Shoot me strait.....whats my chances??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

McVey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I need a hr24 in the worst way but dont have $200 to shell out for one. I have 2 hr20's that directv said they would swap out for free for a 3d compatible hddvr. They said they have no clue if I will get a hr24's on my doorstep. Im worried if I do the swap im gonna get a hr22 or hr23 which are complete dinosaurs have no ota and are slower then my hr20's. Should I do the swap and hope for the best or would I have a better chance waiting a couple months then doing the swap.

Not sure the beef is with an HR22 and mine runs perfectly fine and speedy with no hiccups; and its as fast as my HR20. As far as built-in OTA; I thought I would miss it, but after a few weeks the antenna into the TV's ATSC tuner is A-OK as I really only need it on the very rare occasions a really bad storm knocks my SAT out. But I usually have the weather radio on and in the safe place anyway. I say swap and get what you get; I doubt you will really notice much as I as assume most of your thoughts may be based on things you have heard?

Not sure the beef is with an HR22 and mine runs perfectly fine and speedy with no hiccups; and its as fast as my HR20. As far as built-in OTA; I thought I would miss it, but after a few weeks the antenna into the TV's ATSC tuner is A-OK as I really only need it on the very rare occasions a really bad storm knocks my SAT out. But I usually have the weather radio on and in the safe place anyway. I say swap and get what you get; I doubt you will really notice much as I as assume most of your thoughts may be based on things you have heard?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFrUJYzwhXs]YouTube - DIRECTV HR24-500 speed demonstration[/ame]

I get your point but, I also have an HR22 and it's fine. Much better than the 21 that it replaced when the HD died.

Having said that It's like comparing my Mercury Grand Marquis against a Lincoln Town Car. Would I like a Town Car? Sure but, right now I can't afford it.

I'm happy with my car. In the future I'll be able to upgrade it when I can afford it.

I do not know about the 22, but my 23 is 50% slower than my 20 (at least). It may be my box, but from what I have read it is fairly common.

The 24, from reviews on here with people that have had both, is much faster than anything D* has put out, and is even on par with the VIPs as far as speed.

HR22 is a good HDDVR, but "speedy" is just plain wrong. Be a little more factual fella's. I dont like skewing the truth either way.

I need a hr24 in the worst way but dont have $200 to shell out for one. I have 2 hr20's that directv said they would swap out for free for a 3d compatible hddvr. They said they have no clue if I will get a hr24's on my doorstep. Im worried if I do the swap im gonna get a hr22 or hr23 which are complete dinosaurs have no ota and are slower then my hr20's. Should I do the swap and hope for the best or would I have a better chance waiting a couple months then doing the swap.

Your best bet is to save, and when you are ready, buy from Solid Signal or Overstock.com, and ensure you get the HR24. You'll need the AM21 though for OTA, and realize that right now, the HR24 SW has a bug that makes OTA recordings unreliable. OTA live works fine.

What you have on the box really affects the speed, so while a 20/21/22/23 might be great for someone with 5 series links recording a dozen times a week and 90% free disk space and no MRV, it might be less spiffy for someone with 50 series links, 3 of which are autorecords, recording dozens of shows, using mrv, etc.

Some people are also less bothered by variable response time, which drives me nuts.

That youtube demo of the HR24 vs the older box is pretty amazing.

My HR22 in the bedroom has no AM21 and has about 10 series links. When I go in there to move around, I wanna break the remote, compared to the HR24.

Yeah, I have to yell at the tv "Hey, I'm pushing a button here!". My five year old picked up that habit, which is kinda cute.

The last time I saw remote lag like this was on my first philips directv receiver around 1995. The sony b2's I got next were a lot quicker but still a little inconsistent. Everything since then has had a pretty snappy menu/guide.

Bottom line the hr21 hr22 and hr23 are slooooooow no matter how any of you guys want to spin it. I pay $150 a month on tv and shouldn't be stuck with any of these. I just called dtv and there swapping my hr20's for a newer model for free cause there not 3d compatible. We will see what they send me. I really hope there hr24s. We will see....Ill let u guys know what I get.

So i got 2 hr22s on my doorstep today im so pissed. This is a joke. Im calling and either getting hr24's or im sadly leaving Direct. I cant even input a ch number without it lagging and missing a ch number.

So i got 2 hr22s on my doorstep today im so pissed. This is a joke. Im calling and either getting hr24's or im sadly leaving Direct. I cant even input a ch number without it lagging and missing a ch number.

Your screwed......sorry dude. DirecTV can't guarantee what is sent to you. Have you tried talking with a local installer and see what they are installing? My installer told me they are only installing HR24s on MRV and new HD installs. Maybe you can send them back and ask for installation on your next order. Have them put HR24 in the notes. If they show up without them, refuse it.

What are the different HR24 models. If seen HR24-100 and HR24-500, are there others and what are the differences?

The basic difference is who makes them. The -xxx is the code used to determine who the manufacture of the device is. There might be very small differences but normally nothing to worry about.

As an in-house HSP tech, I can assure you I would not be swapping in an Hx-24 for anything other than another Hx-24 during a service call. We received a matrix and policy guidance today that states exactly that. Due to the shortage of Hx-24's, they are being reserved for new installs/MRV upgrades only.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)