Shopping for Basic Phone and Prepaid Plan (Voice and Moderate Texting)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
While my wife and son have embraced the Smartphone world, I have not nor do I anticipate doing so. I "fat finger" the keys on those touch screens and I'm simply happier with my "old man's" flip phone - I'm 45 years old. I am finding that flip phones seem to be getting harder to find. I can even text pretty swiftly using the T9 text entry method. I am looking for something in the vicinity of 120 - 200 minutes per month, and cheap or free texting. Plus, I want keep it at or under $20/monthly. I am primarily looking for feedback from any of you who have used or are currently using plans from the providers I'm considering: PureTalkUSA, Affinity Cellular(for AAA members), Net10, and Tracfone. I really like Net10 and Tracfone, however the way they calculate text charges is confusing. To add further confusion, the text charge differs whether using Pay As You Go or a Monthly Value Plan. So, any feedback would be great - and if there's a provider I've listed, give me your thoughts on them, too. Thanks so much!

Eric

It's been 10+ years since we had a pre-paid wireless service, but I've casually looked at them recently a time or two and a couple things STILL seem to apply.... 1) Check the coverage areas they offer. Most piggy-back on the larger carrier's networks so if you know who has good coverage in your area, i.e. VZW, ATT, T-Mo, etc, look for a pre-paid company that uses the same. 2) Text messages still seem to be charged per text, both sent and rec'd ! Well, at least on the lower-end plans. Many do offer plans that include "unlimited", but definitely not in the price range you mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts