shut off dish for winter

sg9999

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Is there a way to shut off the dish service for 6 months without them giving a hassle.??

yeah tell them you want to put the account on Dish Pause. Its like $5 a month and you can reactivate it within 6 months

also (last I checked) you'd still get a few freebie channels and can watch programs on the DVR

Is there a way to shut off the dish service for 6 months without them giving a hassle.??
Hi, I will be happy to help. Yes, you can place your account on pause for up to 6 months and the account will be billed $5.00 during this period. You can choose to remove the pause early with no issue at all and if not it will automatically restore to pre-pause service after the 6 month period.

Mary
If you have a DVR can you still watch recorded programs? I know you still get Channel 101 and maybe a couple more (when I did Dish Pause years ago I got Nasa and Angel One and the "you have a dish at" cards)

Iceberg I believe you can watch DVR recordings without even being connected to the Dish. (I know I could with my 508 - have not tried with the 612)

I already used the pause thing.... anything else??
You can only pause an account for up to 6 months within a 12 month rolling period. If you have already used this option then at this point you can downgrade programming to a bare minimum for the winter. It will not be $5.00 but welcome pack will be $14.99 and any other reoccurring service charges on the account. If you would like to send your account information to me in a PM, I can review your account and see what we can get the billing down too.

Why give them anything?

Turn it off and then use direct TV when you want to get reconnected if they want to hassle you. For $30 probably not a big deal but if Dish makes it a big deal I for one would move on, get some free stuff from Direct instead.

If you have an external HDD you can move all your stuff to it.

Why give them anything?

Turn it off and then use direct TV when you want to get reconnected if they want to hassle you. For $30 probably not a big deal but if Dish makes it a big deal I for one would move on, get some free stuff from Direct instead.

And what are you going to do with all the "stuff" you moved to the EHD? It's worthless without and active Dish system on the exact same account.

rexlan said:
Why give them anything?

Terrible advice in my opinion. Then what find yet another provider when he wants to pause Direct? Have go through signing up with direct and go through another instillation? And as mentioned Ehd becomes useless... I'M sure working it out is better.

yeah thats great advice...shut off the account and sign up with D*...then he'd have another contract. What if he has one with Dish still?
So if he cancels with Dish and the equipment isnt owned then its $15 a box to ship back the equipment....

I would do the Dish Pause if you can. Otherwise Mary can drop it down to the Welcome Pack. Sure its $15 but its better than nothing

Sounds like all the authorities aren't thinking it through very carefully.

Not looking for a pissing contest here, just an opinion and it works for me ... apparently your mileage varies.

I have used the PAUSE thing. It works well, now this year I will pause my home receiver and activate the one in the RV which is my personally owned box. Therefore I can use my EHD and take all my recorded movies with me wherever I happen to park for the winter. :)

The only thing I do not know anything about is online content while on PAUSE. I guess you can still get some free content online. Dunno.

I own my stuff, all of it. I can shut down and turn it on later.... they wont make me contract if I own the stuff.....

I own my stuff, all of it. I can shut down and turn it on later.... they wont make me contract if I own the stuff.....
Absolutely, if you are a Pay As You Go Account, you do not need to go on pause as you can indeed disconnect the account and reconnect in the summer. It is one of the great features about this type of accounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts