Should I switch from Directv to Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kungfumoo

Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Mainly I want a DVR. Currently I have Directv with a 2 line dish and 2 receivers. I understand a switch(splitter?) can be used to add the second line for the DVR and with prewired outlets on the other side of the room for the dvr a cable run would be easy.
My main dilemma is the DVR service from DirecTv and DishNetwork.

Basically if I go DirecTv I get a DVR that can record 2 shows but only plays on 1 TV. Also they get to lock me in for another 2 years even tho I have had it for about 4 years now.

With Dish Network their 1 DVR can be operated from 2 different TV's which would be a very nice feature being able to watch from bedroom or living room.

If DirecTv didnt chain me for another 2 years I would have picked one up with no questions asked but it irks me to make that commitment again.

So I dunno, what would you do? Programming is not an issue to me because I just watch the basic channels offered on both. Is it worth switching to Dish as I have no idea how their service/ signal / product is in quality compared to DirecTv but that 2 tv DVR is a very tempting feature (and it has more recording hours). Also do you think they would just mount a second dish on my house and the old one be left as is or are all the dishes the same?

welcome to the site, glad you are here.

what i would do is compare the two and see what is right for you. what you will find out by asking that questions is that the dish people will say dish and the directv people will say directv.

dish usually has a lower up front cost. directv has better softward for pvrs/dvrs. picture quality is about equal. if you have to have nfl sunday ticket, go with directv. i would go with what would save you money.

Currently I have neither - so no zealotry either way :).

D* Advantages:
DirecTivo
NFL Sunday Ticket
You own the equipment

E* Advantages
Multi-room DVR, save 2nd reciever fee
More HD Available (Voom!)
You lease the equipment
Programming seems cheaper

For me Dish was looking to come out on top. It's lower cost up front and the monthly was cheaper for me too.

If you're going to be investing in the hardware, is a two year commitment really a big deal?

Hi and thanks.

I would really like a DVR that can play 2 TV's but installing a whole new system well bleh. I guess I'll just flip a coin.

kungfumoo said:
I would really like a DVR that can play 2 TV's but installing a whole new system well bleh. I guess I'll just flip a coin.

IMHO, E*'s "2-room DVR" is a farce, because of the fact that while each room can individually access their own DVR events, each room can ONLY record from 1 tuner at a time. (assuming both rooms are being used) If either room wants to watch or record a 2nd live show, they're SOL.

Contrast this with putting a D-Tivo in each of those same rooms - BOTH rooms get TWO tuners & can access their own events. The monthly price on having this access is only an extra $6 a month, since D* does NOT charge a DVR fee on each DVR box - to me & many of my customers, it's worth the extra money for the extra convenience of dual tuners in BOTH rooms.

kungfumoo said:
Hi and thanks.

Well you wouldnt have to install the system new, thats what the tech does. Its not a bonus to own the equipment really, leasing it is a benefit in that it is always covered under a limited warranty meaning that at worst to replace any parts such as reciever, remote, lnbf, and switch will cost $14.95 to ship.

I do alot of direct to dish conversions so that may say something then again it may be nothing more than deal hoppers wich I think is the majority and the rest are those with old systems wanting to upgrade but not getting any deal from direct on new gear.

Myself Im not an nfl fan, I just cant get into watching overweight grown men chasing each other across a grassy field trying to grab another guy carrying a ball so nfl ticket not being on dish is no big deal to me. Compare the packages is the best way to go, and look at the equipment, there are ways to record and watch on two tv's at the same time with 2 dual tuner dvr's on 2 tv's in the house.

Hmm well since 2 DVR's would work just as well maybe even better that would leave me in for about what 150-200 bucks which isn't that bad. I think I'll just give the DirecTv a go then instead of doing a full switch.

kungfumoo said:
Hmm well since 2 DVR's would work just as well maybe even better that would leave me in for about what 150-200 bucks which isn't that bad. I think I'll just give the DirecTv a go then instead of doing a full switch.

