Should I be able to get SBS 6 (74w)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi all,
If any of you remember, I nearly killed my dish trying to get it East of W3. (With my 18" actuator and a "standard" winegard 10' mesh dish)

But I'm seeing lots of feeds showing up on SBS6 and at 74W it seems wayyyyyy east of W3 :(

Should a guy in Michigan with the above setup be able to squeeze 74W in?

I'm not even convinced a 24" arm would help, because my 18" took the dish over it's "apex" and then retracting brought it down FURTHER EAST.....ouch.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jerry

JerryK said:
I'm not even convinced a 24" arm would help, because my 18" took the dish over it's "apex" and then retracting brought it down FURTHER EAST.....ouch.

A 24" arm should be stronger and will have a longer reach before the dish will flop.

Ok, thanks guys. I think I need to have my wife slew it east until the "flop" occurs(while I stand by the dish) so I can see my true limits.

If the 18 won't get as far as I want (and I can't engineer any sort of bungee-cord-anti-flop device) I'll go with the 24".

You will just need to go as far east as you can, if the arm is close to hitting the mount then your dish may not be able to move more, though I really am sure that with a 24" arm you will have the ability to move past P9.

When I first got ole BUD I could not get the satellite that was on the far east, Satcom 4. I called the installer and I watched what he did. He loosened the u bolts that hold the 24" arm in place and slid the arm down about a half an inch. That did it, it moved the arc a hair to the east giving the arm more room to go that way. You can have the longest arm made, but if it is not secured at the proper place it will shorten the arc. Look at my photo and you can get an idea of what I am talking about. You can see the u bolts about half way up the arm just below the rubber protecter on that flat peice of iron. Loosen them and move the arm, thighten it, go in and check it. Repeat it until you get the satellite you want. I get everything from AMC 7 @ 137 to AMC 6 @72.

Attachments

• Dsc00212.jpg
    Dsc00212.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 230
Diamond Jim said:
When I first got ole BUD I could not get the satellite that was on the far east, Satcom 4. I called the installer and I watched what he did. He loosened the u bolts that hold the 24" arm in place and slid the arm down about a half an inch. That did it, it moved the arc a hair to the east giving the arm more room to go that way. You can have the longest arm made, but if it is not secured at the proper place it will shorten the arc. Look at my photo and you can get an idea of what I am talking about. You can see the u bolts about half way up the arm just below the rubber protecter on that flat peice of iron. Loosen them and move the arm, thighten it, go in and check it. Repeat it until you get the satellite you want. I get everything from AMC 7 @ 137 to AMC 6 @72.

Thanks for the info, Jim.

First, as for the u-bolts, I randomly selected a spot near the rubber boot and tighented it. Didn't know there was any science to it.

But now you've really got me thinking. Your actuator appears to be on the EAST (left) side of the mount...and actually contracts to "pull" the dish east?

My actuator is on the right (west) hand side and extends as the dish goes east. Is that my problem?

On the east coast it should be on the right, and set for linear west on the 4dtv, if on the west coast it should be on the left and set for linear east.

JerryK said:
Thanks for the info, Jim.
First, as for the u-bolts, I randomly selected a spot near the rubber boot and tighented it. Didn't know there was any science to it.
But now you've really got me thinking. Your actuator appears to be on the EAST (left) side of the mount...and actually contracts to "pull" the dish east?
My actuator is on the right (west) hand side and extends as the dish goes east. Is that my problem?

Jerry,
Believe me, there is no science to it. It's just eyeballs to the sky. If your arm is on the right side and pushes to the east, just loosen it and push it up a little bit. Just the opposite of what I had to do. If I was a gamblin' man I would bet my first born that if you do this you will get SBS 6. The only active TP on SBS 6 is the Newborn Channel on 101. In the early evening there are a few live feeds, so you shouldn't have any problem locking on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)