Should I buy the more expensive dish???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
As I've said elsewhere, mostly for the DIY and hobby enjoyment (or frustration), I am buying my own components and doing my own install. I am to the point where I am trying to decide on the dish. I certainly know that I want and need the Triple LNB (Phase 3) D* oval satellite dish antenna but there are different manufacturers. As an example I saw an RCA version for under $50 and a Terk version for about $130... I doubt the free installs include anything other than the cheapest version made but will I notice a difference if I buy the more expensive version of the Triple LNB oval dish??? Any input would be appreciated... thanks... diitto...

I say get the cheapest. I do not know the exact specs currently used, but they used to be branded by different companies even though they were made by the same manufacturer.
Maybe someone here can confirm or deny if this is still the case.

Eddie

If you have a clear line of sight, there's no reason not to get the cheapest dish. There are companies that make slightly oversized dishes (I think GainMaster does) that will pull in a stronger signal if you need it.

diitto said:
As I've said elsewhere, mostly for the DIY and hobby enjoyment (or frustration), I am buying my own components and doing my own install. I am to the point where I am trying to decide on the dish. I certainly know that I want and need the Triple LNB (Phase 3) D* oval satellite dish antenna but there are different manufacturers. As an example I saw an RCA version for under $50 and a Terk version for about $130... I doubt the free installs include anything other than the cheapest version made but will I notice a difference if I buy the more expensive version of the Triple LNB oval dish??? Any input would be appreciated... thanks... diitto...
Ditto I don't know why you don't want to participate in Directv's FREE PROMOTIONS but if you want to start a new account you cannot use USED EQUIPMENT it must be at least 1 NEW receiver. If you want the Phase 3 dish it is free with new systems that need it for local channels or subscribers to the Para Todos programming. Opcion Ultra Especial at $39.99 is very similar to the Total Choice Plus at $45.99. The Channel Master "Gain Master" is the only current oval dish that is worth an extra price, it is larger so it captures more signal. :)

I intend ONLY to buy new equipment

You said for a new account I must have at least one new receiver... I intend to buy ALL the equipment NEW but why do you say that at least one receiver must be new??? I admit that since I've never had an account before with D* I don't know how signing up for service really works so please explain what you mean by "at least one receiver must be new"... I've called D* but when you talk to them you can't get beyond the "why don't you want to let our installers put in your system for free"... Well if you knew my experience with contractors over the years, you wouldn't have to ask that question... And again, as I said elsewhere, I am doing this in part of a hobby like project... I am an Electrical Engineer so I do believe I can handle the technical part but its the administrative part, like what you said about needing at least one new receiver that I don't understand... Please explain if you would... much thanks... diitto

diitto said:
You said for a new account I must have at least one new receiver... I intend to buy ALL the equipment NEW but why do you say that at least one receiver must be new??? I admit that since I've never had an account before with D* I don't know how signing up for service really works so please explain what you mean by "at least one receiver must be new"... I've called D* but when you talk to them you can't get beyond the "why don't you want to let our installers put in your system for free"... Well if you knew my experience with contractors over the years, you wouldn't have to ask that question... And again, as I said elsewhere, I am doing this in part of a hobby like project... I am an Electrical Engineer so I do believe I can handle the technical part but its the administrative part, like what you said about needing at least one new receiver that I don't understand... Please explain if you would... much thanks... diitto
Directv will not start a new account with used equipment. You can add used equipment to an existing account but you cannot start a new account using used equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts