Sick and Tired Of Waiting For Locals, How Can I "Move?"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AmericanZ28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Central California
So the year is 2012 and Directv STILL only has a very select few local channels available in their programming. NBA finals start tommorow, and I wont be able to watch the game :mad:. I have a rather large installation at my home (10 RID's ) and would like some advice on how I can "Move" said installation 100 miles south to receive the locals I want. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
So the year is 2012 and Directv STILL only has a very select few local channels available in their programming. NBA finals start tommorow, and I wont be able to watch the game :mad:. I have a rather large installation at my home (10 RID's ) and would like some advice on how I can "Move" said installation 100 miles south to receive the locals I want. Thanks in advance for any help.
You don't have any Locals? Directv offers DNS service if you don't have locals.

10 receivers? Sounds like account stacking.

??? I have 9 receivers at my home. Is everyone over 2-3 account stackers?

1-living room
2-master bed
3-88 year old mother's main living area (prior family room)
4-mother's bedroom
5-13 yr old's bedroom
6-17 yr old's bedroom
7-kitchen
8-home office
9-rec room (pool table, air hockey, darts, etc.)

seems reasonable to me.

But back on topic, if you are not in the footprint to get spotbeams of the locals for the address you pick, then you still won't have them. Maybe try a neighboring DMA for close locals, or the middle of nowhere for distants. Keep your billing address current however, just move the service address. Also, pick an apartment that has 100 units then use apt 105 let's say. Or add a A or B to an addy.

Last edited:
Oh, and "moving" is against DIRECTV policy. You are only to receive locals in your DMA.

Styler1 said:
Oh, and "moving" is against DIRECTV policy. You are only to receive locals in your DMA.

Really, what are them short creatures with really long tall hair? Trolls?

"But back on topic, if you are not in the footprint to get spotbeams of the locals for the address you pick, then you still won't have them. Maybe try a neighboring DMA for close locals, or the middle of nowhere for distants. Keep your billing address current however, just move the service address. Also, pick an apartment that has 100 units then use apt 105 let's say. Or add a A or B to an addy."

Pick an apartment that has 10 receivers in it, boy that won't raise any red flags!!!

Its not Trolling when he is stating Fact.

But maybe instead of giving him instructions on how to move, Maybe we all should have gotton the OP real story first. He hasn't answerwed any question presented toward him.
He lives in CA, we know for a fact they have DNS service in that state, and right a way you all just give him information on how to do something thats against Directv policy.

:rolleyes:

He lives in CA, we know for a fact they have DNS service in that state, and right a way you all just give him information on how to do something thats against Directv policy.

Well YOU do realize that it is NOT a fact, that ANYONE that CANNOT get locals on DirecTV, automatically qualifies for DNS service. They still have to meet "white area" qualifications, & the fact that DirecTV does NOT offer locals in a given DMA, does NOT automatically mean they can give DNS service "carte blanche" to all those said subs. :rolleyes:

Well you DO realize that it is NOT a fact, that ANYONE that CANNOT get locals on DirecTV, automatically qualifies for DNS service. They still have to meet "white area" qualifications, & the fact that DirecTV does NOT offer locals in a given DMA, does NOT automatically mean they can give DNS service "carte blanche" to all those said subs. :rolleyes:
I didn't say he Quailified for it. I said its fact that DNS service is in that state. We don't know if he quailified , or if he even tried, Everyone just insisted on giving him insider tips, that are against policy.

. They still have to meet "white area" qualifications, & the fact that DirecTV does NOT offer locals in a given DMA, does NOT automatically mean they can give DNS service "carte blanche" to all those said subs. :rolleyes:
Another asked him what DMA is he in , and nothing.

Cental California I find it hard to believe there are no locals.

It's not hard, pick an address where there can't be anyone else's service, and then pickup the phone.

This thread will probably answer your questions:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/269390-moving.html

Thank you SO MUCH, this is exactly what I was looking for!

10 receivers? Sounds like account stacking.

Whats stacking? I have a 3,000 square foot home, and what can I say, I like TV.

what DMA are you in from Central California that doesn't have local served?

Im sorry, I should have clarified. I live in Bakersfield, and only get 6 local channels, NONE of which are in HD.

LOL.

"But back on topic, if you are not in the footprint to get spotbeams of the locals for the address you pick, then you still won't have them. Maybe try a neighboring DMA for close locals, or the middle of nowhere for distants. Keep your billing address current however, just move the service address. Also, pick an apartment that has 100 units then use apt 105 let's say. Or add a A or B to an addy."

Pick an apartment that has 10 receivers in it, boy that won't raise any red flags!!!

Thank you for this! I think Im going to use an in-laws address as his DMA is in so cal and offers pretty much the same programming.

Its not Trolling when he is stating Fact.

But maybe instead of giving him instructions on how to move, Maybe we all should have gotton the OP real story first. He hasn't answerwed any question presented toward him.

:rolleyes:

Sorry for the late response, been really busy working. I live in Bakersfield, and only get 6 local channels, NONE of which are in HD. And sorry, I'm paying over $200 per month to DTV, and I could hardly give a $h!% about their policy at this point.

What exactly is DNS?

Thank you guys for helping me out!

Last edited:
Ah, you want HD locals, you should have mentioned that in your first post. Bakersfield does get locals, but only in sd. Any of the SoCal hd locals should be receivable in Bakersfield with no reception issues.

Ah, you want HD locals, you should have mentioned that in your first post. Bakersfield does get locals, but only in sd. Any of the SoCal hd locals should be receivable in Bakersfield with no reception issues.

I know, I tried to edit OP but can't for some reason. I really dont want to add an OTA antenna. If I did that would also mean that I would not be able to use my DVR functions like I want. But I really appreciate the suggestion.

I know, I tried to edit OP but can't for some reason. I really dont want to add an OTA antenna. If I did that would also mean that I would not be able to use my DVR functions like I want. But I really appreciate the suggestion.

I didn't mean to use ota, although you may be able to. If the stations are in the database that Directv uses, they would integrate into the guide of the dvr and you could record them like any other station. I was talking about the footprint of the spotbeam for the Directv in LA and San Diego locals. They extend far enough for you to get them where you are. BTW, once a post is up for a certain length of time, only a moderator can edit it. I think it's around 45 minutes, but I'm not sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts