Should I wait?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bkarnes

Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
I am considering getting voom while they are still doing the $0 upfront offer. Should I wait for the DVR to come out, or for the next offer? I would be bummed if I signed up and 3 days later they offer something better!

Thanks!

bkarnes said:
I am considering getting voom while they are still doing the $0 upfront offer. Should I wait for the DVR to come out, or for the next offer? I would be bummed if I signed up and 3 days later they offer something better!

Thanks!
It isn't likely that the DVR will be out anytime soon and less likely that they will have a better sign up deal anytime soon. Just go for it...if you don't like it you can always cancel.

I just got off the phone with a Voom CSR and had asked about the DVR. She said they are still working on a DVR model. She said that they management isn't going to give out a date, which means it will propably just be out.

Actually, when they give a date expect one month after the date and if they can't give you a date, expect 6 months. :D

I haven't had much of what I would call a problem with Voom other than installation and thats not there fault. I wouldn't wait if you want HD. If HD isn't all that for you then I would wait. As someone said above, its free if you want to cancel at a later date! :D

I am getting Voom deinstalled tomorrow after 2 1/2 weeks of headaches with the buggy box and rain fade issues. Not worth $50 if you ask me. The PQ isn't what I expected it to be.

Quirky Box???

Is the box really that quirky? I have digital cable now with HD service, and it is a little quirky too. I have to reboot on occasion when it locks up, audio goes out, etc. I think all of these new technologies have their share of quirks. As soon as they get all the problems worked out, they come out with a new box with it's own new set of problems. They seem to be using Microsoft's development strategy! :)

All I know is that I am paying about $70 a month for Cable service (no movie channels) with only 6 HD channels. (3 locals, DiscHD, INHD1, INHD2) It seems I can get way more channels in HD, plus get all the local channels (including the secondary programming they may offer) for about $50 a month. Just to make sure I am comparing apple to apples, are there any other fees hidden in the cost of VOOM?

Although the cable company will be adding a few more HD channels in the future, I know that they are pretty much tapped out their bandwidth in the Oklahoma City area. They have no hope of competing with VOOM's HD lineup.

Right now, I guess I'm leaning towards VOOM. I won't be out anything if it doesn't work out.

Voom is known to have program guide issues to where it locks up the box. We went through 3 or 4 reboots a week with our box.

bkarnes,
Everyone can give you a personal opinion about VOOM. And trust me, you will find the entire spectrum of opinions on this forum! But it all boils down to your individual preferences and priorities. And the only sure way is to try it for yourself and make your own decision. And with the current $0 down no-contract deal you don't have much to loose. Try it for a month or two and then decide.

but don't expect 39 channels of HD..........more like 6 or so of "True HD"
rest are cheesy upgrades

The Cinema channels really didn't look too HD to me. You could tell they were upconverts.

Neutron said:
The Cinema channels really didn't look too HD to me. You could tell they were upconverts.
Don't put that monaker on the Cinemas only...HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Encore, ABC, and CBS all upconvert/convert their movies to HD from their original source.

taking a movie from 35mm film to HD is not an upconvert. I think we should watch how we use that word. In the case of cinema10 they are converting film of usually higher resolution than HD to HD. That is not "upconverting". That word implies taking something like SD and converting it to HD. Lets be fair in our criticisms of Voom. I for one do criticize them all the time. The problem with Cinema10 IMO is not the picture quality, its the fact that it should be Cinema5 each running 4 movies a day about 3 times a day, and the bandwidth redistributed to improve PQ on all HD channels.

As for Ilya's comment, its not what your preferences are, its more what problems or the amount that you have. Some have to reboot their boxes everyday, some every week, and so on. It depends on the luck of the draw it seems. If it were me Id wait till Voom changed to its new Dish and WM9 so I got it right off the bat. The existing users will have to wait for a long time to get upgraded, thats my guess.

vurbano said:
The existing users will have to wait for a long time to get upgraded, thats my guess.

I hope we don't have to wait, I thought that the Beta testers (existing users) got the latest gizmos...of course its just a guess :D

bkarnes,

I came from the same place, I too was a Cable guy (Comcast) for over 5 years, and was getting their HD package. It was ok, but was paying the same that I am now for 3 VOOM stb's compared to only (1) HD Comcast box and (1) SD Comcast box, I feel Voom is headed in the right direction and has the right idea. But they will need to iron some issues out of course, I've had mine installed for almost a month and it has worked great for me. I'm really impressed with the PQ compared to Comcast. If you are expecting Plug-n-Play then I would wait a little while, these forums can seem a little misleading. This is only the beginning.

If you are in a decent location and can receive OTA, it maybe what you want.

This is my first time with Satellite and it I'm enjoying it.

I love Voom and have had minimal problems. But I would advise you to WAIT until the current software upgrade settles down. Who knows, it might be followed immediately by another upgrade if new big problems come to light. Let it shake down.

Meanwhile, check the Voom programming content at the Voom website. The most valid complaints are from people who just don't dig the content. The box problems and other service and delivery problems will go away eventually. But if you don't like the content, all the PQ in the world and a flawless box won't matter. You can get a good idea of the Voom content at the Voom website, and by reading the Zap2It program listings.

The next hurdle is the install -- you might get a good install or you might not. The installers might show up when they say they will, or they might not. Luck of the draw.

Fortunately, you have discovered THIS FORUM which is an essential part of using and enjoying Voom. There is not much communication directly from Voom. We depend on shared insights, leaks, and hearsay on this forum. From experience you learn who to believe and who to filter out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)