Should I have a tech out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directvfreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I had my dish moved and the signal on 103 is now 41-45!:eek: It is now lower than it has ever been. I knew this and the installer said it is the highest he could get.:confused: Some of you are reporting it up in the 80s and 90s. With Columbus locals comming on soon. I want to have a picture!

Last edited:
By the way... Since we have had so many techs out to have it alligned, he said the elevation-azimuth back unit is warn and won't work as well. Should I let directv know and have an installer bring a new dish.

I have never used a signal meter once. I am not a pro installer either. If the meter on the receiver is what you see that reads too low, then by all means use it to peak. Now, that said, if YOU bump it out of signal and can't watch TV, remember it will be up to you to fix.

Last edited:
Your signal on the 103 should be 90 or better. It is a spot beam so the H-20 is giving the proper reading in the 103 sat. The other Sat's. will read about 20 percent lower than other receivers hooked up to the AT-9.

It's very encouraging that the technician who came out to realign your dish recognized [correctly] that the elevation and azimuth dither pins have become too worn to align the dish. It's unfortunate that he didn't forward that information to anyone who could help him replace your dish. Call DirecTV and have them have the local HSP office in your particular area give you a call and speak to someone personally (either a field, tech or training supervisor) and explain that your KA/KU dishes dither pins are worn out and the whole dish needs to be replaced. You could attempt another service call, but it's somewhat hit or miss as to whether or not the proper notes will be put on the front of the work order indicating you need a brand new replacement dish. I try my best to get my techs in my area to carry spare dishes with them when they have an HD service call, but warranty service calls such as yours are sometimes not labeled as such and so the tech never requests your dish.

Not making excuses or anything, I'm just trying to show you how the system works...

double check everything

directvfreak said:
I had my dish moved and the signal on 103 is now 41-45!:eek: It is now lower than it has ever been. I knew this and the installer said it is the highest he could get.:confused: Some of you are reporting it up in the 80s and 90s. With Columbus locals comming on soon. I want to have a picture!

Are you installing the KA KU dish or is it an international.. I have heard that distance plays a big key in your installation as well. If hte dish is more than 150 feet from the reciever you will get a low signal. Also remember that since it is an HD receiver that because of the modulator your signal will decrease some if you have to have a modulator.
Double check your alignment and make sure you dont have a lot of trees and foliage in the way. With the coming of spring and summer the trees have filled in and a lot of people are losing their signal and are scratching their heads trying to figure out why.
Also make sure that every connection from your lnbs all the way to the ground block and any barrel connection is tight and the cable is done correctly. As far as the fittings. The white should be flush and none of the metallic strands should be touching the braid. IF not any of those you might have a bad lnb or like you said the mast and mounting assembly is screwed up. AlSO MOST IMPORTANT make sure everything is perfectly level.
DTVSERVICETECH

Status
Please reply by conversation.