Should I upgrade to a 622? DFW area.

chadv99

Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Arlington, TX
Hello all. I'm a longtime Dish subscriber and I've had a HDTV for 2 years now, getting HD content OTA, waiting on the right time and price for an HD DVR. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 622 HD DVR. I'm looking at getting the HD Silver package with locals, and a second room. I currently have an old 521 in one room only.

I've looked on Dish's website for new customer's and it looks as if the deal is $199 for the 622, $59 for Silver HD (-$10 for 10 months), $5 for locals, and $5.98 for the lease fee. Is this the best deal and will I be able to get this as an existing customer? Are the locals in HD for the Dallas area? I'm going to have to pay more for the install since I have the old dish? Is there any new equipment or deals coming soon that I should wait for? Any info or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

The new dish will be included in the $199 upgrade for the 622. The four major networks are in HD on the DFW locals. The quality on the HD locals have improved in the last few weeks to where they are almost as good as OTA. I would also connect an OTA feed to the 622 because it allows you to use all three tuners at the same time and receive the sub channels. My two 622s have become very stable, with almost no problems since the last software upgrade. There is also a $5.99 DVR fee on the 622, but I am not sure if you pay the lease fee if the 622 is the only receiver on your account. Having the extra 26 channels of HD is great. Even though there is a lot of repetition on some of the channels, there is still a lot to watch. I have not heard of any better deals for an existing customer.

I have a 622 and 942 in Dallas and have good service. I agree the HD locals on dish are very good. I can not tell much difference from OTA. It is nice to be able to record three networks at the same time with the 622.

chadv99 said:
Hello all. I'm a longtime Dish subscriber and I've had a HDTV for 2 years now, getting HD content OTA, waiting on the right time and price for an HD DVR. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 622 HD DVR. I'm looking at getting the HD Silver package with locals, and a second room. I currently have an old 521 in one room only.

I've looked on Dish's website for new customer's and it looks as if the deal is $199 for the 622, $59 for Silver HD (-$10 for 10 months), $5 for locals, and $5.98 for the lease fee. Is this the best deal and will I be able to get this as an existing customer? Are the locals in HD for the Dallas area? I'm going to have to pay more for the install since I have the old dish? Is there any new equipment or deals coming soon that I should wait for? Any info or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
I think you'd like the 622. As Caam said, you've got the opportunity of recording OTA along with LiL HD so essentially, you can record two network HD programs at the same time. It comes in handy when there are two half-way decent shows competing for your time and you're not at home.

I got my 622s on Sunday an dI have to tell you that I really like that WFAA-DT doesnt drop out every 10 minutes.

That being said, there are a few quirks with the 622. Hopefully, Dish will fix them soon with a software update.

I have a 622 as well as some older models... The most annoying aspect for me with the 622 is the Theme menu. Its poorly organized, so I just ended up making lists that I use in place of the Theme menus. Otherwise, I've had no problems with it.

Stew said:
I think you'd like the 622. As Caam said, you've got the opportunity of recording OTA along with LiL HD so essentially, you can record two network HD programs at the same time. It comes in handy when there are two half-way decent shows competing for your time and you're not at home.

Actually you can record three HD network programs at the same time--

1 OTA
2 Dish Local HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)