Shouldn't HD audio be in 5.1?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I noticed the Big Ten Network is not 5.1 and I thought all HD had this audio. Am I wrong? I just dig these new HD channels, just not the glitch in changing channels with the H20.

Just like everything else with HD.... the channel has to be broadcasting it that way, and they don't all do it. Some use two channel Dolby, some just use whatever, and some use 5.1 but only for certain programs. I would expect that you'd get 5.1 on BTN HD when they are showing a game.

Also make sure you have your settings correct to output 5.1 from the receiver.

Just like everything else with HD.... the channel has to be broadcasting it that way, and they don't all do it. Some use two channel Dolby, some just use whatever, and some use 5.1 but only for certain programs. I would expect that you'd get 5.1 on BTN HD when they are showing a game.

Also make sure you have your settings correct to output 5.1 from the receiver.

Yes make sure you go to menu>setup>audio>turn dolby digital on. its off by default

With my Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, I'm getting Dolby D on many channels when in fact only the front main speakers are active (stereo), nothing from the rear. Something ain't right when my processor is showing Dolby D but it ain't so. Easy fix is shutting the Dolbly Digital off and using either Dolby Pro Logic 2x or NEO:6 Cinema. Wiith any other source I've ever used, if my Sunfire said Dolby D or Dolby-EX, it was just that. Not true with my HR20-100. :rolleyes:

Robin

With my Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, I'm getting Dolby D on many channels when in fact only the front main speakers are active (stereo), nothing from the rear. Something ain't right when my processor is showing Dolby D but it ain't so. Easy fix is shutting the Dolbly Digital off and using either Dolby Pro Logic 2x or NEO:6 Cinema. Wiith any other source I've ever used, if my Sunfire said Dolby D or Dolby-EX, it was just that. Not true with my HR20-100. :rolleyes:

Robin

The header in the bit stream could be tagging all the programs as such when in fact there isn't any data on those audio channels.

OP: is just pointing out another misconception about what is and was isn't when it comes to HD.

Add this to the likes of resolutions, aspect ratios / letter and pillar boxing, and whether or not a channel must be HD 27/4..

Robin

Dolby Digital does not have to be 5.1. Some channels use DD 5.1 for prime time shows that have surround, and DD 2.0 for the rest, instead of PCM stereo.

Dolby Digital does not have to be 5.1. Some channels use DD 5.1 for prime time shows that have surround, and DD 2.0 for the rest, instead of PCM stereo.

It's really not a problem as it shows up real easy in my home theater when the rear speakers are dead and it's not a big deal to switch the DD off and convert the PCM signal to Dolby Pro Logic 2x, a process that is nearly as good as Dolby Digital and has excellent spearation of channel information. Dolby has come a long way since it first showed up in cassettes back in the early 70's.

Robin

HD Net Movies is an example of a hi-def station that regularly broadcasts audio in less than 5.1.

Many of the old movies are originally recored in mono. In that case, they are broadcasting DD 1.0. Stereo is DD 2.0.

Not wrong, just different.:)

Like texasbrit said, the standard for High Definition is Dolby Digital. It can be either 2.0 all the way to 7.1 and anything in between.

Each channel can do its own thing. CNN is in stereo on HD but not 5.1. I think alot of networks don't always think about audio when they do their HD nets or that is usually the first thing to be cut for budget reasons.

i notice on UHD-HD my pio elite reads 5.1 but, i'm real anal about my sound system. i can usually tell if something is amiss. so on UHD i see the 5.1 flag on my receiver and can tell i'm not getting anything out of my center channel and it's being phantomed. to confirm this i put my ear to the center and sure enough... nothing. weird. never happens on any other channels or any dvd's. not sure it does this on UHD every time for every show because i rarely tune to it. but, whenever i have- i have noticed this. anyone else notice this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)