Should I wait for the HR20?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brandnew

Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
I just joined the forum today as I am just getting started with my D* (new to the lingo ;) , but I still don't know what E* is :confused: ) HD research. I have been a D* customer for a couple years and a TiVo user for about 18 months. I am shopping for my first HD TV right now and wondering if I should wait until the HR20 is released in Chicago before I order an HD receiver...

I called D* today before finding this forum to ask them what kind of receiver I will get if I order an HD unit and they woman on the phone couldn't tell me what they were sending. It was going to be $399 and I balked at paying that much for "whatever is available at the time" so I didn't order anything.

Should I wait for the HR20 to order a new receiver? Can I only get them from D*?

Thanks in advance.

You can buy them on ebay now from several sellers. A few other online directv retailers have them for preorder nationwide and may be shipping very soon, if not this week.

E*=Echostar or Dish Network.

Value Electronics has the new HR20 for $299 no haggling. You can call retention group and haggle something out. You can also look at the HR10-250 which is the HD Tivo unit. If you get local HD over the air (OTA) then its a viable option.

Welcome to the forum!!

Call retention at DirecTV and get yourself one for free. May take a few calls, but keep trying. 800-824-9081.

Even if you have to wait, free is better than $300-$400.

Tonedeaf said:
Call retention at DirecTV and get yourself one for free. May take a few calls, but keep trying. 800-824-9081.

Even if you have to wait, free is better than $300-$400.

I just got one for $174 and I'm happy. Since i'm a new subscriber, I don't have much to haggle with. ;) Looks like the wait for the HR20 is over though....

Welcom BrandNew, in addition to agreeing with the above (particularly Value Electronics) I also recommend you visit the Glossary via the link at the top of the page. It helped me out a lot when I was getting my sea legs. Again, welcome!

Just called the retention # and told them I wanted to swap my leased HR10-250 for the HR20. They are coming out Sept 9. The order shows only a charged of $21.60 for handling. No haggling necessary.
Just checked my online statement and they credited the $21.60 so it's el freebo. :)

Last edited:
I was not able to get retention to order an HR-20 for me. According to the rep I talked to it is not available in Chicago yet. I have had 2 techs out now trying to get my off air antenna to work with my HR10-250, but no luck.

Football season is soon approaching, I was really hoping for CBS/FOX in HD for NFL.

:( :( :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)