When you call Direct ask for the retention dept. They will work out a deal for you and maybe some freebie programing. I updated my system in May to HD and another regular box and they were more than fair with me and very courteous. Some extra cabling had to be done and they scheduled it while I was on the phone and the work was done 48 hours later by a installation company 100 miles from my home and the installer who did the work was very professional and competent. The cabling, extra regular box, a replacement reg. box and a 5 lnb dish were free. I had to pay a reduced price for the HD box and they threw in some free programming. They go out of their way to keep good customers.

But remember also that the "more HD" from Dish will only work for those who can get 61.5. Several people (like myself) can't get it due to the low angle of the sat (that and freaking pine trees in the way!).

Shawn95GT said:
Currently I have neither - so no zealotry either way :).

D* Advantages:
DirecTivo
NFL Sunday Ticket
You own the equipment

E* Advantages
Multi-room DVR, save 2nd reciever fee
More HD Available (Voom!)
You lease the equipment
Programming seems cheaper

For me Dish was looking to come out on top. It's lower cost up front and the monthly was cheaper for me too.

If you're going to be investing in the hardware, is a two year commitment really a big deal?

Fgsilva said:
But remember also that the "more HD" from Dish will only work for those who can get 61.5. Several people (like myself) can't get it due to the low angle of the sat (that and freaking pine trees in the way!).

I'll rent ya a chain saw :dev I've seen dish 300's pointed west to get 148 albeit most were on a second story balcony but they had sig strength in the 90% range and thats from detroit.

I dispute the comment that PQ is about equal. People have posted measurements on another forum (and perhaps in this one) showing E* as a general rule has less compression and higher bitrates and resolution than D*. This is especially true for HD. Maybe you don't have HD yet, but you will, and PQ matters more the larger the screen. The term "HD-Lite" was coined as a term of contempt for D* HD.

Around the end of the year E* HD is supposed to move from the 61.5 satellite to one that will allow the use of a single dish (Dish 1000?). Which one has not been released.

Tivo is no longer pushed by D* although they will continue to provide units if asked by customers. The contract expires in 2007 and Ruppert has announced that it will not be renewed. There may not be an HD MPEG-4 Tivo released for D*. D* wants to push people onto their own branded units, from another company that Ruppert also controls, and he has already declared his units will offer features others (such as Tivo) don't.

The E* 942, and presumably the upcoming MPEG-4 model 962 (based on the 942) is an excellent machine and is faster than the Tivo. Two DVRs will always offer more flexibility than just one, feeding two rooms, whichever company you use. But a single one controlling 2 rooms will be cheaper. And you can run it in single mode (and switch back and forth) and the primary room can control all tuners, and even feed the same signal to both rooms. You have the option to own or lease with E*.

Ive set up a home with 2 522's, unit A went in the living room while unit B went into the man cave, the back feed from A went to the man cave and split to the rumpous room, the back feed from B went to the living room and to the rumpous room also. The customer then purchased 2 additional number 2 remotes for the rumpous room and all was well, three rooms each with dvr functions and the option to record one program while watching another.

E* has moved Voom HD to the 129 satellite, but is still also using the 61.5 satellite. Reception from 129 should be activated soon- certainly by year's end, probably sooner.

Chances are if you have been with Directv for 4 years and call them and tell them you are cancelling because you are moving to Dish network for a DVR, Directv will give you a free DVR with no contract - happened to my dad's friend. If they are being sticklers about it I would just go with Dish Network.

Well I went ahead and ordered the DVR and can't wait. Lost is coming up and now I won't miss it while working night shift. Oh and HD yeah right. I have a 32" crt sitting in an alcove built for a 50" widescreen. I was going to buy a new TV about 2 years ago but the technology was still being worked out. I'll probably get it in late 06 when prices come way down. Till then I don't miss what Ive never had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)