Should I switch the Dishes (Western Arc to Eastern Arc)

navigates

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Los Angeles
I have one WA dish and one with EA. The WA dish has the fine tuning adjustment. The Eastern Arc does not have it and is black in color. In the Eastern Arc I cannot seem to peak the three sats 61.5, 72.7 and 77. I have to let 77 go to get the other two. Are the EA and WA dish the same in terms of signal? or should I switch the dishes.

My current Config is as follows:
WA: 118 ONLY
EA: 72.7, 61.5 (Can't get 77)

Should I change it as below?
Use the EA dish with WA Lnb for 118
Use the WA dish with EA Lnb for 72.7, 77 and 61.5

You should use an EA dish for the EA -OR- a WA dish for the WA.

The EA dish should be the one with the fine tuning adjustment (1000.4) IIRC.

What local market are you supposed to be getting?

Do you subscribe to international channels?

I'm in Los Angeles and don't have the LOS for 129. Therefore trying to get it though the Eastern Arc. I would like to get the three EA sats, so I can pick up Locals from the EA dish. Since the EA dish is smaller (at least in my case), I was thinking of switching the dishes as the WA dish is larger and the EA dish that I have is smaller by about 6 inches

I think the most important thing that you should concern yourself with is whether you need to get local and international channels. I live two miles from the Atlantic Ocean. I used to have 110 and 119. Then along came HD and Dish put up another dish for 61.5. Last year they came and switched me to the Eastern Arc and removed the 110 and 119 dish. Three months ago Dish finally had access to the local channels. They are located on the Western Arc. I'm lucky I can pulled them in Off The Air.

I would like to get the three EA sats, so I can pick up Locals from the EA dish.
If you have an EA dish, you're already doing the best you can. Changing the LNB assembly isn't going to change the line-of-sight. The reason you aren't getting locals is because L.A. isn't available on EA

Swapping LNB assemblies is not an option as the international LNB uniquely works with 118W.

Then along came HD and Dish put up another dish for 61.5.
61.5 was around way before HD. I remember needing to add a separate dish for 61.5 to get HBO or something back in the 90's. (Maybe it was TVJapan. But, I seem to remember HBO.) And, that's from California! It looked like it was pointed at the ground! I sure was happy when they started mirroring 61.5 on 148.

If you have an EA dish, you're already doing the best you can. Changing the LNB assembly isn't going to change the line-of-sight. The reason you aren't getting locals is because L.A. isn't available on EA

Swapping LNB assemblies is not an option as the international LNB uniquely works with 118W.

I've checked the length of the two dishes i have. The Western Arc dish is about 30 or so inches and the Eastern Arc (Black) is about 24 inches. this is about 6 inches of difference. Since I am using just 118 on the western arc dish. I was planning to swap the dishes and use the EA(Black) dish to get the 118 and then use the WA dish with the EA Lnb to get 61.5, 72.7 and 77.

The question is. Will I get a good signal on the EA dish which is smaller on the 118? Currently I get about 33-35 percent on the 118 due to LOS. The signal is just there to make it watchable. I fear I might loose Qual on the 118. Guess I'll have to try and see.

Now If this works and I go get 118, 61.5, 72.7 and 77. I can try to get HD Locals off of it. I understand LA locals aren't on 77 but then again It does not matter. I can try to get Jacksonville Florida.

Did I state a complex solution. :) I believe I'll have to try and see.
PS: I thought the EA dish and the WA dish are the same length in size. If so then why is my Eastern Arc Dish smaller in diameter? Is it NOT an Eastern Arc Dish? If not then what dish is it. It does show dishHD on it and is black in color.

Yes, your black EA dish is an EA dish. What you are calling a WA dish is either a 1000+ or 500+. It is bigger because 118 is so feeble it needs all the help it can get!

Note also that there are quite a few markets on conus transponders on 61.5.

Note also that there are quite a few markets on conus transponders on 61.5.

I hear you. I just don't have my technical homes in any of those markets. I've purchased a superbuddy of eBay and will try to peak 77 on the current dish. I doubt it will work as the installer tried to get it to work for a long time and he is very good in my opinion.

Also since 118 is so weak. It wouldn't make sense to use the EA dish for the 118. I'm already getting a weak signal on 118. Putting the EA dish will make it worse.

I would not bet the farm any locals on 77 will be there for any length of time. Dish has been moving them off there. In fact, Dish is actually back tracking on needing all three satellites on the EA at least in most cases. I would not doubt they will eventually go to spotbeam also when they move. But it seems there is always a few markets with Conus.

Does Sterling, VA fall under Washington DC?

WHTM [6293 9015] (27)Harrisburg, PA - ABC 27
WHTM [5170 6293] (27)Harrisburg, PA - ABC 27
WHP [5171 6294] (21)Harrisburg, PA - CBS 21
WGAL [5172 6295] (8)Lancaster, PA - NBC 8
WPMT [5173 6296] (43)York, PA - FOX 43
WJLA (7)Washington, DC - ABC 7
WUSA (9)Washington, DC - CBS 9
WRC (4)Washington, DC - NBC 4
WTTG (5)Washington, DC - FOX 5
WDCW (50)Washington, DC - CW 50
WDCA (20)Washington, DC - MY 20

I believe it is Washington DC. Spotbeam !!! for now. :(

Local Channels (Sterling Dish Network)
4WRCPrograms on NBC include: Today, Wimbledon, Community, NBC Nightly News, Who Do You Think You Are?, Parks and Recreation, Chuck, Main article: qubo, and The Office. Local/HD
5WTTGPrograms on FOX include: America's Most Wanted: America Fights Back, NFL on Fox/Fox NFL Sunday, NASCAR on Fox, The Simpsons, Master Chef, Family Guy, Bones, Hell's Kitchen, and The X Factor. Local/HD
7WJLAPrograms on ABC include: NASCAR, Dating in the Dark, The Replacements, American Music Awards, Castle, WNBA, Good Morning America, Just For Laughs, and Rookie Blue. Local/HD
9WUSAPrograms on CBS include: Grammy Awards, PGA Tour Golf, Face the Nation, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Two and a Half Men, Mad Love, Flashpoint, Academy of Country Music Awards, and Sabrina, the Animated Series. Local/HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts