Should I get a 922?

Really? That just removed what was the major stumbling block to me upgrading.... I have a bunch of content that I would hate to lose access to..... I knew I could move them between the 622 and 722, but I didn't realize they could jump generations without a hitch as well.... Hmm. Anyone know if they do free upgrades to upgrade to Hopper/Joey in exchange for a new commitment, or is there some other charge involved? (I'm on the service plan as well)

Generally the equipment upgrade is free but you are required to pay the technician visit fee. The fee is $95 unless you have the protection plan. The protection plan lowers the fee to $15. All upgrades require 24 month contract renewal.

Perfect. $15 to upgrade everything could work..... Can they use existing dishes/lnbs/switches or do they have to swap them out as well?

I assume that recording of all broadcast nets eats up a chunk of space. That really doesn't interest me as I rarely watch shows within a week of when they air as I tend to binge watch after several eps build up....
You will probably want to adjust the PTAT setting to save these shows for the shortest allowable time (I think it's (3) days) and for those few network shows you do watch, set a "series timer" for them. It will NOT duplicate them, i.e. a copy in the PTAT folder and a copy in the normal recordings folder. There will be just one copy. When you do this, it will be saved until you delete it (just like a normal recording) and not auto-deleted after 'x' days.

Perfect. $15 to upgrade everything could work..... Can they use existing dishes/lnbs/switches or do they have to swap them out as well?
Depends upon what you've got, but probably the dish/LNB combo will be fine. For a single Hopper install, they will add a solo node, probably near the dish. The wiring is a bit different but you don't need to worry about that- they'll do the work and it will be invisible to you.

Some stretches of coax must be 3GHz capable, so there is a chance they will need to replace some of the existing coax. No extra charge.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have to say,listening to all of the complaints about Hopper software lately makes me afraid to upgrade from my 2 ViP 722k's. I probably would add a ViP 922,as it is pretty cheap on the Dish Depot site. I just wouldn't use it as my main DVR Box. As it is,I'd be very slow to pull the trigger on a Hopper upgrade until I start hearing better reports about it.

That's an interesting question then..... For those of you that migrated from a 622/722 era device to a Hopper/Joey combo.... Do you regret the upgrade or do the benefits outweigh the positives?

I don't regret it. Almost all of the bugs I've read about here I only know of because I read about them here! . I've ran into a glitch here or there on my own, but they were no big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bobby
I guess the average Dish customer like me would have either 1 Hopper & 1 Super Joey or 2 Hoppers max. For those of us who haven't made the jump yet to the Hopper,reading the complaints about the current hopper software can make one hesitant to make the jump AT THIS TIME. You can be sure though that I'm reading & waiting to hear about improvements before i do jump.

Reactions: BobMurdoch
Just remember, the average Dish customer neither reads the info at this site nor needs more than (1) Hopper (although the latter is slowly changing over time).

As a person who had the 922 from the "early days" I can only say that I find it hard to believe the 922 is rock solid,but it it works for you God Bless you. THis receiver was one of the buggiest receivers I have ever had from DISH. I also had the 921 pvr that was the other most buggiest receiver. The only other receiver in the 900s that was any good was the 942 but they quickly took that one off the market . I had two of those and they were great.
Not sure what to tell you, but my current unit has been chugging along since late last year and with my OTA mod in place I routinely record 4 programs at the same time, while watching something I recorded the night before. It has not missed or lost a recording and it begins and ends on time, something the 722 before it never could get right. Also, it controls my two television set up without any need to spend any additional cash. I am happy that I am not spending the $9 or $12 a month more it would cost me to upgrade to a Hopper, that from all accounts is having just as many problems currently with software that the 922 did in the beginning.

Reactions: BobMurdoch
I have four TVs in use.... What setup would you recommend I pursue? 2 hoppers and two joeys or 1 with three joeys?

Really? That just removed what was the major stumbling block to me upgrading...

Not only will you be able to use the ehd's but each Hopper can support 2 ehd's at a time. So the trick would be to dl all your recordings on the internal hd before you upgrade.

ehd's are keyed to your account, not the receiver. Should you ever cancel Dish, all recordings are lost, even if you come back since you will have a new account number.

I don't regret upgrading to Hopper, I just wish it would work as designed. I get tired of babysitting my DVRs. It should be set it and forget it.

When my Hoppers make random recordings/scheduled recordings disappear for no apparent reason, then my faith in the product as a reliable DVR is diminished.

Not only will you be able to use the ehd's but each Hopper can support 2 ehd's at a time. So the trick would be to dl all your recordings on the internal hd before you upgrade.

ehd's are keyed to your account, not the receiver. Should you ever cancel Dish, all recordings are lost, even if you come back since you will have a new account number.

Thanks... I archived all my recordings to the ehds when I had to swap out a misbehaving 722 once.... I just wanted to make sure the newer generation receivers could access the content without an issue.

I went from the 622 to the 722k to the 922 to 2 Hopper 2000s then swapped one of them out with a Hopper with Sling. I have zero regrets. I've said it numerous times on this site, the benefits it has far outweigh any of the bugs it may have.

I have a sling adapter plugged into a USB port.... Does that work with the hopper or does it need a different solution to maintain the functionality?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts