**Should I return to DISH?? LOTS of questions!! Please help!!**

AngryStamen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
First off, let me warn you all that this will be a somewhat lengthy post, so reader beware! But I just want to cover all the bases and give full and complete info to anyone kind enough to help me. First off, some info:

-I am located in Pittsburgh, PA, and I was a Dish subscriber from September 2003 to December 2005 (over 2 years). I had signed up under a promotion that gave me ownership of a DVR 510 and a 301 receiver after a 2 year contract period. I was a good customer, never late with a payment (actually signed up for autopay.)

I am now considering a return to Dish after being away for over 1.5 years. I don't have an HDTV yet, but I should be getting one in a month or so. I'm planning on getting the AT200 or AT250 programming, w/ HD. Here's my questions:

1) As a RETURNING customer, and not a FIRST TIME, NEW customer, what kind of benefits/drawbacks should I expect? Should I have my wife sign up under her name? Would that get me a better deal?

2) If I commit for 18 months, will I get the same deal as a new customer (i.e., $50 activation fee credit on first bill, free VIP 622, etc.)?

3) As a RETURNING customer, would I still qualify for the free VIP 622? Don't have and HDTV yet, but it's right around the bend!

4) I've read that the 722 is launching on August 15...Should I wait till then to sign up? Will it be offered for free? What exactly is the difference between 722 vs. 622?

5) I currently have an DishPro 500 on my roof. Is that sufficient for the level of programming (including HD) that I am considering?

6) As mentioned earlier, I have a DVR 510 and a 301 receiver. Since I own them, can I just hook them up to the system after I get the VIP 622 installed, or do I need to have the dish guy do it? Will I be charged a $5/mo. fee for each? Would there be an additional $5/mo. fee for the 510 DVR, even if I own the hardware?

7) Are any fees waived if you have one/some/all receivers hooked up to a phone line?

8) I have RG-59 cable in the walls, would it improve video quality if I replace it w/ RG-6? Will DISH do it?

9) What is the quality of the OTA HD/SD video signal hooked into the 622 vs. directly into an HDTV? (I would be getting a nice, big roof antenna to get the best signal, and I live 10 mins. from downtown Pittsburgh.)

10) If the quality of OTA is good enough, as asked in question 7, I would considering not getting the locals through DISH. Would that violate any requirements with their deals/promotions, i.e., do you HAVE to buy their locals to get a deal?

Thanks to any and all who have read my War-and-Peace-length post here!! Any answers, insight, suggestions, and information is really, greatly appreciated!!

they have a little thing on here about the fees and also you will tell you on dish website as well but the one on here seems better, and from my understanding doesnt matter if you were with them a 1 yr or 2 ago you will get same deal as a newbie, at least thats what dish tells me im in same exact except i already have the hdtv. im getting the 622. im going without commitment, 18 months is a long time , the hardest part i find is getting someone on the phone that knows what their talking about, that is the only drawback with dishnet.

I would suggest emailing dish with your questions so you can print out your answers for future complaints. #8 is a problem you need RG-6 cable wall fishes should be at your expense but the salesmab(CSR) will promise anything to get you as a customer.

You qualify as a New Customer since you've been away for over 6 months. You'll get all the new customer deals. The only thing I remembered that they didn't let me do was activate my old receivers, for whatever reason they said I couldn't add my old receivers.

If Dish Network comes and install you as a new customer, they need to replace the RG59 cable you have, you must have RG6.

You qualify as a New Customer since you've been away for over 6 months. You'll get all the new customer deals. The only thing I remembered that they didn't let me do was activate my old receivers, for whatever reason they said I couldn't add my old receivers.

If Dish Network comes and install you as a new customer, they need to replace the RG59 cable you have, you must have RG6.

Wait a minute.. if you are returning customer (even after 6 months), they won't let you go with No Commitment - There is a MANDATORY 18 months commitment to get the free receiver (actually leased). Dish Store says this on their web site. Only new customer 1st time customer can get that deal.

The Pittsburgh HD locals are on the 118 satellite, so you will need a Dish 1000.2? (I think thats what its called) instead of just your Dish500. Plus You will somehow need to receive signals from either the 61.5 (yah!) or 129 (boo!) satellites. The Dish 1000 I think gets 129 (boo! hiss!) already. So that it likely what will get installed by Dish.

The 722 and 622 are essentially identical. The 722 has a bigger hard drive, but the extra space is reserved for Dish's use (ie VOD and stuff like that). Plus with External Hard drive support just around the corner, that extra space would be a moot point anyway. I guess the biggest difference between the two would be the color. 622 Silver (boo! hiss!) and the 722 is Black (sweet!). So if you want a Black (sweet!) receiver, then hold off until August.

"they won't let you go with No Commitment "

I never said that. I said you will get the deal like a new customer gets.

Ok.. my error reading into this.

Regardless for AngryStamen, for his question (2), I believe he can't opt out for NOT committing. Since he's returning customer, he has to commit 18 months in other to get same deal like new customer.

Says who? Even existing customers if they upgrade their equipment, they'll need to commit to the "dang" 18 months.

You don't. The only reason to commit to the 18 months is if you want a $50 credit on the first bill and you want the free warranty. You can lease any receiver for free and get free installation WITHOUT committing to anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts