Showtime Standalone Online Service To Debut In Early July

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The service, which doesn’t require a cable or satellite subscription, will be calledShowtime — just like the channel. It will cost $10.99 a month, underpricing HBO Now at $14.99. And it will launch in early July, in time for the July 12 debut of the new seasons of Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex. It will initially just be available via Apple.

“Going over-the-top means Showtime will be much more accessible to tens of millions of potential new subscribers,” Moonves says. “Across CBS, we are constantly finding new ways to monetize our programming by capitalizing on opportunities presented by technology. This works best when you have outstanding premium content – like we do at Showtime – and when you have a terrific partner like Apple – which continues to innovate and build upon its loyal customer base.”

deadline.com

I don't think it's a channel.
It's the entire VOD line up.
With a live East and West feed.
Doesn't seem too bad of a deal.
It cost more than that with a provider.

It didn't say, but if you're outside of the US you'll have to VPN it like HBO. Looks like Apple paid for another exclusive again. Roku and ChromeCast have a larger user base though.

It didn't say, but if you're outside of the US you'll have to VPN it like HBO. Looks like Apple paid for another exclusive again. Roku and ChromeCast have a larger user base though.

They are not thinking TV only, selling to the iPad, iPod and iPhone users also, much larger user base right there, I am amazed how many people under 30 only watch TV on the smaller devices, my kids (20 and 25) included.

Until that cable internet you pay for raises it's rates based on usage... ;)

Not just one useage! Most cable companies charge a higher rate for 'internet only' customers. Mediacom around here charges a $15 surcharge if you don't have TV or Phone service. New internet customers don't see it as it doesn't apply to the sign up promos.

Not just one useage! Most cable companies charge a higher rate for 'internet only' customers. Mediacom around here charges a $15 surcharge if you don't have TV or Phone service. New internet customers don't see it as it doesn't apply to the sign up promos.

TWC does not have a surcharge, but they have a pretty big bundle discount. But, Showtime is an add on, and does not lower the package rate, so dropping it just lowers the cable/internet bill.

Just get business class. Easy and no usage fees and bs fees for stbs

Not here. At work we pay $80 for a 7/1 DOCSIS connection from TWC Business Class to use for testing things and for guest access. For regular employee access and production we have a 10/10 dedicated fiber connection from TWC BC as well, along with PRI over fiber from them for phone service. I pay $65 for my 50/5 residential connection at home that will eventually be 300/20.

I could never see myself using these types of services. I don't want to get home from work on a Monday, launch some type of app to watch Penny Dreadful, logon to it. Scroll and click to find the episode I want, watch the episode. Close the Showtime app, launch the HBO app, logon to it, scroll and click to find Silicon Valley. Right now I just hit one button to power on my cable box, AV receiver and TV, another button to bring up my DVR list, and then Select to Play. When the show is done, I delete it and move on to the next. I do not understand the appeal of this brave new world of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Insert other IPTV service here whatsoever. And I will never understand why anyone other then a 5 year old in the backseat of a car would want to watch video on a small screen like a smartphone or tablet.

I could never see myself using these types of services. I don't want to get home from work on a Monday, launch some type of app to watch Penny Dreadful, logon to it. Scroll and click to find the episode I want, watch the episode. Close the Showtime app, launch the HBO app, logon to it, scroll and click to find Silicon Valley. Right now I just hit one button to power on my cable box, AV receiver and TV, another button to bring up my DVR list, and then Select to Play. When the show is done, I delete it and move on to the next. I do not understand the appeal of this brave new world of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Insert other IPTV service here whatsoever. And I will never understand why anyone other then a 5 year old in the backseat of a car would want to watch video on a small screen like a smartphone or tablet.

To each his or her own, but you forgot to mention additional DVR steps involved with setting the recording or season pass and fast-forwarding through commercials (when not watching premium cable shows). At least with Netflix and Amazon Prime, the shows in my queue are as easy to access as a DVR list, and the next episode in the series is automatically launched when marathon viewing without deleting the previous episode or going back to my list to click on the next episode. And you never have to worry about having enough hard drive space for your recordings should you like to hold on to an entire season or two worth of episodes.

I've also enjoyed the ability to multitask with streaming services: watching an episode at home on my tablet, while keeping an eye on a sporting event on the big screen. Though I wouldn't watch a visually spectacular show like Game of Thones that way; it's fine for most other comedies and dramas.

But I agree that it would be a pain to quit and launch different streaming services to watch all of your shows. I usually alternate: one evening I'm watching stuff on my DVR, the next night I'll fire up Netflix.

