Should I switch to DirecTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
This is not intended to be a bash CV or D* thread....

(if needed replace CableVision reference below if helpful - just wanted to give as much info as possible)

I have been wanting to switch to DirecTV for awhile now, from CableVision (Litchfield Market) mainly for more HD channels and more channels on all of our TV's for less $$$. As it is CV keeps moving channels to digital only - which is fine except they charge so much for a DVR and I already Tivo's and IMHO the quility of using digital STB with a Tivo is too poor and still costly.

The Picture Quality with CV on HD channels is GREAT (we mostly watch locals NBC and FOX, it appears they just turned CBS and INHD). PQ on standard channels is so so not good and not bad - on our 50" 1080P set they look washed out but watch-able.

For people who have used CV and have witched to D* what do you think? Do the new MPEG4 local channels in HD look close to what CV can provide?

Thanks in advance,

I switched to Directv from cable a few weeks ago, and I regret it already. Cable gave a true HD picture (1920x1080i), while Directv is giving their weak 1240(?)x1080i, and it looks nowhere near the quality as before. I am roped into a 2 year contract, so I am just hoping for improvements in the future. Is this MPEG upgrade going to make a picture quality difference?

I wouldn't switch to D*.

I was already married to them with all the equipment. If I was starting fresh I'd go E*, or probably just cable at least until I see what D* does with HD.

The cable here is terrible (like a lot of places) but at least it's easier to wire up and has better HD quality (and quantity some places).

No MPEG4 for that DMA today, but I would bet good money it will be in the next group; soon. Great OTA digital abounds for that zip too.

No MPEG4 for that DMA today, but I would bet good money it will be in the next group; soon. Great OTA digital abounds for that zip too.

I'm in Orange County, CA. Zipcode is 92694 (about 40 miles south of Los Angeles county). By chance is the MPEG4 available to me?

Being in the LA market (as well as the NYC market) I do know you guys get HD locals as well as multiple HD RSNs; but I am not 100% sure if they are MPEG2 only, because of DNS, or MPEG4 only, or a combo of the two. I do know buddies and relatives in the same DMA as you have the H20/HR20 with 5LNB setup; so the reasonable assumption is yes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts