Should FTC / FCC get involved? Should a lawsuit be considered?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You guys can compare all you like, many of us had a reasonable expectation to not be left out in the cold when we signed up with out 921s and 942s.

faster68 said:
You guys can compare all you like, many of us had a reasonable expectation to not be left out in the cold when we signed up with out 921s and 942s.
As I see it, you haven't been left out in the cold. The unit you have still does exactly the same thing it did when you bought it. If you want it to do more, take them up on their upgrade offer.

Time for yet another car comparison... Let's assume I have an '06 Mustang GT and then Ford starts selling the new '07 Shelby GT-500. What do you think my chances would be of getting them to give me the new car for free? After all, my current car is less than a year old and they didn't tell me that they were releasing the new Shelby when I bought it. I want the new, more powerful engine. I want the better suspension. I want the better looking body styling. The only way I'll get it is to buy another car.

FWIW, that's my 2 cents...

Mario

Well it looks as though the sides are divided on this issue without much swaying. As I see it the fact is that the 941/942 still work as they did the day they were purchased. Having said that, most people would NOT have paid that much money for them if they knew a year later there would be HD programming they could not get. I think most people would agree with that. Most would not buy an HD TV that couldn't display some HD content 1 year later. So the issue is how E* handled it. They could have informed customers when they purchased the 941/952, but that’s not realistic. They could have on Feb 1st showed all HD content in mpeg 2 for the next 6 months or year. That is reasonable, right? I think Faster would not have started this post and still be happy with his 942 if E* had done that. Anyone have a valid reason for the forced mpeg4 on Feb 1st?

And if they showed the new HD content in mpeg 2 for 6 months and then took it away -- think about all the complaining that would take place. Face it, E* has to convert everyone to mpeg 4 eventually, but they certainly can't do it all at once. As it is, it's going to be a slow process just getting enough receivers for HD customers. They had to offer some new channels as an incentive for customers to change receivers, but they didn't want to take anything away from current customers. They waited to offer the biggest incentives for current customers until April 1st so everyone woulnd't demand new receivers immediately. They'd never meet demand and everyone would be ticked off. But for those who HAD to have the latest and greatest and most, they made it available at a higher initial cost. No matter what they did, someone wouldn't be happy.

faster68 said:
Government is in place to help and protect the public.
ROFLOL!!!!!!

In case you hadn't noticed, the political party currently in control of all branches of gov't isn't exactly known for favoring activist consumer protection.

To the contrary, it believes in gov't as small as possible, that does as liitle as possible. Read the party platform.

In summary, don't expect the FCC to do anything.

It wont fly as it stands because technology changes daily and what is new and modern today will be obsolete in 6 months. If there was any warrant to this idea then that would open up the flood gates for lawsuits against every computer, cell phone, television, automobile, and radio manufacturer every time a new product is made available wich in the computer and cell phone markets is every other week.

I’m discussed. Thanks to all you non 921/942 owners tell us how we should react. Everything is much better now.

Exactly why I lease with Dish. I am stuck with bought DirecTV products that are no good and could not even get locals. Lease means I am not stuck. I know, for the HD lease options, extending a contract is involved, but at DirecTV I could not even buy without tacking on another year. And use a new programming.. another year. Had enough of that crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts