Shuttle Launch Coverage By Voom

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
Great! I am watching on the hour reports from the cape in HD and there will be full HD coveage on launch when it takes place. Good reporting by Beno Cook and the rest. Way to go VOOM!:) :)

Tvlman said:
Great! I am watching on the hour reports from the cape in HD and there will be full HD coveage on launch when it takes place. Good reporting by Beno Cook and the rest. Way to go VOOM!:) :)

Does "E" or "D" have a bird going up on this launch?

Do we launch telecom satellites from the shuttles now? I have never noticed that if we have. If I remember correctly, I thought the only "satellite" launched from a shuttle was the Hubble Space Telescope. Is that right?

No more satellites will be launched on the shuttle due to a decision made years ago, right after the first accident, I think.

Dish launches it's satellites from the floating launch deck down near the equator. My guess is that they don't trust the US government with their satellites!

navychop said:
No more satellites will be launched on the shuttle due to a decision made years ago, right after the first accident, I think.

OK, but what telecom satellites were launched using the shuttle?

Slamminc11 said:
Dish launches it's satellites from the floating launch deck down near the equator. My guess is that they don't trust the US government with their satellites!

Does NASA launch any private company's birds?

Current t-minus HOLD for possible weather "no go" about to conduct the poll.

After poll: t-minus 9m HOLD through the launch window (3:53 EST) due to weather .

Last edited:
DBS satellites can't be launched with the shuttle, as the altitude is WAY different. The shuttle orbits about 230 miles up, whereas DBS satellites are stationary at about 23,000 miles up.

Huh? Most or all sats launched by the shuttle have upper stages that take them to their final orbits. The space station itself is in a rather low orbit. The first hundred miles or so up takes the majority of the fuel. After that, there's a lot less gravity to overcome, speaking very loosely.

launching via shuttle costs too much.

Why buy all that fuel to carry both the payload and a 4.5 mil# Orbiter/Booster pack when you can do it much cheaper at the Kosmodrome or via SeaLaunch.

(There are however civil launches at the Cape, they go off the Northern pads)

It's wedged between Fox News and the infomercial channels, ewww...

I think it's probably too expensive because the rockets are disposable and built that way, whereas shuttles have huge "re-usable" parts. Has to cost a lot more to maintain a shuttle than build/launch a fleet of rockets. If for nothing else than shuttles have to sustain life, and rockets don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)