I'd rather go to my EPG, go to the channel that a show/movie is on that I'm interested in, advance the guide to the appropriate time slot press the record button, select record entire series with no repeats then screw around typing the name of a show//move with a remote and an on screen keyboard. Don't really care about hard drive space. With a 500 GB and a 1 TB DVR from both DirecTV and TWC that is underutilized, hard drive space is irrelevant. That's 3TB worth of storage. I have Faith Hill's last SNF intro sitting on the DirecTV HR34 and last nights Ultimate Fighter sitting on my TWC Arris 3600. That's it. I watch A LOT of TV. 70+ shows are set to record on my DVRs. I need tuners, and lots of them. I don't need more then 100 or 150 GB of recording space. What I record I watch next day, with almost no exceptions unless I'm out of town. DVRs are not permanent archival media. Also don't 'binge watch' which I find to be an idiotic concept. Can't take watching the same characters in the same situations over and over. About the only time I'll watch two of the same show back to back is when my 30 minute reality shows air that way. Storage Wars, Shipping Wars and Pawn Stars being the main ones.

I've had a PS3 and Xbox 360, I have a PS4 and Xbox One. I have a smart TV, smart blu ray player and internet enabled A/V receiver. I've helped plenty of friends and family set these things up from all of the major manufactures. I find all of these IPTV apps to be much more cumbersome then just pressing a button or three on a cable or satellite box. The user interfaces on these things are also more convoluted then they should be and I'm willing to be these apps themselves (aside from the ones on the gaming consoles) are hardly ever updated. Sunday I cancelled my third free trial of Netflix in the past four years. I almost forgot I had it again, if I didn't get the email reminding me my free trial almost up. It's all old stuff that I've either seen before, have no interest in watching and a bunch of B movies. Last time I had Netflix I used it to watch the first few episodes of King of the Hill that I missed when they originally aired and never caught on Cartoon Network. I think KOTH has since been removed. This time I used it to watch the first four episodes of Shipping Wars, which I never saw. Also watched two and a half episodes of their original series whose name escapes me with Kevin Spacey. I couldn't take it anymore I was so bored with it.

On Memorial Day I watched the pilot episode of Jericho on Netflix only to see a few hours later it was airing on Pop (formerly TVGN Network). Picture quality and audio quality was much better on Pop HD on cable then it was on Netflix. Noticed the same thing years ago during my first free trial, when Netflix had their agreement with Starz. I'd flip back and forth between the same movie on Netflix as it was playing on Starz and there was no question which one was better. The whole live streaming of TV channels also baffles me. The one and only time I ever used any of the 'Watch' or 'Go' apps/websites was last summer during the World Cup. The company I work for is a subsidiary of a large corporation based in Europe and a bunch of the big wigs were in that week, so I let them borrow my laptop, logged into my Watch ESPN account gave them a projector and set it up in an unused conference room so they could watch it on the wall. Besides some NFL Sunday Ticket stuff, that is one of the very few times I've ever streamed anything live that I could just watch on ya know, satellite or cable.

I'd rather go to my EPG, go to the channel that a show/movie is on that I'm interested in, advance the guide to the appropriate time slot press the record button, select record entire series with no repeats then screw around typing the name of a show//move with a remote and an on screen keyboard. Don't really care about hard drive space. With a 500 GB and a 1 TB DVR from both DirecTV and TWC that is underutilized, hard drive space is irrelevant. That's 3TB worth of storage. I have Faith Hill's last SNF intro sitting on the DirecTV HR34 and last nights Ultimate Fighter sitting on my TWC Arris 3600. That's it. I watch A LOT of TV. 70+ shows are set to record on my DVRs. I need tuners, and lots of them. I don't need more then 100 or 150 GB of recording space. What I record I watch next day, with almost no exceptions unless I'm out of town. DVRs are not permanent archival media. Also don't 'binge watch' which I find to be an idiotic concept. Can't take watching the same characters in the same situations over and over. About the only time I'll watch two of the same show back to back is when my 30 minute reality shows air that way. Storage Wars, Shipping Wars and Pawn Stars being the main ones.

