SIAP:Dish now has Pac 12 overflow channels all in HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Digger1

Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
iowa
They didn't have these channels for FB last fall(correct me if I'm wrong) but maybe they had them for bball this winter, as I don't watch that sport. Channels 592-595 I believe. Today they carried the Stanford and Arizona spring games at the same time.

on my hopper/joey's they are 406-XX. Not everything is carried in HD, only some programming....it seems pretty random, it presumably depends on bandwidth.

How is direct able to have their rsn 24/7 in hd ???

More bandwith I'm guessing but is that because they have more satellites in the sky then dish ???

Just a curious by stander

More bandwith I'm guessing but is that because they have more satellites in the sky then dish ???

They either have more bandwith or compress their channels more. I'm guessing the former.

more bandwidth

Directv uses 39 transponders for CONUS HD between 99 & 103 (the 2 HD satellite slots).
Dish on 110/119/129 I only count 19 (3 on 110, 16 on 129)

In addition to the above answer: DirecTV uses Ka band sats, licensed and otherwise used for internet via sat services such as Dishnet and HugesSat, for its HD channels. Ka transponders have grater bandwidth than Ku DBS. DircTV originally had these Ka sats built for a planned internet via sat service and made clear their plans: internet; not HD. So Charlie thought it was safe to finally reveal his plans for Dish to abondon internet (having already lost over $200 million with its investment in the Starband ISP via sat company--and eventually ravage Starband in court) and bet everything on HD. 2 weeks later, DiecTV announces it has changed its mind about the Spaceway fleet (the Ka band sats) and announces that they, too, will persue HD and drop their entire ISP via sat plans which was the very reason DTV had the Spaceway fleet comissioned for a heaping amount of money in the first place. DirecTV then hastaly had Boeing make a few key changes, during physical production at this time, for the Spaceway sats so that would be a bit more suited for high quality video/audio. However, Ka sats are more susceptible to rain fade than the more robust DBS that Dish uses.

The real problem for Dish is that they don't have in orbit spare sats located at each of their operating slots, so the adjacent sats have to carry the load if a neighboring sat should lose a xpndr or so due to tech failure, especially the spotbeams. If the could manage in orbit spares at ALL the current slots, then the could operate at true capacitu.

Last edited:
They didn't have these channels for FB last fall(correct me if I'm wrong) but maybe they had them for bball this winter, as I don't watch that sport. Channels 592-595 I believe. Today they carried the Stanford and Arizona spring games at the same time.

I have watched the Alternate channels in HD on occassion. My understanding is that when there are live events Dish shows them in HD, but generally not not live events. Not 100%, but close.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)