Should I wait?

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I'm thinking of buying another DVR either the 508 or 721 but this whole mpeg 4 thing worries me I Don't want to buy it now and have it where I can't use it in a few months or a year when they change to Mpeg4 and it would then become useless correct? Should I wait until Mpeg 4 rolls out until I buy another DVR or will they upgrade the one I buy to a current one when they do change formats or will I be stuck with something that is just useless and have to buy a new reciever? I want another one but am worried about the Mpeg 4.

I've not seen any mention for a time table to change the SD channels to MPEG4, just the HD channels. So since you're looking at SD DVR's I'd say go and get one now.

My understanding is SD eventually, but several years away. I'd like to see Rad's HD timetable, though.

Stargazer said:
Personally I would wait because MPEG-4 is just around the corner.

Yep. Projections say it will take at LEAST 5 years. They have to replace all of the HD boxes first. Then, they would have to start the changeover with the 25 million current SD boxes.

hometheaterman said:
I wish I had of bought the 721 when Dishdepot had them I may end up having to buy a used one now.
Mark's bargain bin at Dish Depot has a used 721 for $169 shipped. Has a 30 day warranty and you can add your own warranty through dish. Better than E-Bay...

I meant Dish Store but I would buy from Dish Depot also. I really want atleast a year warrenty and thats why I haven't bought a used one.

If you plan on owning a DVR, that protection plan is a good investment after the initial warranty expires. Or you can risk it and just buy a new DVR from ebay or someone here when the systems die. They are still mechanical HD's and they will eventually die.
I have 3 dvr's and all work great, but I also have the protection plan because I have 3 of them.

There have been some conflicting reports that you can add it and make a claim, then a month later, cancel it and others have said that now you need to keep it for a period of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)