Should I get an HR24 or HR44?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
HR44 is faster than HR34.
HR2x is faster than any Genie, but not a lot.

Are you saying that any HR dvr is faster than any genie? Most (if not all) would strongly disagree.
The 44 is generally accepted to be the fastest DVR D* has ever put out, and some say it is faster than the hoppers.
Having had all the above, I would say that is fairly accurate. Its on par with the hopper, and MUCH faster than the normal HR dvrs, these days including the 24.

Are you saying that any HR dvr is faster than any genie? Most (if not all) would strongly disagree.
The 44 is generally accepted to be the fastest DVR D* has ever put out, and some say it is faster than the hoppers.
Having had all the above, I would say that is fairly accurate. Its on par with the hopper, and MUCH faster than the normal HR dvrs, these days including the 24.

I have not seen the HR44 since the most recent software update, but I was disappointed with its speed compared to the HR34, based on the hype from these forums. Three of my friends have HR24s. I used to have one. They are faster than the HR44, although, like I said, not much. The Hopper and 722 receivers on Dish are so fast and bugless - you press a button, and it does what it's supposed to do virtually instantly. All D* receivers have lag, some, like HR34, have significant lag and explainable issues. Other people who have had D* for years really can't say much since they've not had other providers to see how slow the boxes really are and they are just used to it. Even the new TWC software is faster than the HR34... It's very similar to the HR44 for speed, and less buggy according to a friend who was sick of the Genies. Even looks like the D* black guide.

I have not seen the HR44 since the most recent software update, but I was disappointed with its speed compared to the HR34, based on the hype from these forums. Three of my friends have HR24s. I used to have one. They are faster than the HR44, although, like I said, not much. The Hopper and 722 receivers on Dish are so fast and bugless - you press a button, and it does what it's supposed to do virtually instantly. All D* receivers have lag, some, like HR34, have significant lag and explainable issues. Other people who have had D* for years really can't say much since they've not had other providers to see how slow the boxes really are and they are just used to it. Even the new TWC software is faster than the HR34... It's very similar to the HR44 for speed, and less buggy according to a friend who was sick of the Genies. Even looks like the D* black guide.

I think you may find a difference in speed between those that have the Genie, regardless of which model, and those with the Genie and hooked up to clients ....

Is there a difference in speed between these two scenarios ?

Maybe that would explain how some say thiers is fast as others, while other people say the opposite.

I think you may find a difference in speed between those that have the Genie, regardless of which model, and those with the Genie and hooked up to clients ....

Is there a difference in speed between these two scenarios ?

Maybe that would explain how some say thiers is fast as others, while other people say the opposite.

This is an excellent point, Jimbo. I had never thought of that. I have a client. I have considered dropping it and splitting the HDMI from my Genie since the two TVs are not that far apart (rooms they are in are adjacent) and I never watch the two of them at the same time. Perhaps I will split the HDMI and disconnect the client and do some speed tests.

My HR44 is one of the faster boxes Ive owned for with regards to a button press, including the Hopper. I love it (most of the time).

This is an excellent point, Jimbo. I had never thought of that. I have a client. I have considered dropping it and splitting the HDMI from my Genie since the two TVs are not that far apart (rooms they are in are adjacent) and I never watch the two of them at the same time. Perhaps I will split the HDMI and disconnect the client and do some speed tests.

That is a good point, I have all DVRs.

It is and by quite a bit. The HR44 is faster than my Hopper w/Sling was, though the difference is slight. If the HR34 is all they are sending out these days, I'm glad I'm already signed up! Had they only had the HR34 available when I signed up, the tech would have had a wave goodbye from me! :)

I like my HR44 but faster than my Hopper
Not a chance.

Speed between a HWS and HR44 is negligible. Might as well argue what is faster between a red ferrari and a yellow ferrari. Both are fast and then you get more into features and ease of menu movements.

Now HR44 vs older Hopper is not as close, my Hopper was laggy which was why I put it in the bedroom and used the HWS in the living room. Anways, who cares, this is the Directv forum...

Yeah the older Hopper wasn't as fast as my HWS was. My son who was using that older version commented about that a few times.

And there is no way in hell that the HR24 was even close to being as fast as the HR44 is right now. It wasn't horrible, but it was a bit laggy.

I had the HR24-200 for 3 years and at first it was fast, then over time it slowed, then I had fan noise issues, and it was getting kind of warm to the touch, then it really went slower than usual, But then I've got a replacement HR24-500 a few days ago, And while it's not really fast, It was faster than the HR24-200 that I've had, And the PQ looks noticeably better too, It also look newer not refurbished or used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Taking a chance on an HR44 from eBay. Found a swm16 pretty cheap too, hopefully by next weekend I'll be up and running. Still unsure about the remote. Hopefully it will control my audio receiver, otherwise I'll prolly stick with the old remote using IR for the DVR. Can't wait to get it all hooked up and start playing with it. 100 series links 5 tuners wireless internet & speedy menus all for the same price as an HR24 sold me on it...We'll see...

Taking a chance on an HR44 from eBay. Found a swm16 pretty cheap too, hopefully by next weekend I'll be up and running. Still unsure about the remote. Hopefully it will control my audio receiver, otherwise I'll prolly stick with the old remote using IR for the DVR. Can't wait to get it all hooked up and start playing with it. 100 series links 5 tuners wireless internet & speedy menus all for the same price as an HR24 sold me on it...We'll see...

I believe the new remote does NOT handle any addl. Devices other than the recvr. Itself.

the 5 tuners is nice too ;)

Theres not AV1 and AV2 on the remote, right ?

No there isn't, not even a TV button either. You set up the remote with menuing from the HR44 for the TV and AVR and the only thing it does with the TV is turn it on and off, and the AVR only controls the volume.

No there isn't, not even a TV button either. You set up the remote with menuing from the HR44 for the TV and AVR and the only thing it does with the TV is turn it on and off, and the AVR only controls the volume.

Except for the slight inconvenience of having to turn the AVR off yourself, it sounds like the HR44 remote works fine. After all, if you are turning everything off, you are getting up and leaving the room 99.9% of the time. (I might be exaggerating slightly!)

You set up the remote with menuing from the HR44 for the TV and AVR and the only thing it does with the TV is turn it on and off, and the AVR only controls the volume.
Except for the slight inconvenience of having to turn the AVR off yourself, it sounds like the HR44 remote works fine. After all, if you are turning everything off, you are getting up and leaving the room 99.9% of the time. (I might be exaggerating slightly!)

Yeah, I am thinking this might not be that big of a deal, I hate the idea of going back to the stone age of using (shudders at the thought) IR to control the DVR. I guess I will if I have to but we'll see...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)