Should I have any hope for better PQ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
charper1 said:
Just FYI there is no movement to make HD the standard, just digital and digital can still include plenty of 4:3 material.

That's fine. Digital channels means digital TVs. Digital TVs will most likely handle HD. When the number of TV sets able to handle HD reach more than 50% of our population you can bet we will see those "150 national HD channels" as a reality. My concern is that today we just have few HD channels and the quality is deteriorating every time they add more channels. If nothing really big happens with satellite availability we will see our HD quality close to our SD 10 years ago. I was in France last month and one big store was showing the new line of Panasonic plasmas. The signal was SD from satellite and the picture was far superior than our best SD here in US.

FlyingJ said:
Questioner I really hope you are happy with your ED Plasma, really. But, I do look at as "ignorance is bliss" First off, you can debate the ED or HD all day. I personally see no advantage at all to a plasma set except for the fact that it is not a piece of furniture, which is a huge advantage to be sure. Pic wise, ummm no, just a whole lot of money, and the ED version to me is for someone that wants the Caddy but can only afford the Buick. You spend that kind of money, you don't want "decent", of course this is coming form a projector guy.

This is a first .......I agree. BUT the thing is, you can get that cadillac HD set in DLP form for the same price or less than ED Plasma.

this 42" ED plasma sells for 1800 bucks:

http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?source=yahoossp&id=20087&Ovchn=OVR&ovcpn=Search+Submit+Pro&ovcrn=yahoossp&ovtac=PI

You can get a 50 inch sammy HD DLP from Onecall from anywhere between 1500-1800 bucks depending on the sale. Currently its 1699.00

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=12-79%2c3-16%2c6-419%2c7-14&menu=true&id=27204

There is no reason for ED plasma unless you are going to watch 99% SD material IMO.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
This is a first .......I agree. BUT the thing is, you can get that cadillac HD set in DLP form for the same price or less than ED Plasma.

this 42" ED plasma sells for 1800 bucks:

You can get a 50 inch sammy HD DLP from Onecall from anywhere between 1500-1800 bucks depending on the sale. Currently its 1699.00

There is no reason for ED plasma unless you are going to watch 99% SD material IMO.

Or you could spend 2 grand and get the top of the line picture that only CRT RP can give you and at 65 inches!!!

Unhappy with PQ

I guess you are not allowed to complain about D, just go away, how about those tivo fees you are paying!

logixrat said:
Yes slimoli, my 55" SDTV is a RPTV. Reflecting back those 3+ years when I had Dish Network the first time and it was good, that was also the time I bought my current big screen.

Before settling on the 55" SDTV, I had actually invested and brought home a 55" Mitsu HDTV set. I forget the model numbers now, it's been too long. Anyhow, I hooked it up to my standard E* receivers and it looked like dog poop. So bad in fact, I returned the Mitsu and ended up buying the 55" SDTV I currently have.

As much as I liked the HDTV concept and 16:9 ratio, I just couldn't deal with the "compression" issue and stretched/fat people views I got with my HDTV set. Plus it cost alot more. So I returned the Mitsu, got a refund and bought my current TV. I paid less than $1k for my 55" SDTV with every intent of upgrading in 4-5 years when HDTV was adapted as the "standard".

IMO we are still several years from this happening. It's actually more like a bastardized time with HD and SD running together the way they are, which makes it a horrible time to invest in new equipment. Obviously we all want the best for the long term, but unfortunately I think that will yield a crappier picture in the short term until HD is the standard. :(

I did the same thing you did a few years ago and bought a Mitsibishi hd tv I think it was a 55" hd tv monitor. I plugged my 721 into it and the picture looked like crap. After 3 days of watching the face smear all over the screen I called Best Buy and said come and get this peice of crap. It ended up trading it for a standard def version of the same tv and the picture looked good with it.

I have since upgraded to a Toshib 57 " hd tv. It makes the picture of my 942 and now 622 look excellent. The picture looks pretty damn good with the dvi /hdmi cable. The Toshiba has a movie mode that makes the picture of Dishnetwork sd and hd look excellent in comparison to my Mitsibishi hd tv.

If you still want an hd tv I suggest you take your receiver and plug it in to the Toshiba on display at your electronics store and check out the picture for your self. I own 3 Toshiba tvs now and two are hd ones. I can't recommend them highly enough for Dishnetwork programming, both hd and more importantly sd programming. Most tv is still in sd and will be for quite sometime. Toshiba seems to make the most of both formats. ****I realise that you have Directv so it might not work for you with them as their pq is pretty poor right now on both hd and sd . But if you are interested in looking with your reciever you could try to do the same thing with your directv receiver and look for yourself and see if it helps.

Last edited:
A good deal on an edtv is still quite a bit cheaper than a good deal on a comparable model hdtv set, worth it for some who watch a lot of SD, problem is deals on edtvs are harder to find since there aren't as many good ones on the market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)