Should I wait, or go with Direct now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I want a HDPVR. But, I really don't want to get screwed on the deal. I was one of the first to sign up with them, paid $900 for a RCA reciever (which sits in the garage) then, a year later, the prices dropped and they were offerring free programing.
Well, I have been with DISH for six years. I called Direct to ask what deals they have. The only one offered was that "four months free" which is great, but you have pay over $250 for the NFL package, and that irks me, as I don't even like football!
The equipment deals don't interest me as I could care less about getting a free reciever as, I still have that 1st gen RCA that can go in my daughters room.
Lastily, I hear talk about a new 5 lnb being required for future HDTV use. Great, does this mean that I could shell out $1000 for a HDTV pvr tomorrow and have to upgrade my dish next week?
Are there any deals or people I can talked to get a deal on programming? Should I wait? Are there any other HDTV PVR's coming out that might be able effect a price cut in the Hughes unit?

Actually, that $250 is less than you'd pay for TC Premiere for that 4 months.

This is like buying a computer, no matter when you get in, there's bigger and better on the horizon. If they have what you want now and its in the budget you're willing to spend on it, go for it.

Well, I talked to several different people over a Direct. I was told that would give me a free basic reciever to replace the one that I paid $900 for back '94, free installation and two movie channels for $2 a month for 6 months. I think this is just pathetic. If I am going to make a $1000 committment (with HDTV Tivo), I think they could do a little better than a $115 ish credit.
One thing that bothers me is that when, as a first adopter, I paid extra for the a RCA reciecer with a high output connector so that it would be upgradeable to HDTV in the future. Now, the thing is just a paperweight.
Oh well, I guess I stay with DISH...

I would wait for the next generation of receivers from D* coming down the pike in an couple months and see where DVR's are going with them. That's what I'm going. No way I'm going to spend $1000 on a box that can't do all the new interactive and other services that are coming.

If you've got the $'s now and D* has the programming you want why wait? There's always something better coming down the road, if you always wait for it you'll never get it. Yea, I spent $1K for the HR10-250, which hastwo 2 D* HD tuners, two ATSC tuners and a 250GB harddrive. Just a few months earlier I spend $300 for a D* HD STB that had one D* and one ATSC tuner. For $1K I think you're getting a lot for your money.

I have the same concern as this poster. I am worried that the HDPVR will not work w/the 5 lnb dish or that they will start to implement MPG4 in the next few months w/no upgrade path.

Any ideas?

They certainly won't implement MPEG4 in the next few months, nor will they introduce a new dish that won't work with a current receiver (though I wouldn't consider a '94 receiver current... it can't address multiple satellites, and it can't remap local channels to the proper numbers). But, the HD PVRs will certainly come down in price, and it's quite possible a newer one will become available in the near future (within six months maybe??) that will offer some new features (interactive channels), more recording time, or fix some issues (HDMI reliability). Not saying I know any of this is going to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, I'd hang loose and see what happens. If nothing else, they may come up with some better promotions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)