Should I Voom Now......or just wait

bluphi93

Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I have had Dish for approximately 6 months now and I love it. I just found out about VOOM on Dish yesterday (I know I am a bit slow). I live in Richmond, VA with a superdish, my locals are on 105 (I think).

I call Dish about adding VOOM and was told I needed another dish to receive signal from 61.5 satellite. My question is should I get the extra dish now or just wait? When more hd content is added ,is it assumed that everything will go to 61.5? When mpeg-4 is release will hd content air on the satellites I already receive? I don't mind buying another dish as long as I know I will not be useless in a year.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bluphi93

I think that if Dish distributes Voom from 61.5 to other Voom customers (DirectTV or Cable companies) then it will safe to say that HD will live on 61.5 for a long time.

Keep in mind that not only will you need the new dish for 61.5, but you will also need the DishPro Plus 44 switch. They retail for nearly $200, but I consistently see them on eBay for about $80.

Get the extra dish and Voom channels now. You can then start enjoying 10 additional HD channels.

I'm having my second dish installed on Friday and will add the Voom channels that same day.

Cyclone said:
I think that if Dish distributes Voom from 61.5 to other Voom customers (DirectTV or Cable companies) then it will safe to say that HD will live on 61.5 for a long time.

Keep in mind that not only will you need the new dish for 61.5, but you will also need the DishPro Plus 44 switch. They retail for nearly $200, but I consistently see them on eBay for about $80.

Cyclone,

I assume this switch comes with the New Customer install. It must, yes?

tawhite said:
they are doing the second dish install for a hundred bucks which isn't bad considering the dpp44 switch is like $180.

Yes, I thought it was/is a good deal. I'll have VOOM back and pay less than cable - no DVR this time, but that's fine for now.

I think I'm going to wait, with my luck they will move all the HD content to 110/119 in a few months and I would have wasted $100 to get a dish pointed at 61.5 installed.

It's a personal decision for sure. I know a few of the Voom channels I really missed, such as Rave, Rush and Equator so it is well worth the expense and the channels look really good. I even like HDNews, in 15 minutes I get a quick update on world events.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts