short end of the stick

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

learnwhatican

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 28, 2006
This thread is to stick up for all the technician's. I've heard many complaints from customer's about their install, about their service call, and what they deem unfair. And yes, you're right. If something wasn't doesn't right, you have the right to be upset.
But to take up for the installer's and technician's, the reason they gave you a raw deal is probably because of what they have to work with. Most of them haven't been given the training they need to do the job you want. Often times they don't have the equipment or tools they need. They also are paid unfairly, and have to go through too much to get the money they earned in the first place. There are numerous labor laws being broken, and these installer's are told to take it or leave it.

If an installer is trying hard to get out of doing your install, it is probably because he has been at it too many day's, and has seen too many houses to really care anymore about your install.

In one case, an group of installer's 2 weeks worth of work were upaid, because a secretary at the company they worked for left and took every document with her name on it with her. This included all the technician's paperwork for pay. When they approached the owner of the company, and he said the best he could do was give them $50 to get by on.

Another company tells their installers that if they go to the Department of Labor, they will be fired.

In my case, the previous company I worked for fired me for some post on this website awhile back about the unfair practices at my company. They said I was let go for not grounding 3 of my jobs. Which was true, I did not ground all jobs. But in my defense, I was never trained on how to ground, and I told several supervisor's that I didn't know how to. I took it upon myself to study the code and figure out the right way to do the job. The best they could give me was "tough luck", we'll give you a good recommendation. It was later I found out I was really let go for my comments about the company, and no jobs had been found unground.

I thought someone should stand up and give a shout out for the overworked, unpaid technician's in this country who bring satellite service to customer's everyday.

Their are some plain lazy installer's who are just worthless regardless of their conditions, but from my experience, most of them care about doing a good job and do what they can.

Well, cluess ones like the one yesterday, are the ones that ruin the reputation. That was the one E* send me to solve the permanent reboots and freezes on my 622. Checking my wiring first and then checking the signal levels, and complaining that a 69% signal on TP17 on 129 is the culprit. Then messing with the dish and getting the signal down to 57% on 129, but the 119 up to 115%, and then saying that should solve the HD channels freezes and lockups and reboots is just OUSTANDING! I've told him, that he's not gonna leave it like that! I was very polite until then, but I got the feeling that he thought that I don't know Jack sh*t! Well, I told him that when the first rain drop falls, the picture would be gone like that. So in an almost inaudible voice he said, he would go back up there and try to get a little more out of it. After he was done, the signal are kinda like they were before, with a little more on 119 and 110, but about the same on 129. So this is gonna resolve the reboots and freezes and such now, right? So I guess he was trying to pull my leg, or what? GIMME A BREAK!

I would suggest a new lnb, receiver, or switch. Does your 34 switch say microroyal on it? Is your switch rectangular or square shape? is the problem new, or since install?

Sorry you had such problems with your system and your service today.

Last edited:
learnwhatican said:
I would suggest a new lnb, receiver, or switch. Does your 34 switch say microroyal on it? Is your switch rectangular or square shape? is the problem new, or since install?

Sorry you had such problems with your system and your service today.
I don't have a switch. They won't exchange my 622. They said it is the wiring, and had the tech check it. They said that this is all they can do for me. I called twice with different reps, same result. As soon as the contract is up, I'll reactivate my voom and go OTA only!

I would try the ceo email for help. My 622 has been working perfectly for a month now. I am using two dishes though because I had all the stuff laying around. I get 88 to 89 on 129.I cant verifiy how the programming looks as I am not subscribing to the HD package right now. Just using it for the Tulsa OTA locals and regular dish programming. It does sound like your receiver is bad though.

osu1991 said:
I would try the ceo email for help. My 622 has been working perfectly for a month now. I am using two dishes though because I had all the stuff laying around. I get 88 to 89 on 129.I cant verifiy how the programming looks as I am not subscribing to the HD package right now. Just using it for the Tulsa OTA locals and regular dish programming. It does sound like your receiver is bad though.
What TP's you getting those signals on?

Ralfyguy your issue is with the settings on the dish most likely, I would think that adjusting the skew angle 5 degrea's one way or the other may boost your 129 signal some.

LearnwhatIcan, what can I say except that in most points your right but your missing a thing or two and that is that in one place techs may get paid crap while in another they get paid good, the same goes for training. There are specifics that I wish I could go into that play into the current way things are being done but I cant as it would jeaoprodize something really important, there is more than what you see that is going on.

I 'll have to check when I get home next week. Taking a long holiday at Ft. Gibson. I don't have 129 set up at the lake house. Unless locals are moved to 129 you could use a second dish for 61.5. I fooled around with one a year or so ago at my mom's ranch in ADA just to see if the other locals were mirrored there in addition to 148,( no LOS to 148 there),and was getting high signal strength from it. I don't remember exactly what my signal strength was,90 to 100 I think, but it is pretty easy to get here and probably stronger than 129.

osu1991 said:
I 'll have to check when I get home next week. Taking a long holiday at Ft. Gibson. I don't have 129 set up at the lake house. Unless locals are moved to 129 you could use a second dish for 61.5. I fooled around with one a year or so ago at my mom's ranch in ADA just to see if the other locals were mirrored there in addition to 148,( no LOS to 148 there),and was getting high signal strength from it. I don't remember exactly what my signal strength was,90 to 100 I think, but it is pretty easy to get here and probably stronger than 129.
That would be a problem here. No LOS to 148 or 61.5 because of huge trees in neighbor's yards. I can barely slice thru for 110/119/129.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)