Should I wait before getting the Hopper?

Dimitri S.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Since there seems to be litany of complaints, over an ever-growing list of Hopper bugs, should I wait a few weeks (or months) before I get the Hopper?

In the past, how quickly has Dish issued OTA updates, to fix software bugs in past products?

Since there is no trial-period, and cancellation fees are steep, I'm hesitant to switch to Dish + Hopper, if it means being financially obligated, for 2 years, to use buggy equipment (and be an involuntary and unpaid beta tester).

Has anyone here experienced absolutely zero problems? No freezing... no glitches... no errors... just a perfectly-smooth 100% rock-solid experience?

Dimitri

My experience had been pretty good. Any type of glitches I have seen have been minimal and to not affect my everyday viewing. I do not mess around with the apps or much of the online stuff so if there are major glitches there I wouldn't notice.

Mines been 100% solid for me since Sunday. Some weirdness with the apps the first day, but the 2nd day and since, it seems to be working just fine.

There are bound be some bugs and glitches in the H/J. If you want 100%, you should wait. I also suggest that you read the sticky about the bugs and operability problems. If you read things that will bother you greatly,don't get the H/J. Many of the things in that thread are annoyances and preferences that people would like to be done differently, but not real bugs. Many of those things will probably never be addressed. There is also a sticky of the things people like about the H/J. You have to weigh the pros and cons. But if you are a perfectionist, as are some others on this forum, you probably should wait.

Thanks folks. So, what I'm reading is that nobody, so far, has had a truly 100% error-free experience. (And, for the record, I'm not a perfectionist. I just don't want my DVR to randomly freeze or give bizarre error messages. I believe that's a perfectly reasonable expectation to have, from the get-go.)

Has anyone ever had a truly 100% error-free experience with any satellite receiver, no wait, any electronic device?

Dimitri:

How long are you comfortable waiting? The problems I have encountered so far have been of the nuisance level rather than major flaws. I home in another month or 2 that most of these will be gone.

Thanks folks. So, what I'm reading is that nobody, so far, has had a truly 100% error-free experience. (And, for the record, I'm not a perfectionist. I just don't want my DVR to randomly freeze or give bizarre error messages. I believe that's a perfectly reasonable expectation to have, from the get-go.)

If you read the bug thread, it does not appear that random freezes or bizarre error messages are being reported. I'm sure you are not a perfectionist, but when you ask for a truly 100% error-free experience, that isn't going to happen. It just makes your sound like a perfectionist.

In the past, how quickly has Dish issued OTA updates, to fix software bugs in past products?

While I'm very happy with Dish, but IMO they often take their own sweet time to address issues and sometimes (like with the 922) basically stop development. Over the years there have been many promised fixes etc that have never materialized. I used to be a quick upgrader, but with the Hopper, I think I'm going to wait until I see less bug reports and I see that OTA actually becomes available.

While I'm very happy with Dish, but IMO they often take their own sweet time to address issues and sometimes (like with the 922) basically stop development. Over the years there have been many promised fixes etc that have never materialized. I used to be a quick upgrader, but with the Hopper, I think I'm going to wait until I see less bug reports and I see that OTA actually becomes available.

It depends on the product and the situation. In the 922s case it was decided that it was not going to be the answer they thought was going to be and that's how the Hopper came to be. There was no point spending time on the 922 anyone once they decided that the Hopper was going to be the answer.

I don't blame them. Technology changes so fast now days that I could how some better option may pop up while you are still working on a current project. At that time a company has to make the major decision to stick with the current project or drop it and take on a new project that works better. You can't afford to support both.

It's like the competition and technology passed Dish by while they were still working on the 922 and Dish realized it. Dish decided to take a new course and I actually think they made the correct choice. This system is so much better than what they were trying to accomplish with the 922.

Your first premise to me is an overstatement. "A litany of complaints." If that's how you are reading things I think you will not be happy with the Hopper, or VIP receivers. When you say "nobody so far, has had a truly 100% error-free experience" that ignores two responses right in this thread "Many of the things in that thread are annoyances and preferences that people would like to be done differently, but not real bugs." Or, "Mines been 100% solid for me since Sunday." That last one I guess you are only looking at the first day instillation with some "weirdness" of the apps.
Based on that my gut tells me you should not get one or switch.

Thanks for the responses, folks. I've had plenty of error-free experiences with plenty of *software* (and to be clear: that's what we're talking here: software, NOT hardware).

Most *software* I've used has been free of bugs. And, the times when it wasn't, it was always because of a lack of proper testing, on the part of the entity that released it.

I'm a software engineer; I've seen, first hand, this disturbing devolving trend where the old Beta is becoming the new Release 1.0.

I'm not a perfectionist, nor do I appreciate my perfectly reasonable concerns being characterized as some reductio ad ridiculum argument.

Thanks to all who gave helpful responses.

Dimitri

Made the switch from cable to Dish on Sunday. It was a *pain* in the rear to install (a lot of technical issues) and took about 8 hours to get it up and running. But I don't blame the installer, or Dish, for that matter. It's a new system, and there was bound to be issues. I was the guinea pig for the next guy to order it, so it should go better the next time around. Now that it up and running, I have to say that the hopper is, beyond any doubt, so much better than anything Time Warner could ever offer. Well worth the extended install time. I even managed to get my old Harmony remotes working with it, so the setup in my house is as seamless as it was with cable, but now with more HD channels.

If I could have a do over, I would wait. The limit on timers is making the DVR almost useless. I've deleted down to 26 timers and I still can't add a timer or record anything manually. I wasn't happy with the 50 limit on shows to record I had with Directv, I'm certainly not happy with this.
I can live with the other bugs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)