Side Benefit of FTA - New Hobbies

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just wonder what the digital revolution is going to bring to the world of TV DX when analog is turned off and the broadcasters migrate back to VHF with their digital signals. It could be an interesting time next summer with "digital sporatic E."
I have often told my wife that there is always a reason why I get into something like FTA, and now SWL/HAM radio.

I think there might come a time in the near future if we want the truth about our news etc, we may have to depend on what is broadcast into our country from outside than trust what we have speaking from the inside.

Shortwave and HAM might become real important again. :)

Thank God for FTA and the international air waves!!

Well...shall I direct your attention to WORLD RADIO NETWORK on our beloved Galaxy 25 KU band. A vast selection abounds of English language shortwave broadcasts from all corners of the world 24 hours a day...in stereo no doubt....

Fred you will be wanting to do DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale (sp.)) next...digital shortwave....after that maybe some of the ham digital modes such as PSK31...

Well...shall I direct your attention to WORLD RADIO NETWORK on our beloved Galaxy 25 KU band. A vast selection abounds of English language shortwave broadcasts from all corners of the world 24 hours a day...in stereo no doubt....

Fred you will be wanting to do DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale (sp.)) next...digital shortwave....after that maybe some of the ham digital modes such as PSK31...

These things you speak of I have only heard about recently and will be asking questions tomorrow at the HAM breakfast, but do tell me more and links on how to. :)

I might even turn the tables on them and tell them how important an FTA Ku dish might be to the HAM guys. :cool:

Near future? That was, like, yesterday wasn't it??
HeHe

DRM requires some mods to be done to the radio to bring the unfiltered baseband IF signal out to a converter box. PSK31 (for receive only) just needs a wire from the earphone jack to the computer sound card input. Software downloaded for free on the internet will convert the audio from the radio into the typed messages between hams. 14.070 Mhz on 20 meters is a popular PSK31 frequency.

DRM requires some mods to be done to the radio to bring the unfiltered baseband IF signal out to a converter box. PSK31 (for receive only) just needs a wire from the earphone jack to the computer sound card input. Software downloaded for free on the internet will convert the audio from the radio into the typed messages between hams. 14.070 Mhz on 20 meters is a popular PSK31 frequency.

Cool!!

I'll have to do some research and see about the mods.

I just found WRN on G25.

It's remarkable that I have scanned in hundreds of radio channels on the satellites and never paid much attention to them. I guess I'll have to take a second look.

I have often told my wife that there is always a reason why I get into something like FTA, and now SWL/HAM radio.

I think there might come a time in the near future if we want the truth about our news etc, we may have to depend on what is broadcast into our country from outside than trust what we have speaking from the inside.

Well said, Linuxman. I get Canadian news from my OTA. A completly different world view, and not afraid to point out some of our shortcommings.

Rule number one; don't take what you hear from 1 country as fact.
Rule number two; don't take what you hear from 2 countries as fact.
Rule number three; take what you hear from as many countries as you can, sift through the spin all countries place on their 'facts' and decide for your self what is going on.

Think of it as an essay in school, if all your sources are from one or two places, you may only get a D but more likely an F.

FTA and shortwave and internet allow a person to think for themselves instead of blindly listening to the 'facts'. Perhaps this is why most 'closed' countries go to such lengths to make their news the only news their subjects are allowed to hear. Two of our rights in 'free' countries is freedom of speech and freedom of the press, and both allow us to decide for our own selves what is spin and what is real.

Edit: can you tell I'm a news junkie?

Well said, Linuxman. I get Canadian news from my OTA. A completly different world view, and not afraid to point out some of our shortcommings.

Yes, I think everyone should see and hear these other voices, wherever they're coming from, whatever one's political preferences. One reason I got into FTA was Al Jazeera English, not because of their reputation, not just to hear their particular spin on things, but because they weren't being carried, and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. We enjoy incredible freedoms here, I don't intend to let someone else decide for me what I should be watching, or how to think about it.

FTA is great for stirring one's curiosity. Before FTA, I'd forgotten just how good television can be for this.

Fred you will be wanting to do DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale (sp.)) next...digital shortwave....

How well does the shortwave version of DRM work in practice, for listeners here in North America? Anyone got any sound samples?

Lastly, when I heard all the ads for HD radio, I thought, wow, dx'ing AM will take on a new dimension, but apparently that system as implemented is a turkey for long distance listeners. I wonder how well the AM version of DRM works in this regard, anyone know?

Last edited:
FTA and shortwave and internet allow a person to think for themselves instead of blindly listening to the 'facts'. Perhaps this is why most 'closed' countries go to such lengths to make their news the only news their subjects are allowed to hear. Two of our rights in 'free' countries is freedom of speech and freedom of the press, and both allow us to decide for our own selves what is spin and what is real.

Well spoken. The images of illicit satellite dishes in repressive countries are a testament to a common human spirit, the desire to see and think for oneself, and to strive to be free.

Last edited:
I went to the HAM club breakfast yesterday morning down in the city. I had been to this same club about a year ago at the invitation of my HAM buddy.

We talked a bit about a possible venture that I may start at my business. The antenna maker offered to make me a dealer when he was here the other day, and my wife and I have been tossing it around for a few days.

I asked the opinions of the guys who were there and got both positive and negative views about selling ham/shortwave equipment on consignment. All agreed there was a need in the St. Louis area, and they all became more positive when I mentioned possibly mixing that business with selling some fta equipment. Kind of a joint sales effort. Both hobbies are all about scanning the skies for signals. :)

When I mentioned that WRN could be picked up via Galaxy 25 with a fixed 36" dish and an inexpensive FTA receiver of some kind, the interest really picked up. I also mentioned the 150 or so TV channels on that same satellite with TV news from several places around the globe, they really got interested. :cool:

The guy who had come out last Saturday to see my FTA setup had me stop by his house on my way home and do a site survey for G25. Looked to me like he was good to go and I expect him to make a purchase soon. :) BTW, he had an antenna that stretched over half of his house and his neighbors house. It was on an expandable tower and was about 25 feet up when I saw it, but he said it had a motor that would raise it up another 50 feet when he wanted to use it. :eek:

They did say that HAM/Shortwave attendance and new people were showing a slight increase over the last year or so.

So it looks like I will be studying for a HAM license and finding a HAM club closer to me. I'll let everyone know when my new venture is official. :D

ME TOO

N5JLP with almost 20 years in the 2way field.....7 years in cable tv/ broadband...... love this site

WRN is great and I listen to it all the time. Don't forget about the other shortwave favorite Radio Netherlands on 101W. 12120 V 30000. Scans in as BVN RNW. Several different languages to choose from including English.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts