Should I get a 922?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mmcl26554

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Northern WV
I have a 3D TV, Dish occasionally does broadcast 3D movies, however, the only receivers which will show the 3D movies in 3D are either the Hopper or the 922. In my situation I cannot have a Hopper, because if I do then I cannot use my 612 in my RV and I will lose my super stations. So if I want 3D from Dish I have to get a 922. I know there has been a lot of complaining about the 922, but some are having good luck with it. I know Dish doesn't sell them anymore but there are many available from other sources. So my question is has the 922 become more stable and usable with any recent firmware, or would it be a constant source of irritation.
Michael

722/722k also do 3d...

EDIT: Nevermind... They DID do 3d but not anymore...

922 should be an OK receiver. It can't be any worse than the Hopper is with recent software updates...

I think an investment in a ViP922 is money down the toilet. They already are low on the totem pole for updates (if any other than bug fixes). MUCH better for the long run, and maybe even the 2-3 year run, to go with a Hopper. Why risk money on an already orphaned receiver?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: KAB
The Superstations won't be grandfathered over if you upgrade to the Hopper? Dish Depot has a ViP 922 alone(not combined with a western arc or eastern arc LNBF) for $119.00. http://www.dishdepot.com/dish_receivers.jsp . You have to scroll down to see it. That sounds like a very good price & you own it. You can only try,if it doesn't work for you,sell it on eBay. Then you can always get a Hopper AND a 211k or 211z receiver for your RV. You can hook up an EHD to upgrade the 211 to a 1-tuner DVR.

My only problem with the 211K is the EHD does not use the same format as the VIP and Hopper receivers so I cannot take content transferred to the EHD on a 722K or Hopper and watch it with the 211K. So I'm back to it's the 922 only, if I want 3D! Maybe sometime in the future Dish will decide to remove the restrictions on what receivers you can have on an account with the hopper. I don't understand why they have them anyway, why should they care?.
Michael

Is there really enough 3D content to merit the risk of a 922? Also, I wouldn't expect there to be any more in the future than there is now.

My two comments;
Ditto what Kab said above. For 3D content it's really with a 3D player and discs, or limited with something like Vudu.

You should not lose superstations changing equipment. Perhaps have a DIRT member make the change to insure. I would be more worried losing it changing packages.

There may not be enough selection of 3D movies to make it worthwhile, but there are a few other functions of the 922 that may be nice, if they all worked mostly OK. But, I don't know if Dish has ironed out most of the problems, which is one of the purposes of this thread. As far as losing the superstations, if I purchase a receiver on my own and authorize it I won't lose my superstations. However, if I get a Hopper from Dish on a lease basis, then I will. I haven't explored if I purchase one on my own what would happen, or even if the restrictions on other receivers would apply to an owned hopper. If purchasing a Hopper on my own would get around all the other receiver restrictions and losing the superstations, then that would be a viable option for me.
Michael

There may not be enough selection of 3D movies to make it worthwhile, but there are a few other functions of the 922 that may be nice, if they all worked mostly OK. But, I don't know if Dish has ironed out most of the problems, which is one of the purposes of this thread. As far as losing the superstations, if I purchase a receiver on my own and authorize it I won't lose my superstations. However, if I get a Hopper from Dish on a lease basis, then I will. I haven't explored if I purchase one on my own what would happen, or even if the restrictions on other receivers would apply to an owned hopper. If purchasing a Hopper on my own would get around all the other receiver restrictions and losing the superstations, then that would be a viable option for me.
Michael
You've already made up your mind that a 922 is what you want so just go buy it but don't tell us about your problems that you were warned about.

Reactions: KAB and navychop
I agree. You changed from 3D to the "other functions that may be nice" so if a 922 is your goal, (and I wouldn't based on the hundreds of posts here) buy one! If a DIRT member told you that you would lose superstations going to a Hopper I certainly can't dispute that. Otherwise it has been my first hand experience that upgrading equipment (I have not to a Hopper) or adding a receiver does not have to mean losing grandfathered channels. Could you? Especially if you don't use DIRT sure.
Perhaps upgrading specifically to a Hopper does IDK. I do believe there was an exception, those that had just locals did lose that and had to get the Welcome package.

Actually I haven't made up my mind yet. I just wanted if people are using the 922 now and are still having problems with them or not. Even if they are mostly stable I might not get one, just doing research.
I thank those of you who have given me your opinion as that is what I'm looking for.
Michael

Actually I haven't made up my mind yet. I just wanted if people are using the 922 now and are still having problems with them or not. Even if they are mostly stable I might not get one, just doing research.
I thank those of you who have given me your opinion as that is what I'm looking for.
Michael
If you haven't found it go to WWW.dbstalk.com and read their hopper forum

I have had my 922 disconnected for the last 8 months, so if they fixed it... But, essentially I could never rely on it to do recordings. Yes it would get most of them, but always seemed to run into issues and lose a few here and there.

I can honestly say I still love my 922. The early days it had its bugs. I have yet to have any problems over the last year or so. It's been a rock solid piece of hardware. Just my opinion.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts