Signal Amplifier/No Locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sgt.Bilbo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
The satellite installers just left my apartment, and I've got a problem. My bedroom receiver gets all the channels, no problems. My DVR box, however, is in the front of my apartment, and the coaxial I have run to it is across the room from one jack, but at the other end of my apartment for the other. Now the cables are both RG59 (problem?) The problem I've got is that I can't get locals on the DVR box.

My questions is this:

Will a signal amplifier help me if I get one and replace the cable I have run w/ RG6? Since the box in my bedroom gets locals, I know the problem is in the cables I have running around to get to the DVR box. Do you think just changing to RG6 will help? :confused:

Will the RG6 carry the signal well enough that I can get my locals and everything else?

Much better than the rg59 will, that's for sure, rg6 runs are good upto approx 130-150ft. Also make sure to use good connectors, don't use them cabletv hex crimp things, use compression connectors. And there can be NO cabletv amps, spitters etc, on the line at all. If you use wall jacks, make sure you pop them off and make sure they are connected properly in the back (two connections, one from center of coax and one from the middle metal jacket, the coax in the walls may be rg59 too, they might give you issue too, so it may be easier to just run a new line direct to the receivers).

Can't run new line as this is an apartment. I really think its the RG59, because we were getting signal from one line, then the other, but not both simultaneously. Plus, right before I left and came back to work (where I'm at now), I ran the setup and it didn't find the 72.5 on EITHER tuner, so my guess is the signal's too weak due to the RG59 runs. Whatcha think?

I dont know if you have access, but try to see if there are any splitters inline of the wire, not necessarily splitting the line (because you cant reliably do so) but just as sort of a "butt" connector.

I had the exact same issue happen to me. D* installed my Tivo, I checked a couple channels and everything worked fine. Signed off on the install then later that night went to try my locals and surprise they wouldnt work. Turns out the already-existing run of cable had a splitter inline, which was NOT DC-pass, so the power was never getting to the sat multiswitch telling it to change sats. Removed the splitter and replaced with a butt connector and all was well.

Oddly enough, the existing run was RG59, and it seemed to work fine. Probably about 75' away from the dish multiswitch. I got *a ton* more signal when I switched to RG6, but the RG59 sufficed for at least a while.

-Chris

charper1,

The only reason I signed off on the install was because they had done all they could. Since my apartment is pretty distant from where the dish was installed, we ran everything we could. The only step that wasn't tried was to re-run all the wires, and I did have to get back to work. I can go to Home Depot (shameless plug) and pick up enough RG6 and run the wire myself. If that doesn't help, then no matter what happens, there's nothing I can do to get the dual-tuner working correctly, as the existing lines just suck in my apartment building.

I enjoy doing this kind of stuff, and I'm not willing to pay someone else for what I can do better and cheaper (running the new cable)

I kind of see what you are saying, but in my book no way, no how would I ever sign off on an incomplete job no matter what. I would make them call their boss, while I called them from my own phone; if the job can't get done correctly then I don't sign. Maybe at that point they can find a way to get it done or explain exactly what the problem is and when and how they can fix it.

These guys were the owners. Contractors out of Circuit City. They can't really fix the problem. Getting ready to head down to Home Depot and get my equipment and run the feed. Now my DVR doesn't see the 72.5 sat at all, so my guess is my cable just isn't up to snuff. Time to get RG6

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts