Shockey to Saints?

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Shockey to Saints

According to Fox Sports, Jay Glazer.....

Sources: Giants to trade Shockey to Saints

Jeremy Shockey has finally gotten his wish.

The Giants have agreed to trade their disgruntled tight end to the New Orleans Saints for a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal is pending league approval, according to a league source. Shockey must also pass a physical.

The compensation is the same the Saints offered New York back in April prior and during to the draft ... and it was turned down.

Last edited:
I think the Saints are CLEARLY going to bounce back.

Atlanta stinks, Tampa is schizophrenic, and Carolina can be a confusing team.

I think New Orleans has a good chance to return to their 2006 form.

Good luck with Shockey, he causes more trouble than he's worth. It was no coincidence Eli Manning started playing well when Shockey wasn't around to annoy and unnerve him anymore.

Shockey is a ME player who with his attitude will never win a championship.

Sandra

I like shockey on the Saints. Saints have a nice fantasy line-up going on. Brees has another big target like Colston and under Peyton, shockey had one of his best years.

Sure Shockey can be a distraction, but honestly so can more that 60% of the league's players. I bet he returns to that form this year and is thus happier and less of a problem.

Sandra, you're a Jets fan. IIRC, didn't you have to deal with a similiar 'me player attitude' player in Keyshawn Johnson?

Yes, Keyshawn was a jerk, too, but more toward the coaches than players. Shockey went right after Eli because he was so young.

The best thing about the Giants winning was they did it without Shockey, and now he had to ask for a trade because nobody would have wanted to hear one word out of him next year.

Now he can go to the Saints and mouth off all he wants. Good luck, New Orleans.

Sandra

Payton would not bring someone in if he thought it would be a major problem. He got rid of a lot of "ME" and "MOUTH" players upon his arrival. So I am OK with the move.

Before this, the Saints had a trio of oft injured, but excellent blocking TE's last season. But no big play TE's. I think Shockey adds that. And if he gets hurt or banished for his mouth, we still have what we had last year minus the draft picks.
I am willing as a fan to live with that gamble.

I also compare this to Randy Moss of a year ago. Sometimes a change of scenery does a player some good. Hopefully the scenery doesn't include all nighters in the French Quarter (It's not plural, Jimbo. LOL)

It may not work out. We will have to see, but as a loyal and dedicated Saints fan, I have faith in the team that they made the right move. The Saints have never been known to be to aggressive in the offseason, but that changed 3 years ago with Drew Brees and has continued. Not all of the moves have been great, i.e. Jason David, but I like the activeness that the team has taken in trying to get better.

OK I am done.

Payton was Shockey's Offensive Coordinator in NY in 2002. I'm sure he knows what he's getting into and feels confident he can keep him in check.

As for Shockey "unnerving" and making Eli nervous, all I can say is that a QB is supposed to be the leader on offense. He shouldn't be rattled by one of his teammates spouting off. Instead, the QB should be able to posses the ability to command the huddle. With that said, maybe NO is a better fit for Shockey. I can't see Brees putting up with his crap while under center.

Be careful what you wish for Giants fans....

From FootballGuys.com....
The Jeremy Shockey Factor. Is it possible that trading away a 4-time Pro Bowler can be a positive development? The argument for moving Shockey is that New York won a Super Bowl without him and, in his absence, Eli Manning was more productive. The drama that surrounds Shockey is distracting and divisive; and GM Jerry Reese and HC Tom Coughlin have the goodwill to shed themselves of the headache. The argument against trading Shockey is that he’s not easily replaced. In spite of his personality quirks, Shockey has been a MAJOR portion of Eli Manning’s success. Over the last three seasons, Shockey has accounted for:

• 20.2% of the team’s receptions (188)
  • 20.6% of the team’s receiving yards (2,133)
  • 23.9% of the team’s receiving TDs (17)
No disrespect to Kevin Boss, but he’s not going to replicate that kind of productivity. The Giants are going to have to reshape their offense if the Shockey trade happens; and that’s unlikely to lead to better passing numbers over a full 16-game season.

Yeah, but instead of getting 5 yard passes, because he would complain about not getting the ball, they get 10 yards or more per pass and do better with the other receivers.

Let a huge Giants fan speak: first and foremost, is he a good player? . . . yes; secondly, is he a team player . . no! He complained every passing play when the ball was not thrown his way and here is the major gripe . . . he never stayed in to block on running plays . . . he told the coaching staff and the Giants that he did not want a short career because of blocking . . . good riddance to him!

Let a huge Giants fan speak: first and foremost, is he a good player? . . . yes; secondly, is he a team player . . no! He complained every passing play when the ball was not thrown his way and here is the major gripe . . . he never stayed in to block on running plays . . . he told the coaching staff and the Giants that he did not want a short career because of blocking . . . good riddance to him!

Word of advice:

Don't count on Kevin Boss turning into the second coming of Winslow (either one), Gates or Gonzalez.

Oh I am not . . . listen, "we" already pulled off one of the greatest sports upsets in history . . . I am good! But ironically, like the Patriots, we are becoming a team and if you look at the Giants playoff run, that was truly the maturation of a team! Shockey would not have bought in and supported that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)