Shows are being cut off a minute before the end of the show. Why?

davemich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
SW Lower Michigan
When recording shows on TNT, TBS and USA, no matter how I set the timers, I am getting the last and most important minute of the show cut off? This happens when I'm recording back to back shows on the same channel. Why is this happening? Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

These networks want you to keep watching the next program and let them run long sometimes as much as one minute. Normally, the dvr should pad the recording by 3 minutes, but if you are setting timer for another show (even if it's on the same channel) it gets cut to 0. The next program picks up all but maybe a couple of seconds. If the Hopper had a manual timer you could set up for the whole block of shows you want to view and you wouldn't miss any part. Another option would be if the mapped channels were not removed from the guide, would be to alternate the shows by using the normal location, then the mapped location, the the normal location to get the padding on both ends of each recording but you would making use of two tuners during the four minute overlap.

This has been bothering me for years and I'm wondering why I haven't seen more people griping here. If I have an available tuner, why can't both programs be recorded when they overlap? Actually, it would just need to save that piece to 2 separate files and one tuner is all that's needed.

This has been bothering me for years and I'm wondering why I haven't seen more people griping here. If I have an available tuner, why can't both programs be recorded when they overlap? Actually, it would just need to save that piece to 2 separate files and one tuner is all that's needed.

Amen, brother! :rant: Its driving me nuts on recordings of Pawn Stars on History and Big Bang Theory on TBS, which are the worst offenders of the programming I record. If absolutely nothing else...just find a way to eliminate the delay between one timer ending and the following one firing. It always manages to cut out the "punchline" at the end of the shows on my recordings.

This post is quite disappointing actually, as I had been wondering if the Hopper handled this situation any better than the prior DVRs. Apparently not. :(

good to know the kangaroo hasnt fixed what alot of folks feel is a simple thing and that is the overlap on the same tuner
Directv can handle it just fine on all their DVR's (except the old R15 and maybe the R16) but those grab the 2nd tuner for the overlap

I know on my dad's DVR (625) we had to set up a weekly timer for Pawn Stars on the "west coast time" (which is like 1AM here in Minneapolis) and set it to start 2 minutes early and run 5 minutes late so it did grab both tuners (and get both complete episodes)

On PTAT on the networks I am getting the full show and sometimes even the beginning of the next show. But the same show on it's own is complete as well. I have my timers set for 0 early and 3 minutes late. But on the other cable channels there is a problem with shows running over and the 3 minute pad takes care of it ,unless there is too many shows hitting at the same time. Then there are no more tuners to use and the show gets cropped if there is over runs.

When recording shows on TNT, TBS and USA, no matter how I set the timers, I am getting the last and most important minute of the show cut off? This happens when I'm recording back to back shows on the same channel. Why is this happening? Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You have to manually go into your timers and set the overrun to 5 minutes on the first of the two back to back recordings. This is why i'm not a huge fan of the 9400 range HD channels being hidden to the folks with Hoppers. Right now I record Warehouse 13 at 9pm and Alphas at 12am but if I still had my 722 I would record Alphas at 8pm on channel 122 (the HD map down) and then record Warehouse 13 at 9pm on channel 9432. (the real channel, but is hidden to subscribers with hopper hardware)

My overlaps work fine (switch to other tuner for the 2nd show) with just 2 minutes early and 2 minutes late on my 722.

Last edited:
Back-to-back recordings work fine (switch to other tuner for the 2nd show) with just 2 minutes early and 2 minutes late on my 722.

Where did I hear this before? :D

Back-to-back recordings work fine (switch to other tuner for the 2nd show) with just 2 minutes early and 2 minutes late on my 722.

Thanks for posting...I'll certainly give this a shot. :up I think I have mine set with just one minute late and nothing early.

You can see proof of this by viewing the Daily Schedule of back-to-back shows. When I had it set to 3E/1L or 1E/1L the first show's ending time was ignoring the late padding and was set to the start time of the next show. When I changed it to 2E/2L the end time of the first now overlaps, I guess by firing up another tuner for the second show.

Thanks for the tip. Wonder why 2E/2L is the magic combo?

Edit: 2E/1L also appears to work. Weird.

Last edited:
Thanks for verifying and glad I could help. This issue came up about a year ago in another thread and IIRC I was one of the only ones that seemed to confirm that 2E/2L works for recording overlaps by switching tuners. It is definitely known that the factory default of 1E/3L does NOT work.

I noticed this problem immediately after switching from D* last year. The guide D* uses has shows on channels like TBS and FX listed to the minute, like 9:32 - 10:02, whereas our E* guide will list the same show as 9:30 - 10:00. My observation was challenged and was verified by Iceberg. If E* would time their guide to the minute instead of apparently rounding down to 5 minute intervals most of these problems would be solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)