I've had a PS3 and Xbox 360, I have a PS4 and Xbox One. I have a smart TV, smart blu ray player and internet enabled A/V receiver. I've helped plenty of friends and family set these things up from all of the major manufactures. I find all of these IPTV apps to be much more cumbersome then just pressing a button or three on a cable or satellite box. The user interfaces on these things are also more convoluted then they should be and I'm willing to be these apps themselves (aside from the ones on the gaming consoles) are hardly ever updated. Sunday I cancelled my third free trial of Netflix in the past four years. I almost forgot I had it again, if I didn't get the email reminding me my free trial almost up. It's all old stuff that I've either seen before, have no interest in watching and a bunch of B movies. Last time I had Netflix I used it to watch the first few episodes of King of the Hill that I missed when they originally aired and never caught on Cartoon Network. I think KOTH has since been removed. This time I used it to watch the first four episodes of Shipping Wars, which I never saw. Also watched two and a half episodes of their original series whose name escapes me with Kevin Spacey. I couldn't take it anymore I was so bored with it.

On Memorial Day I watched the pilot episode of Jericho on Netflix only to see a few hours later it was airing on Pop (formerly TVGN Network). Picture quality and audio quality was much better on Pop HD on cable then it was on Netflix. Noticed the same thing years ago during my first free trial, when Netflix had their agreement with Starz. I'd flip back and forth between the same movie on Netflix as it was playing on Starz and there was no question which one was better. The whole live streaming of TV channels also baffles me. The one and only time I ever used any of the 'Watch' or 'Go' apps/websites was last summer during the World Cup. The company I work for is a subsidiary of a large corporation based in Europe and a bunch of the big wigs were in that week, so I let them borrow my laptop, logged into my Watch ESPN account gave them a projector and set it up in an unused conference room so they could watch it on the wall. Besides some NFL Sunday Ticket stuff, that is one of the very few times I've ever streamed anything live that I could just watch on ya know, satellite or cable.

It sounds like our personal experiences couldn't be any more different in this regard.

I actually find myself typing the name of a show or movie more often on my cable TV settop box than on any Netflix app. With Netflix, I either browse my recommendations in-app (which after 12+ years of rating content on Netflix are pretty spot on) or I search shows using a regular keyboard on my laptop. With the cable TV settop box, I'd have to know the air date, time, and channel to quickly find it in an onscreen guide (and even still, that's much more than three button presses to pull up the guide, select the date, scroll to the channel, and then scroll to the time slot and go through the set up recording process). With so many damn TV channels, half the time I don't remember the channel number associated with any given TV network, which are prone to change every few years. I watch at least a half-dozen series on Syfy each year, but even with a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what channel number that was in my cable TV package.

Regarding quality, the 1080p (with Dolby Digital Plus audio) streaming I get from Netflix via PS3/PS4 blows my cable TV's over-compressed 720p/1080i quality out of the water. I can't imagine what Netflix's 4K programming will look like once I make that jump. The quality of my local CW's HD broadcasts are almost unwatchable, with terrible macro-blocking during any kind of fast movement. Unfortunately, I'm too impatient to wait for many of my favorite shows to be added to Netflix streaming so I put up with the poor broadcast quality.

But I have been able to catch up on many great shows I've missed over the years on Netflix, including Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy and the Blacklist. Netflix streams the uncensored versions of TV shows, by the way (and yes, there is a difference between what airs on broadcast TV and on Netflix when it comes to M-rated shows).Not to mention, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Marco Polo, and Marvel's Daredevil are as good as anything on broadcast or premium cable right now.

The "Watch" and "Go" apps come in pretty handy since half my local college's games end up on ESPN3 instead of on the regular cable TV ESPN channels. The quality isn't great, but it's better than nothing and the apps are easy to use.

Getting back on topic, I can't help but notice many of Showtime's shows end up on Netflix anyway, so if I'm patient enough (since I don't sub to any premium cable channels), I'll get to see most of their original shows at some point anyway, making their new app something I would never need to bother with.

The part I put in bold is where you completely lost me. You say binge watching is an idiotic concept and that you can't take watching the same characters in the same situations over and over and then follow that up with saying you watch several episodes of reality TV back to back. Like Zookster said, to each their own, but I find all the reality shows to be the most idiotic part of TV. That was one of the reasons I canceled my TV subscription for a year and half. I was sick of paying for a couple hundred channels filled with crappy reality shows when I could pay much less money for the few TV shows I actually like.

Your statement of not wanting to watch the same characters in the same situations over and over again would stop you from watching pretty much every show on TV. That being said, it's silly to argue over which TV shows are worth watching because everyone could come up with a completely different list.

As for the rest of your arguments against streaming, it's clear that you are very set in your ways and we aren't going to change your mind. I'm not going to even try to do that. For people who are open to change, streaming can be a good alternative to save some money depending on their personal situation. We can argue all day about whether watching content on a streaming device like the Xbox One or your TWC DVR is a better experience but again, this is subjective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts