (I had a 75e here in Minneapolis and the mast seemed to be huge). I'm just thinking if you get the mast all mounted and it doesnt work then you have to start over with the 75e

I've got the correct mounts and masts for each dish as well. I've also got a CommDeck up right near the peak of the roof. Would probably end up installing the 60e on that, then the 75e wall mounted just under the eaves.

The ShawDirect combo dish install would be temporary as we are hoping to be moved to the other location full time by summer/fall. Would probably just end up leaving the 60e when I move.

Since ShawDirect is really getting beaten up in the market right now used 60e ellipticals with the old LNB are pretty much free. Anyone staying with them and hoping for new channels after the G1 sat launches on Monday have probably already switched over to the xKu.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)