Should I get a refund?

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
So I called to find out why I lost my CBS HD East when I was told I wouldn't since I live in LA and it is a CBS owned station as is CBS in NY. No issues with commercials as they both show the same ones (something like the commercials being national and not local/location specific). Anyway, that's not what I have a question about. During the call I was told that I have five receivers active when I only have four. Last year I upgraded a model 6000 to a 942 and turned off the 6000. I sold the old 6000 on ebay almost a year ago. I figured since I didn't hear from the purchaser, all was well and they were able to activate it on their account. Finding out that D didn't deactivate it like I asked when I upgraded, it seems the purchaser must have connected it and got my programming and so didn't activate it on their account.

So my question is.... Does D owe me a refund for all the months of billing when I had deactivated it? It's deactivated now, so the new owner will have to activate it. I think D owes me. Should I push the issue with them? They didn't seem willing to refund, but I didn't push.

Thanks!

Refund?

So I called to find out why I lost my CBS HD East when I was told I wouldn't since I live in LA and it is a CBS owned station as is CBS in NY. No issues with commercials as they both show the same ones (something like the commercials being national and not local/location specific). Anyway, that's not what I have a question about. During the call I was told that I have five receivers active when I only have four. Last year I upgraded a model 6000 to a 942 and turned off the 6000. I sold the old 6000 on ebay almost a year ago. I figured since I didn't hear from the purchaser, all was well and they were able to activate it on their account. Finding out that D didn't deactivate it like I asked when I upgraded, it seems the purchaser must have connected it and got my programming and so didn't activate it on their account.

So my question is.... Does D owe me a refund for all the months of billing when I had deactivated it? It's deactivated now, so the new owner will have to activate it. I think D owes me. Should I push the issue with them? They didn't seem willing to refund, but I didn't push.

Thanks!

To start w/ 1st last. No they don't owe you a refund. It is for the customer that is selling his unit to make sure it is deactivated. Now for the other things. It isn't D that stands for Directv, E* stands for Echostar (dish net). Last CBS HD E (NY) is a distant for you. Also the CBS W does run local ads so there are different 1's in LA than NY runs.

FYI, the person you sold the 6000 to probably used it to hack DISH Network not knowing it was still active on your account!

Other than that, its your responcibility to make sure your bill is correct, since "Technically" the receiver was active on your account where you could have used it to watch programming.

An argument to this would be when I switched phone companies at the office, the old carrier billed me up for the long distance portaion until 9 months later. So I paid 2 bills for the same service, 1 to SBC and 1 to Talk America. Talk america owed me a refund because I can only use 1 service and was paying SBC.

But If I ordered called ID, and didn't catch the billing mistake till 5 months later then its my problem because I technically could have used it.

Yeah, guess it is my fault. I use my debit card to pay and canceled the paper bill. If I did get a viewable bill I would have noticed it. Just trusted the quoted amount was correct and didn't bother to verify. Live and learn....

Well if the person that purchased the unit had intended on activating it, but didn't because it worked from the moment they hooked it up, they will have to now. I've called twice now to verify that the unit has been deactivated and removed from my account. :)

Appreciate you taking time to reply. Thanks!

Yeah, guess it is my fault. I use my debit card to pay and canceled the paper bill. If I did get a viewable bill I would have noticed it. Just trusted the quoted amount was correct and didn't bother to verify. Live and learn....

When you sign up for paperless billing, there is a note that your bill is viewable on your account paper on dishnetwork.com. I went paperless a year ago and view my bill as soon as it is online. Any adjustments can be made and you payable total is changed before your due date, making it easier to pay the correct amount every month.

I just swapped out my 2nd Gen HD receivers for the ViP units and I found out that Dish still had my 6000 listed on my account, even though I hadn't had it active and had traded it in to the Dish Depot last year. The service tech that was doing the ViP622 install had the work order from Dish and it showed that I owned four receivers (942/811/6000/ViP211) on my account. I told the CSR I had on the phone that I had sold the 6000 in May of last year and to take it, the 811, and the 942 off of my account.

I know I wasn't charged an additional receiver fee, but I wonder if it is because I have the extended warranty on my account? That's the only reason I can see why Dish would keep tabs on that. Well, I just thought of another.

So, anyone that has removed receivers from their accounts and sold/traded those units to another party might want to call 800-333-DISH and make sure your account accurately reflects your current situation.

Well if the person that purchased the unit had intended on activating it, but didn't because it worked from the moment they hooked it up, they will have to now. I've called twice now to verify that the unit has been deactivated and removed from my account. :)

Appreciate you taking time to reply. Thanks!

With DirecTV they send you an email each month to let you know that your bill is online.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)