Should I switch from HR10 to HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinmike87

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
I know that when the HR20 originally came out last year, there were many problems. It seems like most of those have been addressed. The question is, is it time for me to switch?

We have held onto the HR10-250 because we like the TiVo functionality. But recently, we have begun experiencing some issues with it. We are considering going to the HR20. I would just like to get some input from folks on here as to the pluses and minuses of switching. Are there things the new box does better? Are there things you liked better about the TiVo?

I guess, in reality, we will have to switch soon if we want to get the new HD offerings. But I'd just like to know what to expect before we make the move.

Thanks

If you want to stay with D* then you must have an HR20. You can keep both that and your HR10 if you choose to. If you want to leave D* then you have several other choices. It's your call.

There are several threads talking about the HR20 here. The unit for me is very stable and reliable and actually my given choice over a Tivo unit despite being a fan since 1999. I am so much a fan of the HR20 now that I just replaced an HR10-250 with my second HR20. So the timing is perfect. Get in before the rush and all the new HD channels in the Fall. Thats just my opinion.

Yeah I would go ahead and do it now while there isn't a backlog of orders going in.

Directv is spending billions on these new satellites, dish upgrades, hardware upgrades, etc. You betcha there is a going to be a multi-million dollar marketing campaign when the channels become active. And if it works, its gonna be chaos for the first few months as they try to fulfill orders. Even if the dishes and receivers are stock piled, the bottle neck will be on the limited amount of credible installers.

As stated, if you plan to stick with DirecTV and want HD you really have no choice.

If your answer is Yes to the above then get one. Since you have an HR10 now then you should be able to get the HR20 for just the $20 shipping. If you don't, call back and ask again or talk with retention about it.

And I'd do it within the next few weeks if not sooner. I think once the new HD lights up there will be a HUGE backlog created (plus it's Sunday Ticket time) and I'd expect a huge advertising campain centered around the holidays so that backlog may not break until next year. Get in now before all that happens. I'm going to call in for a second HR20 here soon for that very reason.

I've had my HR20 for almost two months now and I love it! It's a solid box and it hasn't missed a recording. I prefer the HR20 over the HD Tivo. There are a number of things that the HR20 can do that the HD Tivo doesn't. Plus, the HR20 is much, much faster at everything compared to the Tivo.

I've had my HR20 for almost two months now and I love it! It's a solid box and it hasn't missed a recording. I prefer the HR20 over the HD Tivo. There are a number of things that the HR20 can do that the HD Tivo doesn't. Plus, the HR20 is much, much faster at everything compared to the Tivo.

The HR20 isn't faster to me. After that last update for the Tivo it was much faster.

The HR20 isn't faster to me. After that last update for the Tivo it was much faster.

What is slow about the HR20? Just wondering because I don't see anything slow about the HR20. It's one of the top things I like about it.

It takes too long for me when I change the channel to switch.

Leaving Native On will slow down channel changing. Its nice if you have a set that does all formats and you want to keep the original format to match the TV setting. It does pay a price on performance however.

My TV displays all types so that is why I leave it there. I might try it off and see what happens.

Try setting the HR20 to Native off and set the format to your TV's native resolution.

So if your TV is 720p then set the HR20 to 720p with Native off. Channel changes should only be 1-2 seconds or so, perhaps an extra second when going to and from an MPEG4 channel.

For example, I have a 1080i set. So I have HR20 native off with 480i and 1080i as the only selected resolutions. I leave it on 1080i most of the time. When there is an SD letterbox show I will sometime change the resolution via the format button on the remote to change to 480i and then let my TV stretch/upconvert it if I feel it will look better. But for the most part I just leave it at 1080i and enjoy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HELP we cannot receive hd only sd

'10 days left'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts